Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#86096 - 05/10/04 05:42 PM Boat Rentals?
CrackerLarry Offline
Are there any powerboats available for rent in San Pedro, without guides? Something like a 17 foot skiff we could rent for a week and keep tied up at our hotel. We have always done this in the Exumas and love having a boat at our disposal.
I am a USCG licensed captain BTW. Ran my own charter boat out of Savannah Georgia for 10 years.

Larry T.

#86097 - 05/11/04 03:52 PM Re: Boat Rentals?
BiggieFL Offline
I have not read anything about it Larry. It is very common in the Bahamas but......

#86098 - 05/11/04 04:10 PM Re: Boat Rentals?
CrackerLarry Offline
Thanks for the reply. At least I know I wasn't being ignored :-)Seem like with all the fishing and diving, someone would rent boats?

Larry

#86099 - 05/11/04 04:11 PM Re: Boat Rentals?
SP Daily Offline
Too many uncharted reefs and shoals. Definitely takes local knowledge to operate a boat here.

#86100 - 05/11/04 05:41 PM Re: Boat Rentals?
BLUE_48_98 Offline
LARRY
IVE LOOKED ALL OVER THE INTERNET AND CANNOT FIND A BOAT FOR RENT EITHER. THE NEXT BEST THING IS TO RENT A SEA KAYAK . EASY TO HANDLE,GREAT FOR THE FLATS AND SKINNY WATER. GET A TWO MAN AND HAVE A GREAT TIME.

#86101 - 05/11/04 05:45 PM Re: Boat Rentals?
CrackerLarry Offline
Mr. Jesse, respectfully, "definitely" is painting with a wide brush. I grew up running boats around uncharted reefs and shoals. Been doing it 40 years. My license says "100 Ton Master, All Oceans" with Sail, Towboat, and Radar endorsements. I can run a skiff around AC, or anywhere else without incident.

Of course, I would still hire a guide for a day or two, for the local knowledge and the interaction. The local flavor and interacting with the people is the best part of traveling.

But having a boat at your disposal would be a major convenience. Thanks, I'll keep looking.

Larry

#86102 - 05/11/04 05:51 PM Re: Boat Rentals?
CrackerLarry Offline
Mr. Blue,
yeah the kayak is OK, for sure. Great for snorkeling. As long as the wind isn't too strong, you don't have too far to go, and you don't want to keep anything dry. We're staying at the Xanadu and they provide kayaks. Might have to be satisfied with that. Stroke, stroke, stroke, stroke...........

Larry

#86103 - 05/11/04 05:53 PM Re: Boat Rentals?
SP Daily Offline
Well Larry... there's a business opportunity for you! Buy some boats and put them up for rent here. The old-timers that were raised on the water here don't feel the confidence that you do. Go for it!

#86104 - 05/11/04 06:09 PM Re: Boat Rentals?
CrackerLarry Offline
Now there's a suggestion, Cap'n Jesse :-) Might just look into that. I'm going to need a place to retire in a few years.

I can just see it now, a fleet of 16' welded aluminum jonboats, with jet drive outboards, painted flourescent orange, with built in GPS tracking devices......

Have a good one....

Larry

#86105 - 05/11/04 07:46 PM Re: Boat Rentals?
cctx Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by CrackerLarry:

I can just see it now, a fleet of 16' welded aluminum jonboats, with jet drive outboards, painted flourescent orange, with built in GPS tracking devices......

....sunk on every reef around.... wink

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 27 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,058 Topics
462,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.