Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#83007 - 03/26/04 09:18 PM Belize ATM's-Liquid Currency Availability?
Spicolicpa Offline
Tooo much good stuff!

I have heard a lot of people on this board reference the fact that touristas should "bring" more money than they think. I have traveled across Mexico, and the banco's with ATM capabilities made the need to physically carry large amounts of cash both futile and un-nessary. I have read Lan's posts that there are ATM's in Belize. Is there a reason that I am unaware of why I would be well served carrying enough money on my person that I would never use an ATM?
My itinary is:
Placencia
Caves Branch
Caye Caulker

BTW: I am trying very hard not to call these Islands "kayes" but rather "Keys". Has anyone else battled this...> shocked )

#83008 - 03/26/04 09:35 PM Re: Belize ATM's-Liquid Currency Availability?
Barbara K Offline
As far as I know there are no ATM's in any of the places you will be staying at. The only ones I am aware of are in Belize City and on Ambergris Caye. That said, I have never found either to be working consistently!

The "kay" vs "key" question has been hashed out a million times here. It's "key."

#83009 - 03/26/04 10:51 PM Re: Belize ATM's-Liquid Currency Availability?
Spicolicpa Offline
Thanks for the info; and pardon my mental block. I KNOW the correct name is Keys, but I learned it by reading as "khaye"...its gonna be an uphill battle.....

#83010 - 03/26/04 10:53 PM Re: Belize ATM's-Liquid Currency Availability?
seashell Offline
Barbara, I thought Short told us it was Kay?

#83011 - 03/26/04 11:02 PM Re: Belize ATM's-Liquid Currency Availability?
Ernie B Offline
IT'S KEY..... Right Lovee ! eek

#83012 - 03/26/04 11:28 PM Re: Belize ATM's-Liquid Currency Availability?
bywarren Offline
Both pronounciations are correct. "key" is the most widely used by English speaking people. If you look it up in the dictionary, you will see that the pronounciation is listed both as ke and ka. That is with the little - over the e and a.

#83013 - 03/26/04 11:29 PM Re: Belize ATM's-Liquid Currency Availability?
Barbara K Offline
Just call it San Pedro!

#83014 - 03/26/04 11:55 PM Re: Belize ATM's-Liquid Currency Availability?
seashell Offline
smile The other thing is that I thought Cayo was pronounced Kai oh. If that is correct and short is saying that key should be pronounced as in Cayo, why wouldn't key be pronounced kai?

#83015 - 03/27/04 12:25 AM Re: Belize ATM's-Liquid Currency Availability?
Spicolicpa Offline
Ahhhhh Sooooo-
Perhaps my pronoucation as "Kayee" is not all together incorrect!

Wax On Sinsee

#83016 - 03/27/04 02:06 AM Re: Belize ATM's-Liquid Currency Availability?
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
It's "Key" and always has been pronounced Key since early British Honduras days. Keep in mind that Belize is a former British colony, and the only offical language is English.

Now if you want to get into Spanish pronunciations, that's another matter. In which case, let's all refer to Belize as Belice (Bay-Liss-Say). True, Spanish is becoming more and more important in Belize, given all the mostly illegal immigration from Guatemala and elsewhere. And Ambergris (Am-BUR-Griss), not the proper French pronunciation, was settled mostly by Spanish-speaking folks from Mexico. But IMHO Belize will no longer be Belize when Spanish is the dominant language.

As to the original question, it's always a good idea to have a back-up plan for getting more cash. But with 10 Belize Bank ATMs across the country now accepting ATM cards on the PLUS and CIRRUS networks, you (probably) won't have any trouble. If you do, you can always swipe your Visa or MC at most any bank ATM and get a cash advance, or failing that fill out the paperwork at the bank for the advance. But then the prudent traveler always carries a traveler's check (make that traveller's cheque or el cheque de viajero) if all else fails.

--Lan Sluder

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (JaHo), 42 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,169 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.