Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#80832 02/22/04 09:59 AM
JohnB Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok to go into town on sundays? Are things open? How much US$ for water taxi from Portofino??

Frozen

#80833 02/22/04 10:42 AM
Sunday morning you can count on two types of establishments being open:
Chuches and Dive Shops - both have very loyal and enthusiastic participants.
Also - the big grocery stores - food runs a close third behind religion and diving.

As for the rest - hit and miss.
Sundays are family days here - no real estate open houses, no discount warehouse sales, some restaurants are open, but not all.

BC's Beach Bar for Bar-B-Q is a local Sunday tradition. They start serving around noon.
The food is pretty darn incredible.

#80834 02/22/04 10:44 AM
Dear JohnB
My husband and I are also first timers and will be staying @ Portofino April 3-10 please share any info with us that you know about this resort.
We have concerns about the beach,lots of sea grass? How about the meal plan? Are there restaurants within walking distance? All info is welcome thanks so much. coconuts

looking forward to ac, coconuts
#80835 02/22/04 11:22 AM
JohnB Offline OP
OP Offline
I have read about everything you can on Portofino. They have dredged sea bottom at end of pier. I got my wife those butties that divers use for getting into water.

I did not elected the meal plan..I hear there are several rest. in walking distance..
Capricorn
Rendezvous
Mata Chica

Mata Chica has a spa ..Jad Spa $75 an hour.

We plan on going into town one afternoon to walk around and have lunch. We also want to go out to Hol Chan and Shark Ray alley to snorkle. You can pet sharks there.Also there is some good snorkling a few hundred yrds off shore at Portofino called Mexican rocks they may give you canoe to paddle out to. You can think about going to see the Manatee but it's an 8 hour day!

I dive so I plan to do a couple of dives(wife doesn't). You could take a resort course, which is fun and you get to dive!!!!

Anyway, Place sounds great and food too. Someone said don't plan to take beautiful walks off property and BRING bug spray. They also said don't rent golfcart things are to far and roads bad.

Nuts, Under search option at top of page type in Portofino and read read read..so much info! sorry for rambling,it keeps me warm!!

jb

#80836 02/22/04 11:27 AM
The barrier reef is a very complex eco-system. The turtle grass beds are very much a part of this system, they hold the land together and protect the island from being pulled out to sea, also make as a fish hatchery for the fish and other sea life of any tropical destination.

Try to remember, we are the guests to the sealife, not them the guests to us. Dredging kills off many creatures and pulls land out to sea, so they try not to do it. In some cases a square patch as is described above out a ways from shorline is feasible but doesnt last long.

Belize is a snorkler and divers paradise, not the greatest for shoreline swimming. Throw on a snorkel and mask and swim around on the top of the water, so you can see all the wonderful life underwater that Belize has. There are lots of things you could step on, rays for instance crabs and other delicate sea life, that wouldnt enjoy your foot so much on its back. Have fun and hope that helps you to understand why there is so much turtle grass inside the reef system.

#80837 02/22/04 02:00 PM
JohnB and Phoeniz thanks so much for your info. John Ive been reading Portofino "search" for hours now. Its so exciting! This board is addicting and sounds like ac is also. I think we made a great choice. I will definitely give you a trip report as soon as we return. thanks again
coconuts

#80838 02/22/04 02:30 PM
JohnB Offline OP
OP Offline
Coconuts, I think we all will have a great time. How bad can sun,food and sand be!! Please let me know when you get back.

Any other interesting out of the way places you've been.

Some that I found interesting;

Little Dix Bay...Virgin Gorda
Palm Island...St. Vincent
Anse Chastnet...St. Lucia
Villa Del Sol...Zihuatanejo

I found Portofino in Conde Nast Aug/2003 issue.

jb

#80839 02/22/04 02:58 PM
JohnB
we spent 2 weeks in palm island this past july. We got married their so I guess I'm partial to it.We just loved it and reallythought about returning there in april but belize caught our eye since my husband loves fishing and diving. I don't dive but I'm going to try it. How long ago were you in palm island? I've been to many other islands in the caribbean and I just loved the magnificant beaches there. How was virgin gorda? another place that catches my eye but have'nt been yet.

Nancy

#80840 02/22/04 03:05 PM
JohnB Offline OP
OP Offline
One week at Palm Island, you got married there!!
Little Dix was very nice, it's very big. I became certified there..water is a bathtub food at the time was some of the best I have ever had on an island( chef was in gourmet mag.)Beach was a perfect 10 for us. Room was on sand. But that was 1999...Thinking about Grenada next????
jb

#80841 02/22/04 03:26 PM
John
It sounds like we have the same taste.
Grenada is on our todo list also. Spice Island Beach Resort sounds like our kind of place.
www.spicebeachresort.com La Luna is another that sounds great www.laluna.com decisions decisions!
nancy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 321 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.