Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#79523 - 01/31/04 04:59 PM Water taxi & Golf Carts (North end)
snoopycat Offline
I will be visting Belize for the first time in April and staying at Portofino. From what I am reading in this message board, the major drawback of this location is getting around.

Does anyone know whether golf-carts can be used to get between Portofino and SP? Or, between Portofino and north-end restaurants? Would this be a difficult journey, especially at night after dinner involving rum and wine?

Is the water taxi a better option? Can one hire a water taxi to get to/from Capricorn from Portofino. Do they run late into the evening? What is the cost between Portofino and SP?

Thanks for your help. Just browsing this message board makes me feel warm....it's below zero and snowing here!!

#79524 - 01/31/04 06:46 PM Re: Water taxi & Golf Carts (North end)
sammy17 Offline
I would not drive a golf cart from San Pedro to the north end of the island at night. A water taxi is a much better option. The roads are terrible (2-3 ft deep pot holes all over the road) especially if you can't see to avoid the pot holes! (no street lights).

#79525 - 01/31/04 09:34 PM Re: Water taxi & Golf Carts (North end)
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Except after heavy rains, you can make it Portofino (and even farther north) by golf cart. However, it's a L...O...N...G drive, and by the time you get there on an electric cart you're almost out of charge. After dark it would be a real pain. Lights on some of the carts are lousy, the golf cart path has holes and water traps, and you could miss a turn or drive into a ditch. Water taxi or other boat is really the only realistic option to/from town, though from Portofino you can walk to some of the other resorts and restaurants on North Ambergris.

--Lan Sluder

#79526 - 02/01/04 01:03 AM Re: Water taxi & Golf Carts (North end)
goody2shuz Offline
How long a ride are we talking about by water taxi to get into town? We'll be staying at the Costa Maya just north of Portifino. Also..are there good restaurants in the north that anyone can recommend...or do you have to hit town for a good bite to eat?

#79527 - 02/01/04 02:18 AM Re: Water taxi & Golf Carts (North end)
Pedro1 Offline
Portofino rents golf carts which makes things easier they also have a very good restaurant -Mata Chica/Rendezvous/Capricorn/Hamiltons and Sweet Basil for lunch are all good places to eat North of town.

#79528 - 02/01/04 06:04 AM Re: Water taxi & Golf Carts (North end)
mendo nana Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by goody2shuz:
How long a ride are we talking about by water taxi to get into town? We'll be staying at the Costa Maya just north of Portifino. Also..are there good restaurants in the north that anyone can recommend...or do you have to hit town for a good bite to eat?

#79529 - 02/01/04 06:12 AM Re: Water taxi & Golf Carts (North end)
mendo nana Offline
La Costa Maya is more than "just" north of Portofino. It's a nice daytime walk, but best to lunch out and have dinner in.

#79530 - 02/01/04 10:30 PM Re: Water taxi & Golf Carts (North end)
snoopycat Offline
Hi all and thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be depending on the water taxi to get to and from dinner, or, just enjoying the Portofino restaurant every night. From what I hear, it's a really nice place.

Thanks again....can't wait to get to Belize!!

#79531 - 02/02/04 07:50 PM Re: Water taxi & Golf Carts (North end)
FishingSanPedro Offline
Having just purchased Coconet Internet Bar,
I ventured north in a gas powered golf cart
to meet the resort owners and managers.

I have 2 main impressions of the journey.

1. What beautiful resorts and great people.

2. Take the water taxi.

PS I had lunch at Portifino. The Zuppa de Pieces
(peter will correct the spelling) was wonderful.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
5 registered (Pokey, Marty, CaptOneIron, 2 invisible), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,376 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.