Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#78165 01/08/04 02:05 PM
Marsali Offline OP
OP Offline
I think I heard somewhere on this board that a fellow traveller was going to be bringing some school supplies with them to AC to contribute to the local schools.

As an educator, I would be very interested in doing this. I saw that the local high school has a wish list, so it must be quite normal for locals and others to contribute. Has anyone ever done this before?

TIA!
Marsali

Marsali,

Great idea smile !
Where did you see the wish list? Is it for Mt. Carmel?

We are looking to do the same for San Pedro R.C. School, but have yet to get any good contacts. I have found the ph#'s in the book but that's about it.

I also know through the board that depending on what you bring you need to make it "appear" it is for you own use for customs.

Hope to hear more about this topic from you San Pedranos!!

KCJD

C
C
I brought down a suitcase full of toys and school supplies at Christmas. Schools were closed I left them with the vise principal of the high school she was going to give them to the primary grades (I already for got her name) her house was on Front St. across from the Lions where they have the Friday dinners, everyone knows her and said she would make sure they get to the kids.

here's another thread asking the same question:

//ambergriscaye.com/message/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=007395#000000

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
K
K
We should rename klcman the "threadamn"...oops I mena "Threadman". Just teasin' with ya'! Just wanted to post that it came to my attention while I was planning my first trip to AC that the Belizean gov. does not allot any $$$ for art. Did not research and have no idea if it's true. But if it is true color crayons, etc. are good choices.

I called San Pedro R.C. School and talked with a lovely young lady who informs me of the following needs:

Construction paper
Pencils
Erasers
Sharpeners
Water paints

Soooo that's what I'll be bringing.
I guess if I get hassled at customs I'll just feign pretentiousness cool and tell them thta I'm an ARtist.

KCJD

Yes, I brought down school supplies in Dec, and I think it is important to contribute to such a wonderful place with wonderful people.
KE

i brought 2 large suitcases with school supplies in one, and pet supplies in the other....was a bit concerned getting thru customs...not a problem....asked the flight attendant on the plane when filling out the form how i should fill out the declaration part....she told me to leave it blank, and ask the people at customs what i should do, and what the supplies were for...took her advice...customs opened the bags, and waived me thru....no duty....the whole process took maybe 5 minutes....gl 2 you and have a wonderful time...the kids will appreciate what ever you can bring....kerry

Marsali Offline OP
OP Offline
KCJD, I found the links through the AmbergrisCaye.com website. Look here for the link to the school's wishlist (I have no idea how out of date it is...) //ambergriscaye.com/highschool/index.html

I hadn't any idea I might have trouble getting through Customs. Why, oh why, would they mind if a visitor brought a donation through customs? Is it safe, do you all think, to bring them and then follow Kerry's advice and just be honest with the custom officials? Or should I be more shady and say I will be using the supplies myself during my stay?

I guess it is no big deal to me as it is an after thought in my journey to Belize. But after reading Ransom Reef's journal and hearing about how much need there is for supplies, I just thought it would be a nice gesture for a tourist to offer something back to the community that works so hard and sacrifices so much to share their island with me.

KWIM?
Marsali

marsali....wonderful words you just spoke....but, i have found that honesty, is always the best way to go....especially, when you are trying to help....i found that when you are trying to give to a community, they will not penalize you for that.....but if you try to hide it, they just may take it as what it appears to be....and that would be a lie....just be up front about what you are bringing in.....and you shouldn't have any problems...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.