Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#73145 - 09/05/03 11:01 PM mosquitos
Sims Offline
Hello. We are planning a trip to AC next June. Somewhat concerned about the mosquito population, in that repellent is prominently listed as a must to take, and most hotels show beds with netting. My wife does not do well when bitten several times; it is more than just an annoyance. Could someone give us an honest appraisal of the situation. Thanks

#73146 - 09/06/03 01:01 AM Re: mosquitos
puffy Offline
Make sure you bring bug spray with you and you will be fine. I only needed to use it at night whenever I wanted to sit outside where there's no breeze. I didnt have any problem in the room and there's no AC nor mosquito net.

#73147 - 09/06/03 09:31 AM Re: mosquitos
SimonB Offline
It really depends on where you are staying, some areas are more prone to mosquitos than others.

#73148 - 09/06/03 09:33 AM Re: mosquitos
JeanH Offline
We spent a week in San Pedro this past June and I don't think I was bit even once by a mosquito.
We stayed right in town at the Blue Tang. Might be different in more outlying areas. Jean

#73149 - 09/06/03 09:36 AM Re: mosquitos
indygal Offline
I have stayed in San Pedro and south and never noticed any mosquitos. There is almost always a breeze. I don't know about up north.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

#73150 - 09/06/03 11:29 AM Re: mosquitos
bama Offline
If you take a golf cart North of the Cut, do not forget your bug spray. The mosquitos are huge and strike quick.

#73151 - 09/15/03 10:52 AM Re: mosquitos
shane Offline
last time i stayed in ambergris i stayed at the capricorn (way north of the cut) and got eaten up pretty much every evening.

they spray pretty heavy around the resturant each night too. but the best bet was to wear long pants and a long shrit every night til later in the evening.

i never had any problems in town.

#73152 - 09/15/03 12:19 PM Re: mosquitos
Diane Campbell Offline
Winter - no rain, no bugs. When it begins to rain, the bugs hatch directly after the rains falls.
The bugs cannot fly in an average wind/breeze.
The "road" north and or south does not get a breeze because it is well away from the shore, and the wind is blocked by treese,etc. Also there is a lot of swampy area along portions of the road.
Dusk and Dawn are times when bugs come out for an hour or so, and that could be the case almost anywhere.
Capricorn has a great big "wetland" veryclose behind it, and that is why it has a particular issue with mosquitoes. By no means is it an issue related to being "north" of town - it's related to being next to a breeding bed for insects.
Use "Skintastic" cream (not the spray) with aloe vera as an effective bug repellant - very effective & comfortable. It does not take the paint off chairs, nor does it dry your skin.
For those with very strong reactions to insects, bring some benedril alergy meds - "just in case".
Summary - book a room on the beach, use insect repellant and don't drive golf-carts up muddy roads after a rain nor take long strolls in a bikini at dawn and dusk.

#73153 - 09/15/03 01:51 PM Re: mosquitos
chismera Offline
Better yet, stay in or south of town where the Town Council sprays to eliminate mosquitos

#73154 - 09/15/03 05:59 PM Re: mosquitos
KathyA Offline
Hello Sims. I was on AC this past June. I took plenty of Skin-tastic but don't recall ever using it. We stayed south of town on the water with the lagoon directly to our back. Even on my day trips to the mainland and when I rented a golf cart to explore north I do not remember the 'squitoes being a problem. However, there was hardly any rain and the wind was strong and constant. I will probably be there next May 28th through June 6th. When will you be there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 46 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,687 Topics
461,187 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.