Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#82093 - 03/10/04 08:37 PM Fishing ??
PapaPaula Offline
We will arriving there at the end of the month. Any suggestions on the best fishing guides for bone fishing? Whats the best way to make arrangements. Cant wait to get there. Have learned so much by reading all the news. Is the weather usually rainy at this time? 9 days in paradise will be great.Thanks for the help.

#82094 - 03/10/04 09:30 PM Re: Fishing ??
TIMO Offline
papapaula,
Depends on if you are talking flyfishing or spinfishing, been going for years and have caught many on spinning gear. If you want i can give you my guides info, he can always find big schools of bonefish. He used to have a flats boat but I think he sold it. Post reply if you want info. Good fishing!!
TIMO

#82095 - 03/10/04 10:40 PM Re: Fishing ??
Laurie Offline
I would be interested in knowing how is a good guide for fly fishing. We have heard a lot about Captain Bicho on this board and will probably try to plan a day with him but would also like to know who to use for a little fly action.

#82096 - 03/11/04 06:27 AM Re: Fishing ??
Marty Offline
peek at http://AmbergrisCaye.com/fishing/ for a list of guides and information...

#82097 - 03/11/04 07:53 AM Re: Fishing ??
raskage Offline
I booked Severo Guerrero, when i checked around, he seems to be one of the top rated fly guides.
<servero@btl.net>
There's some really good guides there, do a search on this board for "fly fishing" and you'll find plenty.

good luck, it's probably pretty late to get a good guide at that time. You never know when someone will cancel though.

#82098 - 03/11/04 03:31 PM Re: Fishing ??
Angelo Offline
I booked Severo as well. I did so after speaking with several people that have used him or know him. I got excellent feedback from a gentleman in Houston that used to work at El Pescador. Also got a great recommendation from the host of a well-known saltwater fishing series(Mark Sosin's Saltwater Journal) on cable that used him to shoot an episode a few years back. Severo also ties his own flies. I kind of found that out after he made a shopping list of tying materials for me to bring him. I'm bringing all of my own flies, but it's good to know that my guide is adept at tying, in case I have to make modifications when I get there.

I agree with raskage though. I've contacted quite a few about 8 months back when I started planning and my impression is that there are plenty of good guides that do fly. A lot of guides that specialize in fly are apparently contracting with El Pescador. I called them and they said they would book guides for me even if I wasn't a guest, but informed me that they do reserve their very best guides for their guests. The owner of my local fly shop has used Pescador's guides in the past and told me their guides definitely know their stuff. I'd personally be willing to take his word, since he's the holder of multiple world records on fly. You should try calling Victoria House as well. They can give you contact information for some good fly guides. I hear the people at Ruby's are in the know too, so you might want to try contacting them.

#82099 - 03/11/04 03:50 PM Re: Fishing ??
krehfish Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by PapaPaula:
We will arriving there at the end of the month. Any suggestions on the best fishing guides for bone fishing? Whats the best way to make arrangements. Cant wait to get there. Have learned so much by reading all the news. Is the weather usually rainy at this time? 9 days in paradise will be great.Thanks for the help.

#82100 - 03/11/04 04:11 PM Re: Fishing ??
krehfish Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by krehfish:
Quote:
Originally posted by PapaPaula:
[b]We will arriving there at the end of the month. Any suggestions on the best fishing guides for bone fishing? Whats the best way to make arrangements. Cant wait to get there. Have learned so much by reading all the news. Is the weather usually rainy at this time? 9 days in paradise will be great.Thanks for the help.
[/b]
PP: Sorry about the double-clutch. There are scores of quality guides on the island. Generally all are excellent fisherman, some are just a little more experienced with flyrodders. If you have reasonable skills you'll catch more than enough bones. These is not the hyper sensitive florida bonefish and a/c is a great place to learn,esp. retrieve and hook-setting. If you're new to bones start with the muds and channels. A 30ft. cast will do it. You'll get the hang of it and then go off to the skinny-water sight-fishing. Most of the resorts/hotels can hook you up with a capable guide. Also keep in mind that there is some great bonefishing off the docks of most resorts. The first a/c bone i ever caught was Capt. Morgans dock in the a.m. The bones also regularly tail on their beach in late afternoon too.

#82101 - 03/11/04 06:58 PM Re: Fishing ??
Angelo Offline
I was under the impression that you could not fish from the docks or at least those near town because of safety issues regarding swimmers. I did hear that there are some resorts with docks far up north or way down south that you're allowed to fish from. Am I confusing this with fishing from piers?

#82102 - 03/11/04 07:36 PM Re: Fishing ??
Mel S Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Angelo:
I was under the impression that you could not fish from the docks or at least those near town because of safety issues regarding swimmers. I did hear that there are some resorts with docks far up north or way down south that you're allowed to fish from. Am I confusing this with fishing from piers?
Some of the resorts will allow you to fish off their piers. Most of them are out of town it seems. Last summer we spent half a day at Capt. Morgan's checking it out, and they did not want anyone fishing on or near their piers as they had a few artificial reefs there. The back bay near the soccer fields near the airport was open fair. The cut, is pretty good during the night, and the locals have family strolls and i have met some really cool San Pedranos during those nocturnal fishing expeditions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,016 Topics
462,196 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.