Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#86217 05/12/04 11:43 PM
OP Offline
Hang on to your face mask � we went snorkeling Sat AM! Out to Mexico Rocks and then closer to the reef. It was sooo awesome. One would think that I'd never been swimming in the ocean before from the grin inside my face mask. I've just never gone swimming in the ocean in May before - just too dangerous with all those ice chunks floating around.

The water was incredible, and the only bit of apprehension I had was waddling across the boat to get in position to jump ovah the side. Piece of cake I say! Took the boards advice, and as a newbie snorkel-er, wore a life vest so that I could concentrate on "watching" and not trying to stay afloat.

Got some cool pics, what with having never done that before, think we have 25 of the same fish! (hmmm or he/she had a very big family. Yeah that's it, a big family)

The other spot we went to was only about 6 feet deep so I didn't wear the vest. Found it so much easier to maneuver without it. The whole body floating thing was a wee bit off since the vest was too big for me.

Will offer this advice for anyone who hasn't snorkeling before - JUST DO IT! (and wear a t shirt)

The afternoon was a "hanging out" photo opt kinda day. AND since I was running short, also did a load of laundry. (man did I go through a lot of t shirts!) Nice touch the Belizean Shores has a laundry room and had all but forgotten what a DRY t shirt felt like.

Oh, and met Tincup and her hubby while waiting for a machine to free up. Nice folks - down to earth.

Went into town and ate at Crumba's � greatt meal, great price, great staff.

Started asking around to see if anyone knew where the "Gin House" was and mentioned something about a new start Anglican Church. Received LOTS of polite "no's from folks and noticed that mamma's were slowly backing away from me with their small children in tow.

I had forgotten to print out the "where" part when Marty had posted about the new church, and all I could recall was that it was above a bar, heavens knows how I got "Gin House" stuck in my head, Rum House maybe, but not gin.

As you can probably tell, no one had a clue. So we decided to head back 20 minutes early to the Island ferry. Now � I gotta remind you that Bryan is a Pastor and I'm well past thinking that things are "just a coincidence". We're about 5 minutes from the dock and a man with a bicycle comes up and says that he's not asking for money but that he's hungry and would we go to the market with him and buy him some food. We can see the market, just a couple buildings around the corner. So Bryan says, yes, and off we go. He asks if he can buy a loaf of bread some peanut butter. No problem, and when we step outside, we say our goodbyes and take a short cut to the dock. AND AND AND � there is an Internet Café! BINGO ---- I can get on-line, get to the message board and find the tread about the church. Hmmm the Hammock House sounds nothing like the "Gin House". I ask the girl behind the bar where is the Hammack House, she says at "the cut" � ohhhh man, we've passed it all week, have I not been paying the least bit of attention????

Sunday morning I'm sitting on a milk crate in the front row, outside and upstairs at the Hammock House, singing along with Father Malcolm as he plays praise hymns on his guitar - knowing that "if" we'd said. "no go away lil man" or "if" we'd just given him a few bucks and NOT gone to the market - there is no way that we'd seen the internet place and been on-line looking up the location. Nope, no way.

NOTE: For now the church is being called "Our Church" - they meet the first Sunday of each month. It's an Anglican service, in English, and a REALLY, REALLY nice way to start a Sunday morning. Like AC, very informal. There were about 10 people at the service. We met some neat folks, and went to Sweet Basil with Malcom (dropped the Father as soon as the service was ovah), his wife Mary and another couple that we met at the service and who live on AC.

A truly wonderful day that happened because of a loaf of bread �. Who would-a thought!

(oh and Thanks to Marty for posting the thread in the first place!)

laugh

(uploading pics tomorrow)

"The truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery even when he must take a detour"
#86218 05/13/04 12:40 AM
Nice highlight of your trip, buying bread and peanut butter for the man, to find Our Church.

I can visualize you sitting on that milk crate singing Praises, at Hammock House. Delightful.

Dare To Deviate
#86219 05/13/04 06:25 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Chloe, it was so cool! Folks coming across on the hand ferry were watching AND it musta looked like a Kodak moment to one gal who stopped to take a pic. Also sparked the interest of some kids at the houses across the way.

The location is perfect for folks staying "north" and for doing some children's ministry. I've already got this pic in my head of a puppet ministry in the "once a month church parking lot" and free "refreshments" for the kids. I'd come for free snacks.

A BIG bold thank you to ... to ... hmmm ... forgot who runs the Hammock House (aghhhh) for letting the church meet there.

Sighhhh .... just wish that the the commute wasn't so far, this is the stuff that I love to be involved in.

[Linked Image]

Pics are uploaded
Week End Report

"The truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery even when he must take a detour"
#86220 05/13/04 07:29 AM
laugh ..... laugh ..... laugh ..... I really am reading and viewing. I probably didn't fool you one second, did I smile

There are no bad parts, just bad people. You've picked another spot for a heavenly life. Even the 'have not' folks have a home in paradise wink

Pass the peanutbutter wink

Ok Einstein, the water goes in which direction smile
Good job.......you caught the attention, even the fish are laughing and holdin on to their lettuce to stay IN the water laugh

( Barefoot Skinny )

#86221 05/13/04 09:42 AM
Welcome back Mary and Bryan! Having a hard time controlling the grins when you think about AC? I bet people wonder what's wrong with us as we carry on about Belize to anyone that will listen.
I have been enjoying your posts. Sounds like you quickly adjusted and got into the flow of AC.
The other night I fell asleep on the couch and heard my dog barking. It kind of woke me up but I thought I was still in Belize and just let her bark, eventually realizing that I was back at the Florida condo. In Belize the barking is part of the environment. In Florida it is a no-no.
If you are still walking around with "the grin" you know you are hooked and will be back.
-tincup

#86222 05/13/04 03:48 PM
OP Offline
The grin is in my back pocket today, just waiting to put it back on! Have my "serious-get-down-to-business" face on. That's the cuz I have some admin work that needs to get done, and with that silly Belizean grin, it's just too hard to stay focused!

No wonder I was having some problems with the flipping and vest action, I was UPSDIE down! Silly me ....

And got to thinking about the "have not" pic .. HMMM ... just who am I to say that it's a "have not" (and visa versa) they might have everything that they want ... roof, food and no car payments! Gonna change that title.

:rolleyes:

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 330 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.