Hi All! We're back from our trip to AC 2/3-2/11. And it was fabulous!
From the moment we landed at the Belize City Airport, we had fun. The owner of the Jet's Bar called us into his place and served us the "Best Rum Punch" in Belize. He also gave us a signed picture. Everyone there and on the island was friendly and fun.
Our first night on AC, we had the Beach BBQ at Ramon's and we drank waayyy too much rum punch at the Purple Parrot. We were in a bad way the next day. Luckily, that was one of the only two days of bad weather, so we were able to lay in a hammock and read and not feel guilty about being so lazy.
Also on our first night there, we met another mother and daughter travelling together and we had a ton of fun with them. Went out with them the next night to Fido's for music (Category X was eXcellent!) and to Wet Willy's for Ladies' Night and free jello shots. Did I mention we drank like de' fishes when we there?
My mother had about 20 hours of class to attend, so I got a lot tanner than her as I spent the time when she was in class laying out on Ramon's absolutely beautiful beach.
Some of the great stuff we did:
* Rented a golf cart and went over the hand ferry to the North side of the island. We had drinks at the Palappa Bar but couldn't go too far north as our rental agreement wouldn't allow it. Some beautiful houses up there.
* Ate some amazing food--Had dinner at Rendezvous one night, and Capricorn the next. The water taxi was an adventure as it was windy, wet, and choppy--needless to say, I didn't curl my hair after the first night. Food at Rendezvous was unparalleled. Very good wine too. Capricorn was okay--great ceviche and sauteed conch. I ordered a seafood platter, and wasn't thrilled with it, but the ambiance and appetizers made up for it.
* We also ate a wonderful meal at Caliente's and watched the chicken drop. That was a blast, but unfortunately, we didn't win
* Had a nice lunch at Sweet Du Monde where they have the BEST sangria I have ever tasted. I also had a massage and pedicure at the Sol Spa in the same building (big purple mall).
* Snorkelled off the end of Ramon's pier. Some beautiful fish, lots of rays. Supposedly there are two bull sharks that come around in the evenings around 6:30PM, but I never saw them.
* Snorkelled Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. The day before had been windy and rainy, so the water was very murky. My mom got a bad case of Reef Rash when she bumped up against some coral and I got the fright of my life at Hol Chan because a 5' shark showed up 10 feet away from me--between me and the boat. As soon as I saw him, I started freaking out, and Luis, our captain, let me go back to the boat when he swam out of my way. If I would have swam that fast in high school, I would have been a champion on the swim team
I stayed in the boat at Shark Ray Alley, but my mom enjoyed watching the rays. Only one small shark showed up, but Alex, the First Mate, was able to flip him on his back and the snorkellers were able to touch his belly. I enjoyed the boat
* We were supposed to go to Lamanai on Sunday but it was POURING down rain, so we cancelled. I am disappointed not to have seen the ruins and the mainland, but after hearing the reaction of some of the other participants, we felt we made a wise decision--over an hour in a small boat in bad weather was VERY unpleasant.
* We biked around the South side of the island and saw some beautiful homes and had a wonderful dinner at Taste of Thailand.
* We had custom-made clothes made for us at Isla Bonita Designs. The owners made me the most beautiful skirt, wraparound pants ("sexy pants" we were told they're called) and a tank top. Absolutely gorgeous!
All in all, we had a wonderful time. I have never seen anything as beautiful as the turquoise water and powder white beaches, unless it was the full harvest moon that rose on our first night there. It was one of the most gorgeous places I have ever seen, and I would love to take my husband there someday.
Thank you to everyone for all your help when I was researching. Belize me, I was the most informed tourist in our group.
P.S. As soon as I have pics, I'll post them