Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#73638 - 09/16/03 11:56 AM First time Belize questions
We are planning a trip to Belize for Next March-April.

We were wondering a few things, We hope you can help.

Where is that "hole" in the reef that you see in every photo? What is it? does it have a name?

Where to stay on Ambergris Caye? (Not AI) What is the best deal (Nice but not too $$$)

Is there any helicopter tours of Belize?
Are the people friendly? (We are used to Arubans)
Is the water/food safe?

#73639 - 09/16/03 12:12 PM Re: First time Belize questions
Magnum Belize Offline
Chris B,

The "hole" in the reef is the Blue Hole and is one of the 3 biggest coral atolls in the world. A must for many divers and snorkelers alike.

Ambergris Caye has many very affordable places starting from $114.00/nt for 2 people. If you would like addl info on lodging you can contact me at 800-447-2931 and ask for Lynn.

To my knowledge there is no helicopter tour, but Tropic has an air tour that goes over the Blue Hole.

The people are some of the friendliest I have ever met(and I have been to Aruba). In comparison to that country you do not have the big hotels and motels, but rather small intimate little properties. Really a wonderful experience with wonderful people.

#73640 - 09/16/03 12:17 PM Re: First time Belize questions
And the water/food?

#73641 - 09/16/03 01:07 PM Re: First time Belize questions
Sandy C Offline
Water and food are quite safe. Very affordable great local food at many places. We really enjoyed Aruba also and people in San Pedro are just as friendly. Recommend you check out Caribbean Villas - small resort with lots of land/beach and great amenities for the price; ask for discount from posted web prices if you book directly. Also, they don't accept commissions from tour companies or guides, so you get objective recommendations and bookings for excursions and in some cases, cheaper prices. Happy first trip...

#73642 - 09/16/03 01:43 PM Re: First time Belize questions
Pedro1 Offline
Chris -my suggestions would be to read up on Belize and then ask questions which are pertinent to your needs,wants etc.

#73643 - 09/16/03 02:03 PM Re: First time Belize questions
Pedro1 Offline
For your info the blue hole (where I nearly drowned at 135ft)is in one of the four atolls in the Carribbean-there are many larger atolls mainly situated in the pacific.
There are hotels available from 12.5usd per night-going right through the range of 1600usd per night.
Helicopter tours are available exclusively for officers of the British Army! Tropic and Maya both do fly-overs.
You can contact me for reservations on this board

#73644 - 09/16/03 03:58 PM Re: First time Belize questions
Bobber Offline
The Blue Hole is a couple hours by boat from San Pedro. Looks great from the air, but from the water it just looks like open ocean. cool
Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt

#73645 - 09/16/03 06:41 PM Re: First time Belize questions
DallasDiver Offline
For the best $ value lodging, I recommend Sunbreeze Hotel, around $100-$120/night, clean, roomy, fresh water pool, bar, rinse shower, foot baths, ice machine, air conditioning, wonderful ocean view and a restaurant $$, on site. They provide bottled water in the pitcher. Sometimes the tap water has an odor, but we have not had a problem from drinking it.
For diving, BottomTime Divers, around $40 for a two tank dive. Rudy Duran is my favorite divemaster there. They have rental gear, if needed. They only take small groups and have very good boats with canopies.
For economical food, Ruby's, Celi's Deli, Tropic Take Out (breakfast & lunch only) across from the air strip, and Erika's at the street vendors location near Central Park, across from the Church. All of these are very inexpensive and good. Everyplace we have eaten has been good food, only some are more expensive.
As far as the friendly people are concerned, You will NEVER, EVER meet nicer or friendlier people. The people are the main reason we return to San Pedro as often as we can. We came for the diving and stayed for the people and the view.

#73646 - 09/16/03 07:36 PM Re: First time Belize questions
Chris Offline
FYI, Pedro does not need to be at 135ft in the Blue Hole to nearly drown. I have seen him do it many times in his bar.

The Blue Hole is located in Lighthouse Reef atoll. The Hole itself is a collapsed cavern rather than an atoll.

Pedro, have you figured out if you owe me 50 bucks Belize yet for that field goal bet?

#73647 - 09/16/03 07:52 PM Re: First time Belize questions
Marty Offline
boy i'm laughing a lot tonight reading the board....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,718 Topics
461,262 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.