Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
divedoc Offline OP
OP Offline
D
A little late doing this but better late than never. We are still enjoying the relaxed feeling we found on A.C. and have a much greater appreciation for our home and loved ones. Not sure what the magic was, not your typical tropical vacation, but we left the island with a deeper love for each other and life in general. Came home with a renewed realization that life is just too damned short to keep pushing as hard as we had before the trip.
We stayed at The Palms-----verrrry nice. Only minor distraction was the noise from the back street at night, woke us up a few times at 2, 3 and 4:00 A.M. but, hey, we had the option to party with the crowd if we had wanted. Husband and son did the dive master class with Elbert Greer thru Ramons and have nothing but good things to say about both the diving and Mr. Greer. Shark Ray Alley was an all time favorite and will be the subject of tall tales for a very long time. All the dive instructors and boat captains were fantastic. The guys would do it again in a heart beat. They still chatter about the reef and sea life. This will be a hard act to follow.
We did find the food prices a bit out of our range but maybe we looked at the wrong places. We loved Rock's Grocery, La Popular Bakery, Celi's Deli, El Patio Resturant and thank God for Ramon's french toast. We also discovered Pauley's Pizza and a little out of the way place - forgot the name - that sold buritos and such. Oh yes, Mangos was my personal favorite. The only place we didn't really care for was Bluewater Grill. Enough said about that.
The bugs were a delight-----NOT! I had to get shots to clear the 40+ bites on my legs after we got home. Guess I'm just sweet. TAKE THE BUG SPRAY!!!!! We found the local folk to be friendly and fell in love with the kids. We were never offered drugs or bothered in any way. We were very interested in the schools and the library and hope that maybe someday we can offer a little help. We take so much for granted here at home and give way too little. The dogs roaming around didn't bother us--- we sleep with a 50 pound beagle- actually they kept us entertained.
Didn't get to do all that we would have liked because the dive classes were pretty time comsuming and intense- so can't say much about the tours. We love the shops in San Pedro and did some Christmas Shopping... our daughter loved the rare black coral necklace we gave her.
I was terrified of the puddle jumper flight from Belize City to A.C. but it turned out fine. We actually flew in probably the worst rain storm I have ever seen and it was over before I had time to be scared. Tropic Air got us there and back without a hitch. Wouldn't want to take the boat.
Anyway, we are glad we went and will probably go back. I have two new dive masters in the family and lots of pictures and stories to tell.
Would like to thank everyone on the island ......
God sure did his best work when he did your part of the world. Thanks for letting us share a part of your life and while doing so learn how to live ours better. Happy New Year everyone....Mrs. Divedoc

S
S
Nice report! Thanks. But a 50 lb. beagle?!?! Scary!!!!!!!!!!!

S
S
divedoc,
Any suggestons on the bugs? Skin so soft, I have also heard Vit E and Vit B6? Deet... Were the problems with mosquitoes or San Fleas, or others?? We will be there in Jan/Feb time frame. Thanks for the great recap!

D
divedoc Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Sammy 17- not sure what the bug monster was-- we saw a few mosquitoes - bird size horse flies but whatever got me did it on the sly. Didn't feel the bite-- just found 50 cent size bites all over. I would highly suggest industrial stength bug spray-- skin so soft didn't work for me. Several of the divers we met were eat up by sand fleas. We were there just after the rainy season so that may have had something to do with it--- don't let the buggies take away the fun of planning your trip. You will have a great time and we look forward to reading your report. ENJOY THE DAY! Divedoc

Sand flies. They are flies, aka midges.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usfeatures/midges/index.html

At this link you will see that the tropics is not the only place they hang out. The guys in Iraq have also been plagued by them. Wherever there is sand and standing water, you will find sand flies/midge flies.

Deep Woods Off, smaller pump spray . . .95% DEET. Only thing that works, apply liberally around ankles feet and shins. Sparingly around arms, back of neck and shoulders. Always wash your hands after applying.

If you still become afflicted, then it's time to take a sip or two of Benadryl liquid and dab some cortizone dabs on your worst spots. If you get to them early enough, it wil all be good.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.