Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#81412 - 03/02/04 05:11 AM A Camera Question - dangerous I know!
BNBelizeSoon Offline
I have purchased the housing for my Olympus C-750 for some underwater pictures. Now I need to know what other accessories I need: Do I need an extra O ring? Balance Weight? LCD Hood? Silica and Silicone grease? and what is a circular polarizer... As you can tell I'm very new to this and I was hoping for a little information from some of you great photogs from the board.

#81413 - 03/02/04 05:55 AM Re: A Camera Question - dangerous I know!
Anonymous
What kind of housing did you buy?

Do I need an extra O ring?
You should have an extra O ring kit for the housing, you never know when you might need it. You should clean and inspect the O rings often, if you find a small cut/gouge you can replace it with a new one, otherwise the housing could leak. A couple of drops of salt water in a camera will toast it.

LCD Hood?
No, cause it wonít fit in a housing.

Balance Weight?
No.

Silica?
I canít imagine why.

Silicone grease?
Absolutely, you will need to clean, inspect and lubricate the O ring that is in the housing.

Circular Polarizer
For surface shots you may want one, it can aid in reducing glare. Not needed underwater.

One last word of cautionÖ There is always a chance of a flood/leak, if you cannot deal with a ruined camera donít put it in the water.

But what do I know...

#81414 - 03/02/04 06:14 AM Re: A Camera Question - dangerous I know!
BNBelizeSoon Offline
I purchased the Olympus PT-018 underwater housing. These things all came up as recommended to buy. I was going to purchase the O-ring and the grease, the silica gel was recommended for something, but I can't remember what. I'm hoping that instructions come with the housing or I could be in trouble. I'll be searching for help while in Belize...

#81415 - 03/02/04 06:15 AM Re: A Camera Question - dangerous I know!
BNBelizeSoon Offline
The Hood was for the underwater housing.

#81416 - 03/02/04 07:50 AM Re: A Camera Question - dangerous I know!
Phoenix East Offline
Relax, keep your o-rings clean and free from grit and lubed lightly, not alot, thats one of the biggest mistakes. Be careful what you remove the o ring with as sharp objects could cause you to slice into it. When you close the housing prior to the dive, do it on dry land, way before you get onto the boat. Make sure its ready to go while in your room or something, take your time with this. Play with it, get used to your investment. Also read all your directions or instructions if you have them. Okay, when you go to close it. try to keep equal pressure around the housing, closing one clip, then the opposite clip, than accross from that one and so on, as if your mounting a wheel on your car, so as to not pinch the o ring. Youll be fine, I have a canon underwater video camera, with housing, this is all I do, all the extra stuff is just that, extra stuff, get used to what youve got now, and decide what YOU want for your camera. there are message boards all over the world that can help you with questions, as it seems its kinda few on this board. Good luck, and hope I helped ya out a bit.

#81417 - 03/02/04 05:07 PM Re: A Camera Question - dangerous I know!
Richard Chambers Offline
The silica gel is probably used to absorb residual moisture inside the sealed case.
It would help reduce any fogging of the optics as well as protect the camera and film.
In high humidity locations in is good even if the case does not leak. :p

#81418 - 03/02/04 06:16 PM Re: A Camera Question - dangerous I know!
BNBelizeSoon Offline
Thank you Phx & Richard. I am ready very excited to try this out. I am sure that I can get "some" good photos out of this. What's the harm anyway, I figure 4-5 days of diving, lots of shots and I can delete what doesn't turn out. I'm in heaven. Thanks for your help. Point me to the water!

#81419 - 03/02/04 06:25 PM Re: A Camera Question - dangerous I know!
NYgal Offline
Thank you Idahoe_Diver smile

#81420 - 03/02/04 06:56 PM Re: A Camera Question - dangerous I know!
BNBelizeSoon Offline
OOPS! Thanks Idaho... missed you at the top! I love this board!

#81421 - 03/02/04 07:50 PM Re: A Camera Question - dangerous I know!
BNBelizeSoon Offline
And thanks NY Gal, someone needs to keep me on my toes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,064 Topics
462,323 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.