Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86316 - 05/15/04 11:15 PM Last trip Report
wannaBEthere Offline
Last report …

Sunday pic of Our Church finally got uploaded. (it’s in the Belize Weekend album.) Go ahead, peek at it, I’ll wait. Here’s the plug for the church …. They meet the 1st Sunday of each month, at the Hammock House. GREAT group of folks will make you feel more then welcome, no matter who you are, or when, or if, you go to church. Something very special happens there, you’ll see.

Monday arrived and that meant we were into the wind-down part of our trip. Met up with Capt Jeff for lunch at the Stained Glass Pub. Nice surprise, Capt Jeff treated us to lunch – the fish the he had just caught that morning. Fresh fish, “as in just off the boat and taken in the back door fresh." He had the kitchen prepare it three different ways. Now mind you, I grew up living on the coast, BUT never had fish that tasted that good. Should also note that the Stain Glass Pub must make some wicked good burgers, cuz that’s what Capt. Jeff had instead of fish.

After lunch we did a swing by Capt Bicho’s to pick up Neri. She was going to go to the school with us when we dropped off the supplies. Kids were on a break when we got there – lots and lots and lots of kids! I LOVE photographing kids, they’re such hams! Speaking of hams, Capt Jeff made a bee-line for a couple of the group shots. Y’all smile and say CHEESE.

Spent the rest of the day just golf carting around and trying to make as many memories as possible. Gave a whole bunch of rides – great fun with the kids shooting directions from the back. Something that seemed so natural there, one could never do here in the states. Too dangerous – how sad for our society.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice on the best way to enjoyAC! With all the info beforehand, it was like we had already been there.

Looking forward to a return trip, would like to spend more time getting to know the “local culture” – and “not as a tourist.” In the past that’s meant getting the hands dirty, but those moments have been some of the most blessed.

(Hmmm wonder if they ever allow volunteers to help at school for a week?)

Belize School

That’s about it folks ….

"The truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery even when he must take a detour"

#86317 - 05/16/04 10:16 AM Re: Last trip Report
captjeff Offline
you guys did a wonderful thing to bring school stuff down to the kids....glad I was a help in your ,,quest to do just that .. the kids here are great . and you two folks are so sweet to think of them ..but to do gods work , every day you have to be special people !!!!! it was nice meeting you .. keep in touch
Living The Dream Every Day!

#86318 - 05/17/04 10:08 AM Re: Last trip Report
Jack and Rose Offline
Great pictures of the kid,s and I,m sure they appreciate the supplies more than we can imagine.
I,m already collecting various item to bring on the next trip. For various personel reasons I avoid stepping in to organized churches, but I,d sit at the Hammock House with you guys any Sunday with you guys.

#86319 - 05/17/04 05:59 PM Re: Last trip Report
wannaBEthere Offline
Ohhhh man, now I'm gonna get all weepy! Sighhhhh - I won't be sitting in "Our Church" again until next year, when we come back down. But, since you sound so sweet, you can have my milk crate, it's the 4th red one from the left.

Seriously, the service is really nice and I like the idea that it's outside.

You'll like Father Malcom and Mary, they come all the way up from Punta Gorda. (and after the service, it's just plain Malcom!)

"The truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery even when he must take a detour"

#86320 - 05/17/04 07:35 PM Re: Last trip Report
goody2shuz Offline
Hey, AWTY...it's Goody!!! Been recuping from my surgery and just was able to catch up on the trip reports...your's was absoloutely fabulous!! The pics are breathtaking & truly capture what a visit to San Pedro is like and why so many are captured by the people who live there!!! The people are what it's all about...we were touched by everyone of them that we met and how eager they were to share all that they had with you. Wish we had the opportunity to visit the school..it was on our list of things to do but they were on Easter vacation at the time!!! Thanks for the pics of your visit there...felt like we were there too!!...Goody

#86321 - 05/18/04 12:31 PM Re: Last trip Report
fuzzy_navel Offline
Oh man! Is this the last trip report awty? I so looked forward to them! {Sigh} Guess I'll have to do without. Great job though! Hubby and I will be down in Nov. and hope to catch the service on Sunday. Can't think of a better way to start off the day on AC.

Hi Goody! Glad to see you checking in. I hope your recuperation is going well.

#86322 - 05/18/04 02:01 PM Re: Last trip Report
BiggieFL Offline
Headin' down in 3 weeks....what supplies do they need still? I have some basics but wondering about any specifics, etc. Are basics the most important like erasers and pencils, etc?

#86323 - 05/18/04 04:12 PM Re: Last trip Report
CrackerLarry Offline
I'm headin down in 4 weeks and would also be glad to bring supplies. What do they need and who do I need to give them to?

#86324 - 05/18/04 06:21 PM Re: Last trip Report
wannaBEthere Offline
Hopefully what I'm going to say won't create a conflict. It's come to my attention that lots of kids in Belize are needing school supplies. Most schools are in the same situation as the ones on San Pedro. My personal opinion is that the schools in San Pedro might fair a little better due to the postings on this board, and the tourist that visit. The schools that are "out of the way" or not in a tourist area on the main land struggle also. I'd like to offer a couple of options for you to think about.

Please read the first message in the thread entitled "Our Church". It will give you some background on Father Malcome and Mary who are coming to San Pedro once a month to hold Anglican church services. They are serving in Punta Gorda (and have friends right there in San Pedro) Father Malcom and Mary are starting up some preschools, they could use supplies.

The other possibility is that I've been in contact with a lady who works at Solid Rock Academy in Dangeria, and from what she has told me, their school is also in need of supplies.

Lastly on our way to Lamani we drove through a couple of small villages that had schools. My guess is that they don't see much in the way of donated supplies. I would hope that one of the tour guides wouldn't mind making a quick stop to drop them off.

Just something to consider.

If you'd like more info or names for contacts, you can email me at:

Can say from the bottom of my heart, what ever you decided to do, they will be greatly appreciated and you will feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

#86325 - 05/18/04 06:26 PM Re: Last trip Report
wannaBEthere Offline
Thanks for the kind words Goody and Fuzzy. Yupers 'fraid so, last report until next year!

How sad for me ... wa wa waaaaa ... sniff

Hey Fuzzy, we'll be waiting for you report! Bet you can't wait for Nov.

Hmmm wonder how I can get Santa to pay my way down to "Play Santa" ???? Ho HO HO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 36 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,697 Topics
461,207 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.