Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
suntam Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I know its a no brainer to go to the Blue Hole if you are a scuba diver, but what about snorkelers? My husband and I are mostly interested in a large variety and number of fish. The clarity of the water is a close second. The geological formations sound interesting at the Blue Hole, but given that we are on a budget I am just wondering if the extra cost to get to the Blue Hole/Caye Caulker is worth it compared to the local sites (Hol Chan, Shark Ray Alley, Mexico Rocks) that are closer. There is some great information on this forum!! Thanks to everyone!

tami
cpn Offline
Suntam,
Take the catamaran tour. It goes to Hol Chan for snorkeling, then on down to Caye Caulker for lunch and a walk, and a second snorkel stop at Shark Ray alley. we loved it! Saw a sea turtle in the Hol Cahan park, and the rays and sharks were phenominal!! Full day trip, cost us 55 US p/p. Great deal!

Carol

We are the people our parents warned us about
Originally posted by cpn:
Suntam,
Take the catamaran tour. It goes to Hol Chan for snorkeling, then on down to Caye Caulker for lunch and a walk, and a second snorkel stop at Shark Ray alley. we loved it! Saw a sea turtle in the Hol Cahan park, and the rays and sharks were phenominal!! Full day trip, cost us 55 US p/p. Great deal!

Carol
We always use Geraldo Badillos' catamaran, "el Gato", or the cat. We have known him for 22 years, and he is a class A guide. His first mate is a wonderful guy. Here's his url //ambergriscaye.com/elgato/ good-luck, ms

Mel Sinderman
P
P
Originally posted by Mel S:

Carol[/qb]
We always use Geraldo Badillos' catamaran, "el Gato", or the cat. We have known him for 22 years, and he is a class A guide. His first mate is a wonderful guy. Here's his url //ambergriscaye.com/elgato/ good-luck, ms[/QB][/QUOTE]

Okay, so please don't take this the wrong way, but this is the second posting I've seen where people are not only handling marine life, they are actually restraining nurse sharks. I dive, and I had it drilled into me over and over again "never touch - take only pictures, leave only bubbles." I know that this is for my safety as well as the safety of the animals. Is handling these animals considered appropriate in Belize? Nurse sharks are relatively passive, but they still have teeth and will react if threatened - I'm surprised that this seems so accepted. Could anyone cue me in if this is the norm rather than the exception?

Originally posted by Panchita:

Carol
We always use Geraldo Badillos' catamaran, "el Gato", or the cat. We have known him for 22 years, and he is a class A guide. His first mate is a wonderful guy. Here's his url //ambergriscaye.com/elgato/ good-luck, ms[/QB]
Okay, so please don't take this the wrong way, but this is the second posting I've seen where people are not only handling marine life, they are actually restraining nurse sharks. I dive, and I had it drilled into me over and over again "never touch - take only pictures, leave only bubbles." I know that this is for my safety as well as the safety of the animals. Is handling these animals considered appropriate in Belize? Nurse sharks are relatively passive, but they still have teeth and will react if threatened - I'm surprised that this seems so accepted. Could anyone cue me in if this is the norm rather than the exception?[/QB][/QUOTE]
Personally, I don't hold underwater species, unless if it's a beautiful mermaid. But, really you are correct. Guides use these holding or touching photos to show the land-lubbers that the nurse sharks are not eating machines. Of course there are more appropriate ways of educating people. In this photo with Geraldo in the website, the nurse shark was unharmed, and it was not put into a empanadas de tiberon ! best-wishes, ms

Mel Sinderman
P
P
Originally posted by Panchita:
[b] [QUOTE]Originally posted by Mel S:

Personally, I don't hold underwater species, unless if it's a beautiful mermaid. But, really you are correct. Guides use these holding or touching photos to show the land-lubbers that the nurse sharks are not eating machines. Of course there are more appropriate ways of educating people. In this photo with Geraldo in the website, the nurse shark was unharmed, and it was not put into a empanadas de tiberon ! best-wishes, ms[/b]
Thanks for the clarification Mel - I'm glad that Ms. Shark didn't end up as sopa de dia! Glad you knew where I was coming from with this... happy Monday!

cpn Offline
Hey Panchita,
I never said I touched anything. I said I SAW a turtle and we snorkelled with the sharks and rays.
Get a grip.

We are the people our parents warned us about
K
K
Hey cpn, try clicking on one of the links in this thread. DS

P
P
Originally posted by cpn:
Hey Panchita,
I never said I touched anything. I said I SAW a turtle and we snorkelled with the sharks and rays.
Get a grip.
Wow CPN, that's a little harsh - I was referring to the pictures in the link and I wasn't passing judgement on you even if you DID touch anything! I just wanted to know if it was more common to handle marine life in Belize than in other areas I've been diving. Jeez...

IRM Offline
Suntam
There is an area off the northern tip of Caye Cauker near the reef that is a phenomenal snorkeling spot. We did a private excursion just the two of us. There was nobody else around. Crystal clear water and tons marine life. It was perfect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 217 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.