Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#84932 - 04/22/04 08:56 AM Goody Part 4 - Carting to Costa Maya, Meeting Beachy etc.
goody2shuz Offline
There were many highlights to our next few days, the first being our trip up north to see the infamous Costa Maya Reef Resort aka Casa Caribe & Avalon Reef. Getting up to see CMR was high on the top of our "to do" list...and we started out early via golf cart.

Ran into our local buddies, Edgar & Eric, while disembarking the ferry, and they hop on board saying they've never been that far north before!! The trip was almost not possible via golf cart, we went through the bumpiest terrain, swamp like areas almost getting stuck in places, sometimes even carving our own way in order to get to the place...and yes Diane...we had no other way by cart to get there than to drive on the beach...but only when there was absolutely no other way!!! The trip was long.....had to be at least an hour and a half via cart...and I'll be honest, if it weren't so important for us to see this resort in person, we would have turned back.

Once we did get there, we were quite impressed with the overall appearance of the resort. Like Captain Morgan's...it was spread out and landscaped beautifully with the gorgeous blue & white villas taking on a southern type flair. On the plus side, the resort was peaceful, quiet and relaxing...with it's own dive shop on the pier. It also had a pool, bicycle, kayak and golf cart rentals, as well as it's own bar & restaurant. The views were breathtaking and snorkeling of Mexico Rocks is right before you, only a short boat ride away We did get pics, which I have yet to develop, but nothing different than what's been already posted. Now on the down side....this resort, although beautiful, is virtually removed from almost everything... even other resorts. There is a water taxi that is $10US roundtrip each person & can really add up during one's stay. And the time to travel would be about 20-25 minutes each way. CMR is a magnificent one, but IMHO, not for most people, certainly not us, who look forward to seeing all there is to see on the islands we visit. It is definitely geared towards those who want a quiet peaceful vacation & don't mind being limited to what the resort has to offer regarding food, activities etc. Don't get me wrong, you can get to town & all the activities & places described on this board, but IMHO...it'll cost you in time & money. I hope that what we have shared puts everyones apprehensiveness to rest on this subject.

On the way back...we stopped at Capt. Morgan's for a drink & to relax a bit. We took a dip and enjoyed the shade that the abundance of palm trees had to offer. It's really beautiful here..and it too is removed from town but a little easier to manage. Tom & I decided that it would be a place we'd stay if we could exchange into it through II or RCI. Here is one of my favorite pics and exactly where we rested this day.

Decided to order in Pauly's for the kids while Tom & I ventured out to Casa Picasso for dinner. We were greeted by Chris himself aka as Beachy and we introduced ourselves as Goody & Tom from the board. Our main objective here was to sample the many martinis the board speaks so highly of. Tom shakes up martinis having a competition when we get together with friends, and I must say of the samples Chris shook up for us...there are none that we've had that could even compare!!! We sampled the mudslide mmmm....my personal favorite, the watermelon, the sunburst, the lemon drop (Tom's favorite) and I believe the Casa Picasso special as well. Sorta lost track...I can't imagine why laugh

We were thrilled with the martinis...but were blown away by the food!!! YUMMMMMY laugh Chris...oh does that wife of yours know how to cook!! I swear, it was a fabulous meal, Tom having the fettuccine alfredo with shrimp & I the lasagna...the only downside is that we hadn't saved room for dessert, which Chris so proudly informed us is his wife's specialty laugh We promised ourselves & Chris that we'd be back before he left for his vacation to Miami on Easter.

Another full day in paradise...on the cart ride home Tom & I discussed the dream of moving here and having Chris' wife as our own personal chef like Oprah does laugh laugh A great thought and perhaps a possibility....that is, of living the dream forever wink

#84933 - 04/22/04 09:13 AM Re: Goody Part 4 - Carting to Costa Maya, Meeting Beachy etc.
mikell Offline
oh goody...you're making my mouth water all over again! we had the most fabulous meal at casa piccaso too! and chris is the best host!

wow...all those martini's!! i hope you didn't DRIVE home!! wink

another great installment...keep it up!

#84934 - 04/22/04 09:39 AM Re: Goody Part 4 - Carting to Costa Maya, Meeting Beachy etc.
Jack and Rose Offline
Goody, I knew you guys would love Casa Picasso. Yes great food,drinks & such gracious hosts. We went with 6 people for dinner & 2 others joined us for drinks & desert after. I myself don't drink alcohol, but I can say that the rest of them were sucking down those martini's. They loved the watermelon ones. We went on a Friday night when Jennifer cooked up a shrimp paella.It was fabulous & all six of us had it. To bad you didn't have dessert. I had one with sliced bananas,vanilla ice crean with I think a toffee sauce, incredible!!!!

Chris I know you watch this board a lot,I wish I could come for dinner tonight!!!!

#84935 - 04/22/04 09:54 AM Re: Goody Part 4 - Carting to Costa Maya, Meeting Beachy etc.
OK Goody and Gang.......
I am seriously starving! I too, love Casa Picassos!
I have learned that while the Tapas and Pasta are to die for..... you HAVE to save room for dessert. That's my first comment to anyone that I send there.
Chris is a sweetheart, but Jenn is THE BEST!!!!! I hope you got a chance to meet her as she is one of the coolest in San Pedro. (I keep telling Chris that he got lucky when he found her!)
Gotta tell this little story really quick.... Chris and Jenn had an employee that required surgery. So they did some fundraisers-- sold BBQ lunches (along with Cafe du Monde), had a raffle, etc etc. One of the raffle items was to buy Chris for 2 hours. He was highly sought after, but Caribe Island WON!! (We actually won Wayne from Sweet Basils/Cafe du Monde too!) So, they came out on a Sunday night and were our Guest Waiters. All of their tips were donated to the cause, and it was great fun. So not only are they fun people, they have great hearts.

#84936 - 04/22/04 09:57 AM Re: Goody Part 4 - Carting to Costa Maya, Meeting Beachy etc.
goody2shuz Offline
Jack...stop talking about that watermelon martini..it's the one I figured would go well in the summer with our friends....Chris anyway of getting that one wink and Jack...once was definitely not enough...we did go back, and yes, managed to have dessert and more...patience, Jack and you will hear all about it real soon laugh laugh ....Goody

#84937 - 04/22/04 10:08 AM Re: Goody Part 4 - Carting to Costa Maya, Meeting Beachy etc.
goody2shuz Offline
Oh Vicki...I was truly touched by that story...thanks for sharing. Can honestly see Chris doing such a wonderful thing & only having known him for a short while. And knowing Chris, the gentle & humble man that he is, will probably be hiding from such acknowledgement!!!

We, unfortunately did not have the honor of meeting Jenn...we did see her at a distance through a small window behind the bar working busily in the kitchen doing the thing she does best!!

And Chris...you should have had him shaking up those martinis for 2 hours...your bar would've been hopping. Oh...if I could have won that raffle that's exactly what I would've done!!!

Goodhearted people reap the rewards of life laugh laugh ....Goody

#84938 - 04/22/04 10:38 AM Re: Goody Part 4 - Carting to Costa Maya, Meeting Beachy etc.
BNBelizeSoon Offline
I may have been saved from a serious hangover if they had not been closed for Easter week! I would have had to miss diving if I had imbibed too much.... The drinks sound yummy and ummmm, food sounds wonderful! Sorry we missed it but glad that you two made up for it and I can live it through you...

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 56 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,687 Topics
461,187 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.