Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#82019 03/09/04 02:40 PM
mobunny Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey Jack and Rose, weren't you the couple who were going to do the pier dining at Portofino for your anniversary? Did you actually do this and if so how was it? If not, what did you do instead? I am thinking we'll take our friends to Portofino pier dining for their 20th anniversary in August. Any info much appreciated. mobunny cool

J
J
Hi mobunny, yes that was me who planned dinner at Portofino. It was to be last Monday Mar 1st, but Monday morning we awoke to winds that at times seemed in the gale force category. All day I was hoping that the winds would die. They didn't & only got worse & went all the way through Friday.Almost all snorkle trips & dives were canx all week.We were going to take a boat at 6:00 from Fidos & I waited until 5:45 then told Rose about it.She thought the idea was awesome but we both agreed it would be the ride from hell.

We stayed in town at Aqua Marina Suites & I was so glad we didn't stay at a place way up north.It would have been rought trying to go to town at night with those winds.But by all means try to do that in August if you can,people told me it would have been a wonderful time.Insted we went to Elvi's.It was a good meal but we felt kind of rushed a bit as people kept showing up & I think it is kind of a tourist factory.There was a manager who walked around the whole time watching every table & if there was a slight lull,she was at the waiters kind of pushing them.The wait staff gave me the impression of being on edge.

Our favorite in town was Cocina Caramba.Great blackened Snapper.

This message board is great.So many things that people related all came true when we went.Thanks for your input also.

It is very difficult being back to work here in Boston.It has snowed both days since We've been back & cold & cloudy.Talk about a big let down.I,m all tanned up & nowhere to go!!!!! Ugh..

Later

J
J
mobunny, jack again

I just looked at your photos and they look great.
The 3 of Estells really got to me. We stayed right down the beach at Aqua Marina Suites & went to Estells the first morning.Does breakfast & location get any better than that??? Not in my book... We ate there 6 out of 8 mornings. The picture of you with the fryjack was to much to bear!!!!!

It's a great place to eat with your feet in the sand right on the ocean.Estell is great as well as her two sons who work there.One son plays bass in the band Category X.Everyone should go there at least once,but I'll bet you'll return more than once.

mobunny Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Jack, too bad it was so windy for your trip however, you seemed to have done the smart thing and made the most of it. Although that is not too hard in such a beautiful place. Glad you enjoyed the pics. Estel's rocks. It's funny when I ordered that fryjack I thought it would be like a pancake...what I got was way better. That's the meal when we discovered Marie Sharp's! This will sound crazy but, the first time we returned from San Pedro last March I sat on our living room couch and wept for a good part of the day...I was so sad not to be there. That week had been one of the happiest of my life. Two things made me start to feel better. We started saving and planning our next trip for that August. The second thing was our friends that went with us in March built a palapa bar in their back yard! Now I just have to wait 4 1/2 months till we get to go for two weeks! Take care, mobunny cool

C
C
we ate at Portofino the end of Feb. and there is actually no pier dining. the pier takes you to the restaurant that is upstairs in the office building. we thought the same about "pier dining", but dining is the restaurant, either completely inside or the balcony.

mobunny Offline OP
OP Offline
I think you have to make special reservations for the pier dining. How was the food? mobunny cool

J
J
Yes, you have to call ahead & let them know you are interested having dinner on the pier.It will of course depend on the weather.I pulled up Portofinos web & pier dining is mentioned & they suggest making reservations. I e-mailed before I left & they answered right back with an answer.Portofino has a boat that departs Fidos pier at 6:30 & they will take you back later.

It ended up not happening due to winds that were at sometimes it seemed gale force.Those winds lasted 5 days.

J
J
mobunny,I wish I had asked at Estell's how to make those fryjacks. For those of you who haven,t had them yet,get the mixed fruit jam they serve.It is made by "Marie Sharp". We brought home 3 different kind of Marie's Hot Sauces. I think almost everyone takes some of of that home.

oh...those fry jacks at estelle's! yes...that was one of the highlights of our eating on AC! we had breakfast there one morning and i had the seafood omlette with fry jacks. the omlette was GREAT...but the fry jacks were absolutely mouth watering!

and we also took home a couple of marie sharp products...orange marmalade and coconut spread! just had toast this morning with both...wish it would have been estelle's fry jacks!!!

C
C
Richard and I called and made reservations for "the pier". the portofino boat picked us up from Captain Morgans. when we got there, with no wind at all, we were taken upstairs and seated on the balcony. we thought the food was average, service great and atmosphere OK. when we were finished we had to wait almost an hour for the ferry to take us back to CM's. we thought we were told the taxi would get us when we were done. another couple that came from town did not even have the ferry called for them and they were not happy campers as they missed pickup and had to wait for about 1.5 hours. try capricorn. it was awesome and we sat outside in a little courtyard with white twinkling lights all around us. just my experience

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.