Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#75572 10/31/03 11:44 AM
B
BigBax Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Will be on AC for 7 weeks Jan.-March and would like to visit Corozol. Any advice on transportation, places to stay and, things to do or see in Corozol?

BigBax

#75573 10/31/03 04:17 PM
BigBax:
FYI
We fly into Cancun and take the bus to
Chetumal MX and take a taxi from Chetumal to
Corozal Fly to San Pedro from Corozal.
The only place that we have stay at in Corozal is
Tony's. There isn't much to do in Corozal so
I wouldn't plan on staying more than :rolleyes: 1 day.
There is a airport(field w/2 buildings and
a air strip.
There are so many other places to visit in Belize I wouldn't waste my time in Corozal.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
boop

#75574 10/31/03 08:41 PM
I guess how you take Corozal depends on what you are looking for in Belize. I've been banging around Belize for more than dozen years, and Corozal (town and district) is one of my favorite parts of Belize.

True, there's not a great deal to do, and there are no real beaches, but Corozal is inexpensive, friendly and there is plenty to occupy your time if you look for it. And out of Corozal Town there are some very interesting spots, well off the beaten tourist track such as Cerros, Sarteneja village and the Shipstern reserve, the Mennonite area around Little Belize and others.

Tony's is fine -- the "deluxe" rooms are worth the extra bucks -- but I also like Hok'ol K'in Guesthouse, around US$40 double, plus there are several other spots in the US$25 to $40 range .. and in nearby Consejo there are a couple of places which are very nice yet inexpensive -- Casablanca and Smuggler's Den (and Smuggler's Den even has a beach, sort of).

Don't miss dinner at Cafe Kela (a wonderful meal by the bay for US$6 or $7) and for cheap and cheerful, Cactus is my favorite.

From San Pedro you can fly nonstop (about five flights a day on both Maya Island and Tropic, US$35 one-way) or take Thunderbolt (US$22).

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#75575 11/01/03 02:10 AM
just got back from my 2nd trip to belize...i spent 6 days in corozal, and 7 in san pedro....i have to agree with lan...i was told that there isn't much to do in corozal, but, i didn't stop the whole time i was there...met some of the most wonderful people there...i stayed at t.j.'s guest house, and the owners, darlene & mario, were excellent hosts...hugo the bartender and linda the cook, were excellent 2...they were kind enough, on their day off, to take me out to "santa rita ruins", which was walking distance from the hotel....
met some "local gringo's" there also, and before i knew it, i was invited to a party the next day....margaret, the host of the party, came and picked me up at the hotel, the day after the party, and took me out to "cerros ruins", and lunch at "the last resort" at copper bank....cafe kela, is a definite must...i had the shrimp crepe....mmmmmm!!!!stop in at "charlotte's web" (internet cafe & book exchange)...met alot of great people there....also at nestor's...
if you get out and about, and are friendly, you'll find lots to do....
you'll have a great time....kerry

#75576 11/01/03 12:52 PM
I love Corozal too. It is not as exciting as San Pedro, but it is more of a Central American atmosphere. Ciudad de Chetumal, Mexico is a nice town to visit. Bacalar is interesting too. Of course, it is always subjective about traveling. best-wishes, mel s

Mel Sinderman
#75577 11/01/03 07:12 PM
smile Depending on the person is how they look at or enjoy Corozal Town. Many people love it for its quiet laid back style yet others hate it. Just like some people love Cancun and hate San Pedro and others love San Pedro and hate Cancun. If you are into heavy duty partying this might not be the place. Corozal Town does have a couple nightclubs, some cool bars, restaurants and hotel/resorts. Laid out along the Bay of Corozal, Corozal does not have sand beaches but rather grass beaches. Well manicured grass reaches right up to the waters edge. At Miami beach on weekends you can rent a jet ski, floats or be towed behind a boat on an inflatable banana. The beach gets busy on weekends with swimmers, food vendors, and sometimes there is a band playing live music at a beach party. We have the Santa Rita & Cerro Maya Ruins, cozy fishing villages like Copper Bank, the Cultural Museum, catch a basketball game at the Andres Campos Civic Center, Soccer at Ricalde Stadium.
As the other poster said, day trips to Chetumal, Mexico or Bacalar Lagoon & Village to visit the Fort and swim in the Cenote.
Give Corozal a try.
At Corozal Bay Inn we have a 1.5 acre imported sand beach, pool, restaurant, bar and 10 air conditioned thatch cabanas. cool
Check out our web site at: www.corozalbayinn.com

Doug & Maria Podzun

#75578 11/01/03 08:40 PM
I do get feed back from local Corozolers that the weekend parties are wonderful...if you get in the loop. It stands to reason that if there isn't anything to do, then somethings going on!!!

Gone fishing!!
#75579 11/01/03 09:14 PM
We loved Corozol, quiet town and we stayed at the Corozol Bay Inn. This was before the new cabanas.
May need to try them out again laugh
Your site looks great, Doug.

We went to Copper Bank too and dined at "The Last Resort", great food.
Breakfast at Nestors and just plain enjoyed it in Corozol.
We don't go on vacation to raise hell, we go for down time, so our visit may be different than many. We can raise hell at home if we wanted.

Belize is a laid back country, thankfully, since we found it will be our home in the future.
We'll most likely do our vacationing on Ambergris, like the Belizeans do. smile

#75580 11/04/03 09:11 PM
smile Thank you, NYg cool

Doug & Maria Podzun

#75581 11/04/03 10:06 PM
smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 298 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.