Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#81557 - 03/03/04 12:06 AM Diving Suggestions
ON TAP Offline
New to the board. Twenty-two days til arrival. Actually have 3 questions. I have really enjoyed reading this board. Missed it the first month I was checking out the AC web site. 1st question Would like some suggestions on who to use for our diving. Hubby, son & I are novice divers. Younger three children need to take check out dives while we are there. We would all like to dive together nothing to hard at first. 2nd Hubby & boys would like to do some fishing. He says something "big". Should we get Captn Bicho? 3rd Arriving on Wed- any suggestions for a BBQ that night? Thanks lots!!

#81558 - 03/03/04 01:05 AM Re: Diving Suggestions
Where will you be staying? Most dive centers will do pickups and dropoffs, but it's still more convenient if it's local to your hotel. There are several good operators scattered up and down the main drag.
You'd be best off with a dive center that'll give you a private boat and your own DM for the duration. If you agree, ask for it.

#81559 - 03/03/04 01:40 PM Re: Diving Suggestions
ON TAP Offline
We are staying at Casa Redondo- Forgot to metion need PADI. I know CR has a dock there.

#81560 - 03/04/04 08:35 PM Re: Diving Suggestions
You're quite a long way south of town. Sara who runs the dive shop at Caribe Island Resort (ccaribe@btl.net) not far away is a PADI instructor and will look after you very well. She may be your best choice because she's about the closest (I think). A couple of miles north you'll find Protech (info@protechbelize.com) on the Yacht Club dock, a PADI 5* IDC Gold Palm center with several PADI instructors. They'll pick you up and drop you off each day, and will be able to give you a private boat with your own captain/DM/instructor. They are also a tech dive training center so it's a good place to see beyond the PADI horizon. Another good choice would be Lorne Jackson (not sure of email, phone is 226-3420), who works privately with his wife and daughter, maintains very high standards, and is based somewhere in your area. And there are others.

#81561 - 03/05/04 12:19 AM Re: Diving Suggestions
ON TAP Offline
Thanks for the info Pedro2! smile [/LIST]

#81562 - 03/06/04 02:14 AM Re: Diving Suggestions
highspeed Offline
Take a look at www.grumpyandhappy.com . a great site.
Lorne and Jolene can take care of you.
They also work with their daughter and Grant.
They work with a lot of families and specialize in the type of service that you look for. They will almost certainly keep you alone on the boat and are flexible with schedules. Their independence makes them easy to deal with.
On their website is a newspaper article about them and also a forum where people have made comment.
Their email is diving@grumpyandhappy.com.

#81563 - 03/06/04 10:50 AM Re: Diving Suggestions
ON TAP Offline
Highspeed Thanks for the suggestion. Have you used them or know anyone who has?

#81564 - 03/07/04 09:32 AM Re: Diving Suggestions
I've known Lorne since I first came to Belize and have worked with all of them except Jolene. Even though I'm a competitor I must say they run a superb operation and you'll have a great time with them - very thorough, safe, careful, "customer oriented". They're a small operation (not a dive center) so have an upper limit on numbers, but they do have overflow facilities arranged. If you get Lorne to teach you nitrox I'll get a small piece of the action!

#81565 - 03/07/04 01:54 PM Re: Diving Suggestions
Catatonic Motivator Offline
OK, P2...so who are you? And are you the nitrox guy? We'd like to dive nitrox while we're there and are going with Amigos.
* I Go Pogo *

#81566 - 03/08/04 12:48 AM Re: Diving Suggestions
Guilty as charged. Ask Amigos for nitrox and they'll get it for you (from us). Make sure you will be able to analyse it before you dive it - several of our customer dive centers haven't invested in an O2 analyser yet.
For anyone who wants to dive nitrox, we will supply any dive center. If your chosen center doesn't have an analyser you can use you may prefer to get it directly from us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 56 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,739 Topics
461,315 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.