Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
mikell Offline OP
OP Offline
Today we made a mistake! We followed our plan to go to Caye Caulker for the day.

Now, before I get angry replies from those who love Caye Caulker, let me add that we absolutely loved it too�and we could even imagine staying there for at least several days. The reason it was a mistake was that the day turned out to be HOT HOT HOT without any breeze or clouds whatsover. It was the one day during our trip when we absolutely should have been in the water.

Alan particularly got too much sun yesterday�and his feet were sore from all the walking our first couple of days and ill fitting sandals�not a good combination for a day trip to walk around Caye Caulker, as we realized later on.

After breakfast and a bit of beach/shade/reading time�.

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9f93e19b9b50000003610[/img]

We headed out to town to cash some travellers checks at Milo's and send email from Coconets Internet Café and then catch the water taxi from Shark's Pier at 11. The boat ride was great�it was the only breeze we would feel all day!

On Caye Caulker, Alan headed right for some shade to wait for me while I went to meet Lee (Silk Painter) and have a delightful chat with her. She has a great shop with beautiful wares and is a terrific source of knowledge about the caye. We then headed over to the Rainbow Grill on the beach for lunch, at Lee's suggestion, and had a great meal overlooking the water in relative comfort out of the sun.

Afterwards, we walked through town, taking in all the sights of shops and people, until we arrived at the "split" - the area where the caye is divided in two by a channel of water, which I was told happened maybe 30 years ago when a hurricane came through. Now, it's a lovely spot to swim and on this hot day, it seems that everyone has the same idea�lots of people hanging out by the waterside bar, wading in the water and even playing volleyball in the shallows out from shore.

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9f9247ab9db0000003610[/img]

There really isn't a lot of beach space here but Alan found a shady area to rest and I immediately waded into the water to cool off. It felt great and I was beginning to envy anyone who was out snorkeling the reef right now!

The heat was just too much for Alan. He decided he'd just find a shady spot near the pier for our return trip and wait for me since I was determined to explore the shops in town a bit more. I ended up buying most of my small gifts & souvenirs to bring home, including a small print from Silk Painter�and I found a great sun visor and good flip flops for Alan for the rest of the week! Should have had these when we arrived!

Wish I had taken more pictures - it was a beautiful place with lots of interesting sights. Prices were lower than Ambergris Caye for just about everything and the pace was even slower, if that's possible. We both agreed that we would have loved to stay here for a vacation.

The rest of the day is a bit of blur. Back in our room late afternoon, we welcome the A/C for the first time! Have a dip in the pool and pass out for a nap. Went to town and stopped at Fido's for a drink and to watch the Chicken Drop at Spindrift but we were really feeling wasted, so we caught a taxi back early and enjoyed the A/C and a bit of TV before turning in for the night.

I didn't think there was such a thing as too much heat in February�but we realized it can come as a shock to an upstate NY system! Hoping for a breeze tomorrow!

To be continued�

T
T
mikell,
You really learn to appreciate a few clouds, and a little wind(not too much), as it really gets hot in a hurry. For some reason always seems to be hotter at CC,from personal experience. Nice pix and reports!!
TIMO

Mikell, we were also considering a trip to CC. What creature comforts should we be thinking about? I wouldn't want to avoid a trip over there cuz it seems "too hot".

mikell Offline OP
OP Offline
it wasn't just too hot on caye caulker...it was hot everywhere that day!! the only day when we experienced NO WIND...that sun can get a bit oppresive for the uninitiated!

yes...do go to caye caulker...don't miss that trip for a day! we loved it, despite the heat. if you can plan it for a day with a breeze, so much the better. if not...just remember how cold it is back home...and wear plenty of sunscreen, a hat, comfortable shoes and bring or buy lots of water!

don't miss going for a swim at the split...or checking out all the great little shops...and restaurants/bars...it won't take long to see the whole town...but you will love spending a day there!

Mikell...I recall reading on the board that CC had a very nice beach...sandy that had great snorkeling right off it. Did you see any evidence of this and also was there anywhere that had beach chairs in shady areas to hang out & read if you wanted to?

J
J
Hi Mikell, If you don't, you should work for a travel magazine. Your photos and writing are teriffic. Rose & I just got back from SP Sunday & has snowed yesterday & today here in Boston!! I should have our photos back tomorrow, but love seeing yours today. Four of us went to CC on Saturday & it was hot. We started walking but it was so hot we rented a cart for only $10 USD an hour. It was well worth it, as we were able to spend about an hour having a great meal at Rasta Pasta & then spent 2 hours seeing the whole town using the cart. Loved your photo of the split area.I looked right at the spot where we went in the water. That is such a cool area.We watched little kids catching fish & cleaning them right on the beach. If anyone else goes there bring your mask & snorkle if you have them, don't have to lug fins for this area. We didn't take them & were sorry we didn't.For aviation buffs, go over to the landing strip. There is an awesome biplane parked there with Lithuanian Airline markings on it. Rose & I plan on spending maybe a night on CC on our next trip. I guess the best to say about it is it"s "Funky"!!

mikell Offline OP
OP Offline
jack & rose...

oh...to be be travel writer...isn't that a dream job!

sounds like we missed quite a bit on CC...but got enough of a taste to know what a cool place it is...and highly recommend it not be overlooked for at least a day trip!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 271 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.