Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#75238 - 10/24/03 08:16 PM The first of probably a billion questions/suggestions
Chauncey Offline
Hi all,

We are planning a dive trip/honeymoon to AC next September and have just started looking at places to stay. My first question: Is it a pain to get back and forth from the north of town across the waterway in to town? Would we be better off looking for a hotel in or south of town? We want something semi-quiet but we still want to be close to food and drink. I think that I need to get this decided before I seriously start looking at hotels. Any advice or suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Chauncey

#75239 - 10/24/03 08:27 PM Re: The first of probably a billion questions/suggestions
Denny Shane Offline
Well, really depends on you and what you really want. If you stay north your adventure all depends on when they have their boats going into town. Plus if you notice the timing of the boats, you'll notice that they are designed to keep you on the property at night... to eat meals there and drink there.

Personally, if this is your first trip I would stay south of the cut... you can always stay north next time.

#75240 - 10/24/03 08:37 PM Re: The first of probably a billion questions/suggestions
pfarrell Offline
You're going to get LOTS of opinions on this, here's my 2 cents.

I've been twice. Each time I stayed south of town. First trip (with spouse) was at Victoria House, second (with brother) at Banana Beach.

Most people (not all) will want to take advantage of the various restaurants, bars, and general fun that happens in and around town. There are lots to choose from and you DO want to sample as many as you can. (Just part of the fun of going to this Island, IMHO).

Staying north of the cut involves an extra step in planning your night in town. Either water taxi or cart rental to get you to/from town. Issues of last trip back (water taxi) or last ferry ride need to be factored in. I hate planning on a vacation. Especially nights out.

One thing I really liked about where I stayed was that getting into town and back to hotel at night was a quick, cheap cab ride or a nice walk along the beach (into town. don't think i could have wobbled all the way home each nite on the beach). Taxis are plentiful, easy to find, and the taxi drivers are a great source of info.

In the end, it's all a matter of your own taste's and styles. Victoria House was a great romatic getaway. I think it would be a wonderful spot to honyemoon. Banana Beach was a great crash pad since we were only spending minimal time in our room. Check out the lodging section of this web page. There are lots of options to consider.

#75241 - 10/24/03 08:53 PM Re: The first of probably a billion questions/suggestions
Chauncey Offline
It sounds like staying south of town is definitely more convenient. I really do not want to have to worry about transportation too much. Anyways, I like to walk.
I'm gonna start checking out hotels. Probably be back soon!

#75242 - 10/24/03 11:59 PM Re: The first of probably a billion questions/suggestions
jvid Offline
definatly stay south,much easier,on our third trip we stayed north and moved south after 3 days, it was a kind of a hassle getting water taxis all the time, unless you want alot of privacy,southbeach is your best bet!

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,673 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,048 Topics
462,276 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.