Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#81174 - 02/28/04 11:32 PM Tikal
Dave in WSNC Offline
I will be staying in AC and my wife and I usually take a day or two off from diving and do some sightseeing. We are considering a trip to Tikal. Has anyone visited Tikal from AC? What tour operators offer that trip? How did you like it? Thanks for any help

#81175 - 02/29/04 09:57 AM Re: Tikal
SP Daily Offline
Do a search (above right) for Tikal. You will get loads of information.

#81176 - 02/29/04 12:13 PM Re: Tikal
specv Offline
Been there, done that. My two kids spent three days at Jaguar Inn in the park. The closest lodging is a 30 minute walk from the first ruins and some sites in the park are 30 minutes further from there.

Mayawalk tours from San Ignacio will take you at 8am (two hour drive one way) pay all the fees (border, park,etc) guide you around the park and have you back by 5pm for about $80us. You will only see a few selected sites on a one day trip. Nothing beats watching the sun set from Temple IV or listening to the monkeys first thing in the morning. Mayawalk made a special trip ($80)to pick us up on the third day so we could make the Novelo in Benque and the 4pm Thunderbolt back to AC.

A guide is a good way of understanding things. Good tour guide books would do the same if you are willing.

We stayed at the cheapest park accomodations ($50us a night) and it was fine (see my photos in the Vacation Photos thread). The cafe was OK and had internet access. We did not go to the other cafes but the accomidations were a bit nicer, even a pool.

If you stay in the park, plan on doing several 3-4 hour treks into the ruin sites. Then chilling/eating/naping... My 8 and 12 year olds never complained, I kept it upbeat. You will get tired, wet(in rainy season), hot/wet (dry season is very humid) and sore (walking, walking, walking) from ascending/decending temples.

Enjoy, Jeff

#81177 - 02/29/04 01:11 PM Re: Tikal
raskage Offline
I didi this a couple years ago. Spend a night in the park, we stayed at Junge Lodge. Absolutely get up to walk to Temple IV for the sunrise. Off duty park guides will lead you for a couple bucks. It is a breathtaking experience. I also got up in the middle of the night and hiked into the plaza by myself. Bring extra flashlight batteries.

#81178 - 02/29/04 08:31 PM Re: Tikal
California Girl Offline
We were there last month and took a package offered by Tropic Air. From AC you fly back to Belize City and change planes for Flores (ours was a very small one with the pilot and 4 passengers - they fly low and you get to see a lot). The package included a night and breakfast at the Hotel Isla Flores, bus to the ruins, tour guide, lunch at the Jungle Lodge in Tikal, then back to the airport for the return trip. It was relatively expensive, but a good trip and it was very easy since all the details are organized. We're not fluent in Spanish, so this was helpful throughout our time in Guatemala. We found a delightful little restaurant for dinner in Flores and several shops to browse through in the afternoon. Our hotel was unable to cash traveller's checks but we found an atm in Santa Elena (Banco Industrial - we reccommend you take a cab from the bridge if you go - Santa Elena is not quaint and does not feel safe like Flores). Our fellow travellers were able to cash a traveller's check at a different hotel. Get small bills if you can - no one has change.

The ruins are fantastic. The trip was wonderful.

#81179 - 02/29/04 09:44 PM Re: Tikal
I've visited friends in Santa Elena and don't think it's at all unsafe. Obviously no guarantees, but I've walked around alone day and night without feeling in the least bit uncomfortable. I know girls who do the same, equally totally safely. Incidentally, the same is true for San Pedro, though certainly not for Belize City.

#81180 - 02/29/04 10:38 PM Re: Tikal
specv Offline
Flores and Santa Elena are one thing. Smaller places closer to Tikal (not in the park) are another situation that needs concern. Backpackers stay there with no problems, it's the gold toting/rolex wearing gringos that have no clue that are ripped off.

Be safe, Jeff

#81181 - 03/01/04 12:04 AM Re: Tikal
California Girl Offline
Pedro 2 - glad to hear that Santa Elena is "not unsafe" in your opinion. We walked from the causeway up the hill to the main street and stopped at all the banks until we finally found the ATM and did not feel comfortable. It's a bit of a chaotic place and we didn't know our way around. We are not fluent in Spanish. We weren't sure if we should be more afraid of the taxi driver that took us back to Flores (who hacked into his rag and spit out the window and was very impatient with us) or of the pack of young policemen carrying large guns. We have travelled the world a bit and simply felt ill at ease in Santa Elena. We enjoyed ourselves nevertheless, and feel enriched by our time in Guatemala, Santa Elena included. That's what world travel is all about........ And, by the way, we felt very comfortable on Ambergris Caye - day or night, alone or in a crowd.....

#81182 - 03/01/04 12:18 AM Re: Tikal
California Girl Offline
SpecV - Thanks for your input. Flores and Santa Elena may be "one thing" to you, but they are really quite different, in my mind. Flores has a lot more history and is quaint. Santa Elena is newer and more chaotic. Flores is really an ancient relic and a tourist destination. The "Rough Guide" that I have says it quite accurately "The modern emphasis lies across the water in the ugly, sprawling twin towns of Santa Elena and San Benito.....Flores retains a genteel air....it offers pleasant surroundings in which to stay, eat and drink". My husband and I are not, by the way "gold toting/rolex wearing gringos"

This was not our first visit to Central America, nor will it be our last. I was simply pointing out that some folks might feel a bit intimidated in certain areas.

#81183 - 03/01/04 12:46 AM Re: Tikal
Dave in WSNC Offline
California Girl- You say the trip via tropic air to Tikal was expensive. How much did it cost if you dont mind. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Marty), 64 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,717 Topics
461,256 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.