Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#82350 03/14/04 10:35 AM
J
JeanH Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi, There have been some wonderful trip reports on this board recently, and my writing skills can't possibly compare. However, I just want to add to the chorus of praise for Ambergris Caye.

Our trip started with three nights in Placencia. It was our first trip there. We stayed at a cabin on the beach, one of two, named 'Las Amigas'. Very clean, nothing fancy, but very close to the ocean. Lovely stretch of beach. Las Amigas is located in the northern part of the village of Placencia. Right on the sidewalk. We loved the area. Much quieter than San Pedro. Far fewer people. But, still plenty of fun bars and good restaurants. We took the Monkey River tour and had a grand time. After three nights there, it was on to San Pedro.

We flew out of Placencia about 10am via Municipal airport in Belize City and were sitting at BC's for the barbeque by 12:15. Not too bad. This was our second trip to San Pedro, the first having been last June. This trip we stayed at the Belizean Reef. This is a very, very nice property for those who don't require a pool or a resort atmosphere. Beautiful condo. Almost $50.00 cheaper per night than The Palms next door.

As before, we didn't have a bad meal while on Ambergris Caye. Great pizza at Blue Water Grill.
Awesome shrimp at Caliente. Good shrimp burgers at Fido's. Fine lunch at Papi's, but I sure didn't know they put fried eggs on club sandwiches there. Quite a shock to those of us who don't eat eggs. Silly me. We also ate at Stained Glass Pub and Cocina Caramba. Probably some other places I've forgotten.

It was pretty darn windy the days we were there. But, the sun shone most of the day, and the temps were wonderful. We snorkeled Mexico Rocks and saw a school of squid. Also rented bikes and headed north of the cut. We didn't make it much past Journey's End, the sand on the 'road' got deeper and it was harder to ride, so we turned around.

It was a short time on the island (only four days). Not nearly long enough, but the sadness at leaving was tempered some by the fact we weren't going home, but heading north into Mexico for another week.

San Pedro was much busies than when we were there in June. The 'vibe' is still incredible. Friendliest people we've met any where. I have been home now for three days, and find myself wishing we were back on Ambergris Caye.

Nice report JeanH. Thanks for sharing smile

I'm sorry we didn't meet you too, Jean. Sounds like you packed a lot into those four days...and lucky you...it was only a "part" of your vacation!

I have to agree with your comments about the friendliness of the people on AC...it was one of the things that made our vacation so incredible! That will never be forgotten. smile

Hi Jean,

When you mentioned Placencia, I again felt a touch of nostalgia. My husband and I were in Placencia in 2000...and, yes, it is ALSO a great place. We did the Monkey River trip and had a great time...lots of howling going on there!
In 2000 we couldn't get to San Pedro, so we did 10 days on the mainland..including Placencia, also by plane, and by rental car (an adventure in itself), Jaguar Reef near Sittee Point, Hopkins Village (Garifuna area...great people) Caves Branch near Belmopan, San Ignacio & Mountain Pine Ridge, DuPlooy's (lots of beautiful birds)....SO MANY WONDERFUL PLACES!
I think everyone should take at LEAST 3 weeks and experience ALL that Belize has to offer. We have travelled to many places and BELIZE OUTSHINES anything we have seen in the Caribbean and almost any other country we have visited.

JeanH - great trip report - thanks for sharing. Your post said "This trip we stayed at the Belizean Reef. This is a very, very nice property for those who don't require a pool or a resort atmosphere. Beautiful condo. Almost $50.00 cheaper per night than The Palms next door." It looks like a great place to stay! How did you get such a good rate? Their website shows that they are the same price as The Palms. thanks, Sharon

Jean, a few days on AC is never enough, as well a just a few on the mainland in Belize. GOSH I do love Placencia as well!
But hey... another WEEK of vaca in Mexico? You poor dear soul. :rolleyes:
Glad to hear you had a FINE trip!
You'll be back to Belize, huh... wink
Thanks for the report, it was great!

Yikes, Im heading down in two weeks. Seventh time?
I'm looking forward to exploring the mainland.
Belize is addictive...You must go back...

I love San Pedro/ San Pablo, Ambergris, Punta Gorda,Maya mountains,Corazal, Progresso...
Wow, Jean, you sure packed alot into a few days! Thanks for writing about Las Amigas, that is one I have not heard about. I am glad you enjoyed AC again. You really had a great adventure!

Patlaf, you are right, and I am looking forward to exploring more of this amazing country.

J
JeanH Offline OP
OP Offline
J
We booked the Belizean Reef way back last fall. I hadn't realized that the rates had jumped. It's still a bit cheaper than the Palms, but not as much as earlier. Or you could stay for five days and still get the cheaper rate....

On our next trip we really need to spend some time exploring the rest of the country. Looking forward to seeing the Cayo district.

Jean

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.