Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#81616 - 03/03/04 08:24 PM Trip Report: Part One – Why Belize?
mikell Offline
Why Belize? That’s the question so many asked when we announced our destination for our vacation in February. Unless you are a dedicated diver/snorkeler, it seems that most sun worshippers have yet to discover this paradise and many don’t even know where it is.

Having taken to the underwater world in a big way for my first time last winter in Jamaica, I was hooked on snorkeling. Alan already had a love of sea life and a passion for reefs. The Belize barrier reef was calling him and a need to escape another upstate New York winter, if only for 10 days, made the decision easy. For us, Ambergris Caye combined so many elements of a perfect winter getaway. Answers, advice and encouragement received on this message board confirmed our decision again and again.

Over the last days of February, after a brutal January with plenty of winter still on our horizon, we were able to answer the question - why, out of all the hot, sunny places a traveller can visit on this planet did we choose a place many can’t even point to on a map. We have also become unofficial ambassadors, singing its praises to any and all who will listen to our stories and endure another link to an online photo album.

(This is my story...to be told in several parts...with a link to all our photos online soon)

We left Rochester, NY early in the morning with snow falling and waited for plane de-icing on the runway. We arrived about 6 hours later in Belize City after a very brief stop in Charlotte, NC. A Tropic Air flight was leaving immediately, so we only had a glimpse of the airport as we hurried through customs and boarded the plane. The last seat left was beside the pilot. I eagerly accepted the invitation and we were airborn for the last 15 minutes of our journey to San Pedro.

Breathtaking colour…our first glimpse of the cayes.

Touchdown and feel the tropic heat. We are really only a few degrees from the equator. One of our two bags didn’t make the connection and we have to wait 15 minutes for the next plane to bring it. No problem – we’re on Belize time now!

A quick taxi ride through town, soaking in the sights, and we’re checking in to Banana Beach with huge smiles on our faces - matched by those of the wonderful staff who were so accomodating during our stay. Step into our room and head for the balcony and the view we will have for over a week. Don’t pinch me; if this is a dream, they don’t come any better!

We change into beach attire, order dirty bananas from the beachside bar and just sit there in the full sun to decompress in silence and awe - with the sun, breeze and knowing looks from others on the beach who have been there awhile.

Eventually, we realize we aren’t dreaming and we have time to walk the beach and search for a place to eat our first meal. We head north with nothing but 10 days stretching ahead of us and no hurry. We pass all the resorts we have seen reviewed and recommended. The reality seeing them up close makes me point and say, “Oh, look – there’s the Crazy Cannuck’s Bar… Ramon’s…” and on and on.

It’s still fairly early and our chosen spot – Blue Water Grill – isn’t open for dinner yet. So we find Mango’s with it’s open air palapa and great view more than inviting. A fresh fish meal is what I’m after and the bacon cajun snapper dinner doesn’t disappoint me. Alan orders a burger which is only OK…but the environment we’re eating in makes up for anything the cuisine lacks (he doesn’t generally rave about food anyway, and unlike me, eating is NOT a passion with him).

As the sunlight begins to fade (and our energy as well), we head back down the beach towards “home”. Oh, to experience a hot “summer” night in February, the walk is a delight. We go for a quick swim in the pool, sit out on the balcony for awhile and we’re in bed by 9:30. Tomorrow will be our first full day and we’ll surely be up before the sun…

To be continued…

#81617 - 03/03/04 09:03 PM Re: Trip Report: Part One – Why Belize?
KathyA Offline
Mikell, I've been waiting to hear from you! Loved your first report and can't to hear more. Thanks, Kathy

#81618 - 03/03/04 09:36 PM Re: Trip Report: Part One – Why Belize?
Angelo Offline
Hey, cool photos Mikell. Someone either has a really nice camera or really knows how to shoot. Can't wait to see the rest and hear the rest. Ahhh...so this is the balcony from which I'll perch myself at night and enjoy a fine cigar.

#81619 - 03/03/04 10:44 PM Re: Trip Report: Part One – Why Belize?
dbdoberman Offline
great start, Mikell, I cannot wait to read the rest! Those are good pixs, really liked the one shot from da plane.

#81620 - 03/04/04 12:26 AM Re: Trip Report: Part One – Why Belize?
BNBelizeSoon Offline
Such beautiful photos, such a beautiful place...37 days and counting.......

#81621 - 03/04/04 12:50 AM Re: Trip Report: Part One – Why Belize?
Windjammer Offline
Can't wait to see & hear more about Paradise. Glad you enjoyed. cool

#81622 - 03/04/04 08:34 AM Re: Trip Report: Part One – Why Belize?
coconuts Offline
thanks for the beautiful pics and sharing the beginning of your wonderful trip.
Please continue.....31 days to go for us, so excited I can't stand it. Travelled to many places and I have never,ever had the "bug" this bad.
Nancy eek smile laugh
looking forward to ac, coconuts

#81623 - 03/04/04 08:42 AM Re: Trip Report: Part One – Why Belize?
Now Danny Offline
Great report and photos. Can't waite for more. We will be at the BB in 15 days and hope to have the same view as you had. Thanks again.

#81624 - 03/04/04 08:53 AM Re: Trip Report: Part One – Why Belize?
Denny Shane Offline
ok mikell... now it's official... i really really REALLY dislike you. laugh eek

#81625 - 03/04/04 10:19 AM Re: Trip Report: Part One – Why Belize?
hotsauz Offline

Those are really nice photos. I hope to see more and am looking forward reading the next post. I'll be there at BB in about two weeks. I can barely contain my excitement. And, I just have to say that this is the best message board. So much useful info and cool people. Rock On!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.