Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#79757 02/04/04 09:21 PM
R
OP Offline
R
My husbands co-worker is from Belize and she told him the bugs are horrible. She said the mosquitoes and sand flies are really bad on Ambergris Caye and in the rain forest areas. She also said the mosquitoes were so bad that no one should visit Belize without taking Malaria pills.
Is this true? I find this hard to believe. Why would so many people travel to Belize if the bugs are that bad.

#79758 02/04/04 11:22 PM
Just got back from AC. The Trade Winds keep the mosquitos in check - if you are on the beachfront. They're not a problem during the day.

We burned a mosquito coil in our bedroom and bathroom a couple of times. They work well. Also, leave doors and windows open during the day for the breeze, but close everything that doesn't have a screen as evening approaches.

I, too, had heard about sand flies, but we didn't have any trouble with them. We didn't take Malaria medication since we spent most of our time on the island. Inland is probably a different story. The lagoon side of AC probably has a lot more mosquitos than the ocean side.

Use an insect repellent with DEET and make sure that you use it when you go out in the evening.

If you're going to spend much time inland, Malaria medication might be adviseable - but check first - I've heard some people have nasty side effects - you'd hate to be sick on your vacation.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

#79759 02/04/04 11:25 PM
Maybe she didn't want lots of tourists to come & spoil her native land?

The prevailing tradewinds tend to knock down the mossies & sandfleas, no-seeums, whatever you opt to call them. However, when that breeze dies, it can get a little dicey, especially sunrise/sunset time. Bugs in the jungle? Yup, that's part of what makes it a jungle.

I personally have never taken anti-malarials when traveling to BZ, but some have. If you do, be sure to use chloroquine, other anti-malarials are ineffective.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
#79760 02/05/04 10:27 AM
I don't think it's that other anti-malarials are ineffective, but that they aren't needed, as the strain in Belize is not chloroquine-resistent. Chloroquine (brand name Aralen) is long-used, cheap and is considered safe and without significant side effects for most people, whereas some of the other drugs such as Larium do have side effects, some serious.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#79761 02/05/04 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Lan Sluder/Belize First:
I don't think it's that other anti-malarials are ineffective, but that they aren't needed, as the strain in Belize is not chloroquine-resistent. Chloroquine (brand name Aralen) is long-used, cheap and is considered safe and without significant side effects for most people, whereas some of the other drugs such as Larium do have side effects, some serious.

--Lan Sluder
I just got a Mefloquine perscription from my doctor. I thought they were basically the same. I asked him for Chloroquine so I'm not exactly sure why he gave me Mefloquine.

Angelo
#79762 02/05/04 08:27 PM
Mefloquine & Larium are one and the same. Lan;s right - there are some serious side effects from Mefloquine....."neuropsychiatric adverse events" in 1 of 140, and other worse side effects as well.
CDC site recommends Chloroquine:
"Chloroquine is the recommended drug for Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Honduras, Costa Rica, and the Bocas Del Toro Province of Panama."
http://www.cdc.gov/travel/camerica.htm

If it were me, I'd ask for a new 'scrip

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
#79763 02/05/04 09:52 PM
J
J
AH HECK GUYS, BEEN TO VIET NAM AND TOOK ALL THAT QUININE STUFF, BEEN TOO CAYE CAULKER AND AMBERGRIS CAYE, PLACENCIA AND TIKAL AND COSTA RICA, IT REALY IS NO BIG DEAL..I AM NO MACHO MOTHER BUT I USE NORMAL PRECAUTIONS.. A BIT OF REPELLANT AND AT NITE IF YOU ARE REALLY WORRIED ALONG SLEEVE LITE WEIGHT JUNGLE SHIRT AND PANT AND YOU MY FRIEND ARE GOOD TO GO.. BY THE BY I DIDN'T DO ANY OF THAT AND REGRET THAT I GOT EATEN BY NOSEEUMS IN PLACENCIA, BUT LONG PANT OR SALAD OIL OR INSECT REPELLANT WILL TAKE CARE OF THAT AND IM AN 8 TIME VISITOR. RELAX AND ENJOY ITS NO BIG DEAL JOHN IN DENVER

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 303 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.