Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#81977 - 03/08/04 05:07 PM another question
f095 Offline
Yo Capetan Jeff,
It just occurred to me that if you book a fishing trip and the weather rules it out, what happens?
Do you still have to pay? Or can you reshedule? Seems like someone could possibly get the short end of the stick. I'm beginning to think that perhaps we should take our chances and hope that someone good is free for the days we want to go out.
Flora confused

#81978 - 03/08/04 08:28 PM Re: another question
TIMO Offline
I can't comment as to cancellation policies, but in my experience have never hadto cancel due to weather. We are fairly hard core and have fished in poor weather a few times. The guides usually have options as to how they fish during these times. It would probably be up to you,and depends on how you feel about being out in the weather. One thing the guides won't do is to go over the reef in bad weather, and you wouldn't want to either. Just my opinion.
Good fishing!!

#81979 - 03/09/04 10:38 AM Re: another question
Jack and Rose Offline
Just got back Sunday.Monday-Friday last week were so windy that I can tell you that most boats did not go out. This includes fishing,snorkle & scuba. At times the wind was gale force & all inside the reef was whitecaps. The waves breaking on the reef looked to be about 10-12 ft or possibly more.I have spent a lot of time on the water in my life & it's no fun in seas like that,especially for those not used to it. What is the sense scaring the hell out of people just to say "hey we went out". If you go out in bad seas,
sometimes you feel like you went ten rounds with a heavyweight after & the rest of your day is not much fun.Hopefully it had died down by now. Have plans on what to do for a day if you can't get out. Rent a cart & explore the Island & it's wonderful people.I don't drink alcohol, so I ate my way across the Island. The food is fabulous!!!

#81980 - 03/09/04 12:37 PM Re: another question
f095 Offline
Thanks Timo, You have good advice.
Jack and Rose - sounds like you have a wonderful time. I may try to eat and drink my way all over the island if the weather is uncooperative. I am still wondering about cancellation policies.

#81981 - 03/09/04 03:27 PM Re: another question
Barbara K Offline
Typically dive trips, etc. booked and paid for in advance are non refundable (even due to weather). I have seen some very unhappy divers in SP because of this (time was May). Not sure how it works with Bicho. I usually recommend not to pre pay diving, etc. to my clients for just this reason.

#81982 - 03/09/04 04:03 PM Re: another question
Coco Loco Lady Offline
We didn't pay Capt. Bicho until the end of our fishing/snorkeling/Beach BBQ. He didn't even require a deposit when I booked/reserved our date. Been home almost a month and still going thru withdrawal!

#81983 - 03/09/04 05:20 PM Re: another question
I hope the practice Barbara K refers to isn't typical. Reputable operators will refund in full if a trip is called off, for weather or any other reason. Also for individuals who for bona fide reasons can't go, even if the trip goes otherwise. A charge should only be made to cover inescapable cash costs.
A simple "no show" will normally be charged, and rightly so.

#81984 - 03/09/04 05:29 PM Re: another question
seashell Offline
Barbara may be talking about acco/dive packages, wherein the diver gets X number of dives in the package they purchased.
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#81985 - 03/09/04 06:37 PM Re: another question
Barbara K Offline
Yeah - like she said...

#81986 - 03/09/04 06:55 PM Re: another question
In 25+ trips to SP we've only had the problem one time. If you cancel because you just don't feel like it that day, or your group decides otherwise, that's not fair to the operators.

Last November we had a private cat sail scheduled for the afternoon, but at 12:00 noon the sky was dark, really dark, and lightning was striking at the reef. Three of the four of us are USCG certified captains for private sailing vessels, and the decision was made to cancel. If I have a CHOICE, it would not to be on a vessel with a aluminum 30' mast in a lightning storm. A fairly sane option we decided. The operator, for a time felt otherwise, but in the end conceded that common sense (and the potential adverse publicity) was not worth the $200.

This happens very rarely, in fact most of the weather related cancellations in our experience are instigated for good cause by the local operators.

Bottom line...listen to Barb.... no matter how tempting, don't prepay a bunch of diving or excursions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Shyboy), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.