Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#8535 - 10/07/00 12:17 PM GET THIS!!!
Marty Offline
Good morning relief supplies are coming into Houston with support. The tv stations have now joined in the rally.
Yesterday I sent 11 boxes via Taca cargo with a generator. The boxes have been labeled correctly regarding the relief program. EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!is in CUSTOMS......THEY WANT DUTY DUTY DUTY... AM I angry I am furious. We are continuing to read they need food, baby supplies etc...well open the boxes and look in......
At this stage of a crisis the generators are not a luxury they are a necessity to the people..they are for designated people to insure they will be utilized correctly and fairly... I am ragin......
have a nice day
I am going to call Island air and see if they can get them out....

#8536 - 10/07/00 12:27 PM Re: GET THIS!!!
This is what I feared!! Government officials!! Get a clue! This is an emergency situation!!!

#8537 - 10/07/00 12:28 PM Re: GET THIS!!!
Belize Mama Offline
I have to agree this is OUTRAGEOUS! The government had better wake up and realise that they need this help and these supplies and that if they keep asking for duty on them....well they may just stop coming in.
Wake up!

#8538 - 10/07/00 12:36 PM Re: GET THIS!!!
Gerald Brown Offline
Maybe they could get some customs people to stay out at AC and CC to expedite things. Then you could at least get the stuff out there faster.

#8539 - 10/07/00 12:41 PM Re: GET THIS!!!
Marty Offline
Lets just say I have now spoken with Ms. Leslie the chief customs officer at
Int'l. Ms Yvonne at the Taca Warehouse in Belize city, and Rosita at Island
Ms. Leslie kindly shared with me that everything must have duty imposed
unless it goes through SUMA..it doesn't matter what Patty Arceo says...they
must follow the rules...SUMA must approve the items to allow duty free
Ramon at Island Air is now checking into for me... of course I was told that
this probably will not get resolved until after the weekend... at which
point... I could no longer speak....these are disaster relief supplies....
My temper is telling me to have TAca put everything back on an airplane..but
I will not do that!
I will keep you posted. I have called MUSA'S office and no one was there....

#8540 - 10/07/00 12:42 PM Re: GET THIS!!!
This IS DISGUSTING! I am ANGRY! Where is their compassion? They better start looking past the money and see what is going on...I have people ready and willing to GIVE GIVE GIVE and if they read/hear about this,they are going to think twice about a money hungry group like that. They have their hands out...they better take what is offered while it still is!!! Some of us here from this board ought to be in charge down there! Peace. June

#8541 - 10/07/00 12:54 PM Re: GET THIS!!!
Laguna Punta Offline
Doing business with customs is like doin business with BTL. Customs paraded there whole staff in to check out my VCR tape, entitled the "Two Fat Ladies". Guess they thought it was a hot flick, instead of a cooking show. I've never seen a more disappointed group of customs agents when they came out of their viewin room. That was worth the price of my round trip ticket.
Gone fishing!!

#8542 - 10/07/00 01:00 PM Re: GET THIS!!!
susangg Offline
What is SUMA? Can anyone translate this into English for those of us who don't know the in-crowd jargon? What organization is this?

If the GOB does not release all this stuff and make the Duty Moratorium announcement right now (or at the very least, announce that all boxes labelled "RELIEF SUPPLIES" is passed through) RIGHT NOW, the interntional news media is going to start running stories that Belize is like most of the other disaster sites in what they like to call the "Third world," where the outside world sends relief and corrupt government hacks interdict it at the airport and parcel it out among themselves to SELL. This happens all over Africa and Latin America and once Belize is given that label, forget any international aid. All they have to do is point to this and say "why send aid, it just goes to the government." That is a great excuse that US Congressmen use to avoid sending REAL aid (they don't like to send anything except guns) and it WORKS!
If Patty Arceo is willing, she should go to the airport with a FULL TV CREW IN TOW (Belizean TV) and loudly demand that the relief supplies be unblocked NOW and she should march over to the Prime Minister's office and get him cracking with a moratorium decree.
If she is unwilling to do that (and it is something to think about because she will anger some people in her party if she does it so it would take a whole lot of courage), a local delegation should still go and do it.
Meanwhile, those of you who have access to phones and fax, go to the list of government officials I listed and start PHONING and FAXING.
Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: susangg@garcia.mpowermail.com

#8543 - 10/07/00 01:01 PM Re: GET THIS!!!
Reed Purdy Offline
I wrote this a few moments ago and sent it to all the appropriete ministries, might help might not.

Reed Purdy

Prime Minister and Others

I am writing as an investor and concerned resident of Ambergris Caye. My wife and I are and have been making sizable investments in the Belize Economy and Ambergris Caye and will continue to do so. My wife Lori road out the storm and is now assisting with the cleanup. I will be down to assist in the next few weeks, but we seem to have a problem.

I just read that relief supplies are waiting to be delivered in BC at the airport are being held for duty payment before they can be released. This must be a mistake by a well intentioned Duty Officer. I am sure that the Belize Ministries involved must not have gotten the word out to there people that duty is suspended until the crisis is over.

No place in the free world would charge duty on emergency supplies, generators or anything during a state of emergency. I have been told that several military organization, Belize, Canada US and others are helping with the cleanup. I would imagine that these countries will forgo any payment from Belize for this assistance. The US Government has mobilized a task force to assist in the cleanup at no cost to the Belizean Government.

In times like these we must reevaluate the rules that are enacted, enforced and apply to the normal course of business in Belize.

It is inconsistent to accept free help and then not allow the supplies (private or public) to assist in that cleanup unless tax is paid.

Please reconsider your position and make your government personnel aware “NO TAX” during the crisis. The return to the Belizean economy will many times the few dollars collected on relief supplies.

Reed B. Purdy
PMI-Project Managment International, Inc.
379 Ukrajinska
Litvinov, Czech Republic 43601
Home: 42-035-773-0016
Work: 42-035-616-4189
Cell: 35-603-832-320
E-mail: reedp@pmi-corp.com
Reed Purdy

#8544 - 10/07/00 01:05 PM Re: GET THIS!!!
You can bet that the government will figure out a way to get their hands on some of the cash that has been sent as well!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 56 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,687 Topics
461,187 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.