Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I'm going to get yelled out by some for even considering this, but for reasons outside my control I am considering taking my laptop to Belize with me. frown So I need to ask some technical questions so that I can make up my mind on if it is a waste of time to even think about it.

1. How difficult will it be bringing a laptop through customs? What documentation would I have to bring with me?
2. In order for me to get anything done, I would need access to my company's servers, so is that possible? In the states, I just access through dialup or DSL line.
3. How expensive would the dialup minutes be if I could get through? I may need to replicate data down for a good hour or two at a time.
4. Is there a place I can lock up my laptop when not using it? I assume my hotel might have a place to lock it up.
5. I assume my ac adapter would work perfectly fine, right?

Any/all help on this would be great! I promise if I do bring it, I will only do work on rainy days (or when I would be otherwise napping).

Thanks!

There are two Internet Cafes that would be delighted to help you out.
In town Coconet Internet Bar(which I own)
south of town Island Internet(which Chris owns)
You do not need any paperwork as many people bring laptops.
The cost is 7.5usd per hour and you can leave your laptop at either secure location
Bring your ac adaptor
Best of all at both places we serve alcohol

OP Offline
I just checked out the available numbers I could use for my dialup, and Belize isn't on my list of countries with servers. Mexico is, but that is long distance/international as well. Right?

The charge of $7.50us is the base charge, and then I would use my credit card or my Long Distance Card to charge the long distance fees to, right? (Assuming one of the 800 numbers or local numbers won't work.) I'm going to call my help desk and see if they can find out ahead of time what they suggest.

Any other suggestions? Are there calling cards I can buy here or in AC that I can use?

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Tell me the truth, you are blond and can't read, is that true?

Ok, you're not connecting through telephone, but through the Internet cafe's network, and connect to your receiving email server over the internet. So no additional charges for telephone (that's way too expensive).

You only have to change the internet settings to "connect through network", and for sending emails, change your smtp server to probably btlmail.btl.net, and everything works.

Doesn't your provider offer online email? Would make it so much easier; you can leave your laptop at home! Unless you're planning on also using it for other stuff.

Live and let live
OP Offline
Idaho Diver... Yes, I AM blonde, so maybe that is why I'm not getting your message. Or, maybe my brain is already in vacation mode?

Short... I may have to see if their network works for me. The challenge is that I need access to my companies VPN (virtual private network) where I will be accessing more than e-mail (our e-mail isn't available via internet either).

I'll pass this smtp server setting change by a technical contact at work and see if this will work.

Thanks for the help!

Irish,

The VPN software is on your laptop. From
your description, your company installed it.

Once you are connected to the internet
at one of the local cafes, you follow
the VPN procedure you normally use after
you have dialed in. In other words, once
you are connected to the internet, you are
connected. It does not matter whether it
is a dial-up or cafe.

Once you have VPNed into work, it is just
like when you dialed in. You should not
need to change your mail server settings.

Steve

[email protected] to book your fishing trips.
smile We have just installed FREE wireless internet access for guests of the Corozal Bay Inn. Sit at the bar and have a beer, or by the pool, on Corozal Town's only sand beach, in a hammock under a coconut tree or in your air-conditioned cabana and surf the net or check your e-mail. We also have a ethernet cable at the bar you can hook up to if you forgot your wireless card.
We are the first and so far the only resort in Belize to provide this service. I am using it right now and it is great! www.corozalbayinn.com cool

Doug & Maria Podzun

very useful if you are staying in SanPedro.

Peter do you have a sore toe? You are just so angry and mean as of late. Something we can do for you? Really.

Dare To Deviate
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 295 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.