Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#81236 - 02/29/04 08:02 PM CRAZY Honeymoon Indecision!
SUNSHlNE Offline
We are going to AC for only 4 nights for a "mini" honeymoon in early August. We live and work in Brooklyn and NYC. We have travelled quite a bit and been lucky enough to stay in some FAB places. I have been doing exhaustive research and had narrowed it down to...
Portofino (they have a tree-top suite avaiable/not hm orchid though)
Mata Chica has a beachfront Casita available
Victoria House unfrotunately just has Plantation Rooms.
I am waiting to hear back from Ramon's to see what they have.

Our issues---quiet and secluded is fine as we live in this crazy city- We'll probably eat out most nights up North (La Cuisine, MataChica restaurant, Capricorn, Rendevous---ooh so many). We will be fine taking a water taxi a couple of times to SP. The pool thing is where I'm torn---I LOVE pools but also want an upscale special place with a private casita/cabana on the beach.
I've read so much and havent found anything that sways me. I know that we could probably arrange to swim at a nice pool one afternoon by having lunch/drinks and talking to a manager somewhere...but will I miss having one at our hotel if we say at Portofino or Mata Chica?
Someone told me they thought MataChica looked run down and the Jacuzzi/dip pool looked dirty (but she's a bit of a snob so not sure about that). I also read the tree-top suites have a blocked view at Portofino--how important is this?

Any help would be most appreciated as I feel I need to book in the next day or so and all this reseach is wearing me out.
thanks!

#81237 - 02/29/04 08:35 PM Re: CRAZY Honeymoon Indecision!
cathy and richard Offline
we just got back yesterday from ac. we stayed at Captain Morgan's very peaceful and quiet with 2 great pools one brand new with a swim up bar. 99% of the people there were couples. 3 nights a week louie plays guitar and sings by the pool from 5-9 we ate at portofino and i thought the place was sort of stuffy. keep in mind i am a friendly southerner! captain morgan's has cabanas right on the beach and villas that are 4 plex which is where we were and loved it- still pretty secluded. they have a kitchenette in them w/ coffee maker (we love to sit on the veranda each morning and have our coffee), mini frig, microwave, toaster and stove. the serivce is perfect there and going north or south was easy for us. if the cm boat is going to town you can catch a ride free and the ferry goes up and down all the time although not as often in the off season. cm's has a beach bbq on thursday and that was very good. a couple we met staying at cm's also had dinner at mata chica one night and loved it said it is a great atmosphere and food. we ate at capricorn ( it was awesome) and portofino (great service, pretty good food and a stuffy atmosphere. by the time we left cm's we knew the entire staff by name. they take wonderful care of you. have a good time

#81238 - 02/29/04 09:08 PM Re: CRAZY Honeymoon Indecision!
JohnB Offline
Dear Cathy and Richard, I am staying at Portofino in 66days!!!!! I was worried that they might be a little snobbie. I know you just had dinner there do you think their stuffiness was also directed to their guest?

#81239 - 02/29/04 09:32 PM Re: CRAZY Honeymoon Indecision!
kayak4 Offline
OK, if a pool is a big deal don't stay at Mata Chica. The plunge pool at Mata Chica is great and very clean, but not a swimming pool. we live down south so a pool is not a big deal. Everyone has one. As for Mata Chica being run down...this place is fabulous and spotless. We have been there twice and have a third trip planned for May. I am a nurse and germ freak. I take anti-bacterial wipes everywhere I go because I know that everyone around me has a cold or worse. Sooo, let me make it clear...MATA CHICA is clean, chic, hip whatever. You could not want more in a resort. It is not snobby, but like I said I'm a Southerner and do not meet a stranger.

Enjoy....kayak4

#81240 - 02/29/04 09:39 PM Re: CRAZY Honeymoon Indecision!
the place was the green parrot and was bought by french folks a couple of years ago. the rooms are very close to the restaurant. i just did not fall in love with it and probably would not go back, but you all may love it. we paid our bill with amex and they hassled us, had us go to the front desk so we could tip the waitress and would not add the tip to the amex with dinner, but ran a different ticket. then he had us leave our name and room at captain morgan's just in case i guess. don't know what normal procedure is there, but at captian morgan's everything was easy. then portofino had told us when we were done with dinner they would call and have a taxi pick us up to take us back to cm's. we learned afer we were there they actully meant the ferry would get us so we sat on the dock with one other couple that had come to eat forabout one hour before we could leave. the other couple did not even have the ferry called for them and they waited for amost 2 hours. the food was ok but not worth the hassle.

#81241 - 02/29/04 10:36 PM Re: CRAZY Honeymoon Indecision!
Marty Offline
we have always had a fabulous time at portofino. great rooms, excellent food. no hassles at all.

#81242 - 02/29/04 10:49 PM Re: CRAZY Honeymoon Indecision!
Barbara K Offline
Ramon's & VH are the only ones with pools that you are considering. If the treetop suites have any obstruction to the view it would be a palm or coconut tree! Not bad in my opinion wink Ramon's would be a much busier location than any of the rest. Mata Chica has a pretty clean beach area and Portofino has a swimming section off their dock. Cap't Morgans may work best for you if you want the pool, the remote location and the individual cabana thing. Or possibly Turtle Inn in Placencia (on the southern shore of the country).

#81243 - 02/29/04 11:14 PM Re: CRAZY Honeymoon Indecision!
SUNSHlNE Offline
Thanks so much everyone...I dont really get what an "ocean pool" is?
What I meant by obstructed view at Portofino was the regular cabanas are there was what someone wrote---and they block view? True or not??
Also, does anyone know if Mata Chica has a pier? I like the "high design" and being ON the beach.
thanks

#81244 - 02/29/04 11:49 PM Re: CRAZY Honeymoon Indecision!
the ocean pool at portofino is actually at the end of the pier connected to it by decking. the pool is sectioned off and is ocean water as opposed to chlorine. there were 4 chairs around it. and yes mata chica has a pier they all do the ferry gets you from them

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.