Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
mikell Offline OP
OP Offline
We're running out of time�3 days to go and so many things still to see. Today, those extra calories we plan to consume won't be going anywhere for awhile because we'll be golf carting to our daily dining. Lunch at Caribe Island and Supper at Casa Picasso. Two more stops to check off the list!

It's a much sunnier and warmer day than yesterday�the wind has died down a bit too. We eat a light breakfast and take a few more pictures around Banana Beach...aptly named since this is what i see over my head in the restaurant patio...

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9ec824518ce0000003610[/img]

and here's a sample of some of the great pottery throughout the property...

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9ec862118a80000003610[/img]

Around 11, we get ready to leave, rent a golf cart and head into town. I have a bag full of toys, books and craft supplies to leave with Capt. Bicho's wife, Nari, who is a school teacher at the elementary school in town. We don't have any trouble finding the school and she's there outside with all the kids, so we take a picture of a few of them. The little girl in pink is her granddaughter, as she proudy tells me and makes introductions. The kids are all so cute.

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9f933d5f9e70000005610[/img]

Next, we are heading south to have lunch at Caribe Island. I was hoping to meet Vickie there but she isn't due back on AC til next week. Instead, I meet Ada in the office and find that Vickie has generously left two complimentary coupons for drinks in the restaurant for us. How nice of her!

The restaurant is located on the pier - a beautiful setting. I have the fish and chips - mouthwatering snapper in a perfect batter. Alan has a bacon cheese burger and says it's the best he's eaten here. Vickie wasn't exaggerating! We share a large refreshing piece of frozen key lime pie and we're stuffed!

Writing this, I have one regret. I must have been in such awe of the place that I completely forgot to take any pictures. Still, the place lives in my memory. It is a stunning property with a "secluded" island feel. The spacious beach, the gorgeous pool area, the lush foliage around the buildings, the awesome balconies with great views from all rooms�I could definitely spend time here!

We say our goodbyes to Ada and head back to town. A stop at Coconets to transfer pics from our camera card to a CD (great solution to the fact that we forgot to bring a spare card and there's way more kodak moments than we imagined).

A quick stop afterwards at Casa Picasso to make reservations for dinner later, and we go back to Banana Beach to take a nap and refresh ourselves. Alan forgoes the leftover pizza from Pauly's and decides to chance it that he can find something to eat on the menu tonight.

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9e2b4a158aa0000003610[/img]

We're early diners and get there at 6 to find plenty of room. (After a very short time, we're glad we made reservations since this popular spot fills up quickly). It's an incredibly classy joint! It truly has the colourful ambience of a mediterranean eatery. The décor begs closer inspection. We get a chance to talk with Chris, the owner, before the place fills up. He's a wealth of information about the island and a really interesting person too.

As luck would have it, the special tonight is Paella - one of my favourite dishes. It is fabulous! Alan thinks that the lasagna is very good too. Of course, he's having another slice of key lime pie tonight, which is great. But it can't beat my choice for dessert - Bananas Picasso. My taste buds are doing flips right now as I remember those warm slices of banana floating in a toffee rum sauce surrounding a mound of melting vanilla ice cream! If you eat here�please save room for that!

Happy and very full, we head back to our suite. I'm already thinking about breakfast at Estelle's tomorrow�but plan to walk there and go snorkeling later. I must burn off a few calories!

To be continued�

gosh you do beautiful work i mean play.....
gracias...

Mikell - I have so enjoyed your trip reports! Your pictures from your room at Banana Beach have especially pushed my buttons - I can only imagine seeing that view from my room! What type of room did you have? Its hard to tell from the descriptions on their web site which one of the 4 types of rooms you had (other than being able to eliminate the "garden view"...). We're thinking seriously of trying to get a "room with a view" (to coin a phrase) like yours when we visit in June. thanks, Sharon

Mikell your reports and pixs are really GREAT! Too bad you missed Vicki at CI, and I'm glad really that you didn't take pixs there because I would totally be a blubbering basket case looking at that pink paradise... missing San Pedro as I do!
Thanks again for the reports! laugh

Again, great pixs and report. waiting for more. keep them coming.

mikell Offline OP
OP Offline
stamiya...

we booked an oceanfront suite in the old building (they've added another building along the side but the views from there are not as nice) and we asked for the 2nd or 3rd floor. when we arrived, we had a 2nd floor room but we asked if it was possible to move to the 3rd floor, and they put us in one of the corner suites upstairs. We were really pleased with that change. It was so bright, airy and private and the view was outstanding!

Here's a picture which shows our balcony just above the beach/lounging area out front. We had the suite at the top left corner - just visible behind the palm branch.

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9f9329bb9310000005610[/img]

J
J
Mikell, Your reports and photos have been fantastic. Are you a writer by trade????

My favorite was your take on Casa Picasso. Six of us went on Friday last week. All six of us had the Paella, and I don,t think there was a grain of rice left in anyones bowl!!! I also had the bannana desert!! I can taste it now.... Yummy

Rose and I are somewhat earlier to bed on some nights like you were. I was up about 5:30 every morning and love the sunrises like you do.We also went to Caye Caulker,and decided after walking down one street for five minutes, that a golf cart was in order. The sweat was running down our backs!! It also enabled us to see a lot more of the Island. Yes,that swim area at the slip was very nice. You mention Estel's. We ate breakfast there six mornings out of eight. It was that good, not to mention the location right on the ocean!! I was always barefoot, all that is under your feet, either inside or out is sand! How about those fryjacks. It,s a wonderful family run operation, the two sons who wait tables are great to talk to.

It's funny but most of our trip was a carbon copy of yours... I am already trying to fit in another trip. Thanks for sharing that great Trip Report.

mikell Offline OP
OP Offline
jack...

must confess...yes, i made my living most of my life as a journalist/editor...but there's nothing more fun or rewarding than writing about personal experiences...the AC trip has been wonderful to share...mostly for my own enjoyment of reliving it all!

our trips seem to be duplicates in many ways, don't they? hope many more people will be inspired to follow in our footsteps!

hi Mikell - our first visit to Ambergris Caye is in May and we're staying at Caribe for 9 nights. So glad to hear that you were so in awe you forgot to take pictures. smile Sounds like an awesome place - can't wait!

Phew...thank goodness Mikell, that we finally are aware of your writing talents wink As I was reading your fabulous, informative and yet magazine worthy trip reports, I was getting a little nervous of how mine in the future would compare laugh I've always had this dream of writing a book...but I'm afraid I fall short of the qaulifications to do so. And so...I assist my teenage daughters in the composition of school essay assignments and smile when the A+'s come back!!!! Truly.. Mikell, you are quite talented, and I for one am relieved (as I'm sure other boarders are) that we have learned the truth of your talents....so write on, fellow boarders...and may your experiences in Belize be as wonderful as our Mikell writes about so beautifully laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.