Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#73297 - 09/08/03 02:27 PM San Pedro Hardware closed?
Marty Offline
From the Guardian

Wednesday 3 September 2003

As we go to press, news has been received that the San Pedro hardware store, one of several businesses run by Harmouch in San Pedro has folded and its owner and family are nowhere to be found. The owner simply got up, left the store and has not been seen since.

While information is still sketchy, our informant in San Pedro reports that operatives of Benny’s Hardware were seen on Saturday removing products from the store they had sold to Harmouch on credit. The same was observed on Sunday, this time it is alleged that it was employees of Brodies who were observed removing products.

While the information reached us too late to check with the Belize Bank, our sources say that the Bank is left with a $4 million loan and have already filed papers in the courts and appointed licensed auctioneer Kevin Castillo as receiver.

We were not able to verify which of the many Harmouchs on the island owns the store but were reliably informed that it is the same Harmouch associated with the Fountain Blue Hotel which was built in San Pedro with an $11 million loan from DFC, declared open by the Prime Minister himself, and then was placed in receivership six months later.

#73298 - 09/08/03 02:32 PM Re: San Pedro Hardware closed?
bywarren Offline
Great info Marty. Should be of use to those thinking of starting a business in Belize. Shows the importance of not bring pre-determind ideas on how things should be done in order to succeed. I think the saying goes something like "When in Rome ---------". laugh

PS: I am also quite shocked and concerned that you would put this on our beloved message board opening this up for discussion. Talking about this is obvioulsy another example of sticking our nose in their business and trying to run the country. I will attempt to find and post the number of bankruptcies in the US to clearly show it is a bigger problem here. I will even bet it is the huge demand for loans in the US that encouaged the Belize Bank to supply loans there. :p

#73299 - 09/08/03 03:14 PM Re: San Pedro Hardware closed?
Denny Shane Offline
Well, I think there is a slight difference here with the details of the San Pedro Hardware.

While bankruptcies in the US total a whopping thousands of corporate and personal bankruptcies, no one notices nor does anyone really care.

However, when a business in San Pedro goes under, or the owners disappear, it is BIG news. Personally, I think Marty does a great service since many Belizeans visit this board on a regular basis.

#73300 - 09/08/03 03:26 PM Re: San Pedro Hardware closed?
dogmatic prevaricator Offline
If you polled the folks that worked at Enron & WorldCom, or their creditors, I’ll bet you find that people that care. Greed, fraud, and linings your pocket at the expense of others isn’t limited to first world enterprise or politics, although the bush cartel is leading the way.

#73301 - 09/08/03 03:34 PM Re: San Pedro Hardware closed?
bywarren Offline
You are correct, Denny. You would have been more correct if you would have said "there is a HUGH difference". We do not have all the facts on this recent issue, but we do have enough facts on the Fountain Blue to know that if the same thing was done in most places, it would be described not as a foreclosure or bankruptcy, but as a con, swindle, scam, embezelment or something along those illegal terms.

PS: I think dog's comments are another example of evading the issues at hand by using an "apples and oranges" approach. Having said that, I will fall into the trap myself and respond by saying, people are going to jail in the Enron and Worldcom examples. Let's see what happens in Belize.

PPS: I am still reading dog's comments trying to figure out the relevance. All I can come up with is that his position is "S--t happens, and I am a democrat". :p

#73302 - 09/08/03 04:33 PM Re: San Pedro Hardware closed?
And I thought I was a dogmatic prevaricator. Go figure.

#73303 - 09/08/03 05:49 PM Re: San Pedro Hardware closed?
bywarren Offline
Tell us Dog, which part of Webster”s definition do you feel best describes you? “Prevaricate: to deviate from the truth: speak equivocally or evasively; loosely or to lie”.

If it wasn't for Bill Clinton, you could give a bad name to democrats. laugh

#73304 - 09/08/03 05:57 PM Re: San Pedro Hardware closed?
bywarren, please access and review the following link. I only hope you will be enlightened with this information and see the many striking similarities in your board behavior.

http://www.advicemeant.com/flame/

#73305 - 09/08/03 06:08 PM Re: San Pedro Hardware closed?
sandman Offline
damn, there goes the best money changer too. I was always able to get BZ220 for my US100 from Harmouch.

#73306 - 09/08/03 06:13 PM Re: San Pedro Hardware closed?
bywarren Offline
You are right Dog. I can see the similarities you use someone else's intelect to point out. Oh, what a joy to be part of the club. :p

PS: Before this post deteriates further into political mud slinging, let it be known that I am neither a "flaming" liberal or right wing conservative. I am in the middle. I think Nixon should have resigned and Clinton should have been impeached.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 28 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,029 Topics
462,231 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.