Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#79608 - 02/02/04 06:03 PM Need Reservations?
PatiSue Offline
We will be in Belize Feb 11-16 and only have reservations for the 1st night (Blue Tang). Is it safe to hotel-hop after we get there, or do places generally stay booked?

#79609 - 02/02/04 06:55 PM Re: Need Reservations?
cheri Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by PatiSue:
We will be in Belize Feb 11-16 and only have reservations for the 1st night (Blue Tang). Is it safe to hotel-hop after we get there, or do places generally stay booked?
PatiSue, saw your message and since I am having difficulty posting a message myself I hope that replying to yours will get my message on the board. I am planning to take my two (college age) daughters to Ambergris Caye in May. Have looked at a lot of places (on line) and read the message board until I am dizzy. (a lot of great/helpful info) So, if others are reading this, I could use some info. Is it difficult to leave the Caye for the last two nights of the stay and rent a car In Belize City and drive to Caracol to see that site? From reading, it seems that, that site may be the most desirable to visit? Is renting a car difficult/costly? Is the drive easy/well marked? I would like to do the drive myself but have read that it is not entirely safe to do so without a guide/tour. Is the drive short enough to get an early start see the ruins and get on our way prior to dark? I have a million annoying questions for those well traveled in Belize so I'll save the others for another time. Here is to hoping that this reaches the message board!

#79610 - 02/02/04 08:05 PM Re: Need Reservations?
PatiSue Offline
Cheri, thanks for replying. I dont think we will rent a car, I hear they are really expensive and roads are bad (maybe someone will help us out on this topic) laugh . I believe we will water taxi or take a Puddle-Jumper to Caye Caulker. I am trying to find out about some cool places to stay there, we have never been to Belize.

#79611 - 02/03/04 04:40 AM Re: Need Reservations?
JanetBoston Offline
Cheri,
Unless someone knows of a more direct route, it's a couple hours' drive from BC to San Ignatio, then another 2-3 hours from there to Caracol. The road to Caracol is pretty rough, you might not enjoy it much if you drive yourself. Caracol is a day trip if you're based in SI or Mountain Pine Ridge, but not from Belize City. Where are you planning to stay for the last two nights?

#79612 - 02/03/04 05:18 PM Re: Need Reservations?
PatiSue Offline
What is in Caracol?

#79613 - 02/03/04 10:26 PM Re: Need Reservations?
CyaBye Offline
Patisue,

This link should help explain.

http://ambergriscaye.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001037

Joe

#79614 - 02/04/04 03:11 AM Re: Need Reservations?
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
WHERE do folks read stuff like "I would like to do the drive myself but have read that it is not entirely safe to do so without a guide/tour." Goodness. Thousands of people each year rent cars in Belize and drive all over country. (I've been doing it for over 13 years.) Roads are generally pretty well marked and the main roads (Western, Northern, Hummingbird and Southern highways) are paved and in good to excellent condition.

Caracol is one of the most interesting historical sites in all of Central America. A thousand years ago, it rivaled Tikal in importance, a city-state of more than 150,000 people, with sophisticated building techniques and a wide-ranging knowledge of mathematics, architecture and astronomy (at a time when Europeans were still struggling to emerge from the Dark Ages). The trip there is half the fun. The unpaved road through the Mountain Pine Ridge and on to Caracol is in generally good condition, though after heavy rains it does get a bit dicey.

--Lan Sluder

#79615 - 02/04/04 03:31 AM Re: Need Reservations?
KBG Offline
Have been going to Belize for years, renting a car at the airport from Crystal and driving all over Belize, and even across to Tikal. Don't let someone scare you out of doing this. It is safe and the roads are generally good, occasional pot holes or mud in some rural areas but what an adventure. There are soooooo many more things you will see and experience that you would never have the change with a tour. (heard on a bus). Driving you will meet many more of the very friendly and helpful Belezian people. GO SOON TO BELIZE, DRIVE AND ENJOY IT. laugh wink :p

#79616 - 02/04/04 04:35 PM Re: Need Reservations?
Diane Campbell Offline
Lan is 100% on target.

Belize = safe to drive
Los Angeles = don't even think about it

#79617 - 02/04/04 09:02 PM Re: Need Reservations?
cheri Offline
Janet, Thanks for your time and expertise. I have been reading and working on line for over a month now. So plans for lodgeing are only beginning to firm up. Have you (or nayone else) heard of Brianna's Beach House??) supposedly a 7 mile walk from SP and it looks great on line. I have written to Cayemanagement.com to ask more about the place? It is a rental. Safe area??
Well, re: the trip to Caracol sounds like I have to get closer and allow another day. Is Caracol the most expansive ruin site? Are there sites just as interesting closer to Belize (which you have visited) What about Belmopan? It looks to be a major city. Are there hotels... safe?? It looks to be a couple hours maybe 3 from BC. I am sort of thinking out loud? I will stop rambling here and hope for some great feed back.
Cheri

QUOTE]Originally posted by JanetBoston:
Cheri,
Unless someone knows of a more direct route, it's a couple hours' drive from BC to San Ignatio, then another 2-3 hours from there to Caracol. The road to Caracol is pretty rough, you might not enjoy it much if you drive yourself. Caracol is a day trip if you're based in SI or Mountain Pine Ridge, but not from Belize City. Where are you planning to stay for the last two nights?
[/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,376 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.