Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#77646 - 12/29/03 10:33 PM Snorkeling in AC
FXSTS02 Offline
Howdy everyone. I am hoping to get in lots of snorkeling when I am down there and am wondering if I should buy my snorkel gear before I leave or can I buy some half decent stuff down there for a reasonable price or do the snorkel boats supply some good stuff with their tours and if so ergo the first two questions are kinda moot. Any info anyone could give me would greatly be appreciated as by my questions you can tell I am kind of new at this. If you recommend to buy what is a good mask to get that will give a good seal. confused Thanks and have a good new year.

#77647 - 12/30/03 12:09 AM Re: Snorkeling in AC
Badco Offline
FXSTS, you can rent equipment, but it is generally a better experience to have your own mask/snorkle. I have an Oceanic mask that I love, but try on several, it should fit your face shape & we are all different. Be sure to snorkle Mexico Rocks, really one of my favorites, very shallow & colorful. I avoid using fins here, the current pulls you along & I have seen much coral damaged from getting kicked as well as people pulling/pushing themselves along off of it. Just wear beach shoes here & enjoy the float. Good spots off caulker as well as shark ray & Hol Chan. Be sure & do a night snorkle, much more large fish to be seen then. I use Amigos del Mar, but the island has many, many great tour providers, they just happen to be my choice. smile

#77648 - 12/30/03 10:48 AM Re: Snorkeling in AC
mikell Offline
recommend buying your own mask at least...go into a dive shop and try on a few to see what fits you...they will help explain how to get a good fit for you...everyone is different...and if you have an odd shape (or a moustache!!) it is often hard to find one...my husband had this problem...but every mask in the shop fit me well!

you can often get better prices online at merchants...so, if you find a particular brand you like that fits...do some online shopping...

good luck...and have fun...

#77649 - 12/30/03 08:57 PM Re: Snorkeling in AC
Beliglen Offline
Badco is right, those are great snorkeling spots and you really don't need fins.I would recomend getting a mask before you come, that way you can get into the water any time you want and have a mask. www.seadogsports.com has a good assortment at all prices. As far as snorkeling tour operaters go SeaRious Adventures, in front of RUBY'S Hotel was excellent, but there are plenty to choose from.

#77650 - 12/31/03 10:10 AM Re: Snorkeling in AC
BrianH Offline
I used to rent equipment, but this past year I bought my own mask and snorkel, and rent the fins. Snorkelling is much more enjoyable using equipment that fits right. When you go on a tour, you are told to spit in your mask to clean the glass and prevent fogging. Plus, how many people have had that snorkel in their mouth? I'm sure the stuff is just rinsed off after each use. Yuck!

#77651 - 12/31/03 03:56 PM Re: Snorkeling in AC
Dang. Offline
Whats a snorkel trip run if you have your own equipment on AC?

#77652 - 01/01/04 02:40 PM Re: Snorkeling in AC
klcman Offline
$15 and up - depending upon what you want to do ( ie, beach picnics, etc) and where you want to go.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman

#77653 - 01/01/04 07:14 PM Re: Snorkeling in AC
BrianH Offline
The most popular snorkeling trip, Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley, is $25 plus a $5 park fee. You pay the park fee to a ranger who stops by your boat. The Mexico Rocks trip is $30.

#77654 - 01/01/04 08:02 PM Re: Snorkeling in AC
FXSTS02 Offline
Thanks for all the replies, man I can hardly wait to get there, only 27 more days, lol. cool

#77655 - 01/02/04 01:17 AM Re: Snorkeling in AC
Dang. Offline
Yea, thanks for the info. Is that per person price? I'll be there in Feb. also

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Sailorgirl), 29 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,697 Topics
461,210 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.