Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bbrace Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Having trouble finding a definitive answer for this: how many cameras and rolls of film can I bring without being charged duty? .. and how much _is the duty?

many thanks!

/:b

Pretty much as many as you like

I brought 10 rolls in in 2000 and didn't have any problems. :rolleyes:

i brought in 7 disposable cameras and a digital...not a problem!

The only time I ever had a problem, it was near Christmas. I'd brought down a bunch of toys to give to kids. The agent went through my bag with a fine tooth comb and found a package of 5 disposable cameras that I'd picked up at Costco. I hadn't separated them out of the plastic wrap when I packed them. She pulled them out and said waspishly "And just who are these for?" I looked at her surprised and replied "Well, they are for me, of course." There was a kaffluffle over the duty on the gift of toys for the kids, but I managed to sway a senior agent.

Sadly, because of all the hassle, I quit bringing toys down for the kids at Xmas.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

wow, seashell, that is really a shame...guess it just depends on the customs officer....i came down in sept. of this year, with 2 very large suitcases filled with school supplies, pet supplies (including pet meds), etc...didn't have a problem with anything...they did open my bags, but just to make sure that what i said was in there, really was....the whole procedure took less than 5 minutes...

The first time coming into the country they rarely open your bags. Its when you are a frequesnt traveler to Belize, they open and check everything.
--Lee

I think you are right, Silk. I brought in a digital, underwater, and 35mm camera, loads of film, lotsa toys, no questions asked.

Perhaps the difference is that you didn't tell them that you were bringing in the toys. I had foolishly decided that telling what I was bringing in, was the right thing to do. When what I should have done, was kept my mouth shut, said I had nothing to declare and just walked on through. However, I had done what is supposed to be the right thing (telling) the year before and the agent gently went through my bags. I had all the toys in the one bag with nothing else, so I was surprised when he went through them all, but no matter. In the end, he said "Those are some lucky kids, have a Merry Christmas" and sent me on my way.

The next year when I did the same, the agent went through everything with a fine-toothed comb but in a very rough manner. She was vicious, as if she was angry and perhaps she was. I tried to be understanding. But when she handed me a duty payment slip for almost equal the value of the toys . . .well there was no way I was going to pay duty on those toys. And there was no way I was going to leave them at the airport either. So, like I said, there was a bit of a kuffluffle.

No good deed goes unpunished.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

I like that word, kuffluffle. I never thought to declare the stuff, figured it was for my own personal use (I got personal satisfaction giving away toys).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 318 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.