Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#86797 - 05/26/04 03:27 PM What's Biting?
Vacationlover Offline
I can't seem to find any up to date information on how the fishing is. We're going down in a week, how is the bonefishing and tarpon right now? What's an average day catch for these species right now? Getting really fired up, can't wait!

#86798 - 05/26/04 04:34 PM Re: What's Biting?
goody2shuz Offline
Vacationlover...if you want bonefishing and tarpon you'll need to go out with a guide called Severo. This guy will bring you right on the fish....all you gotta do is catch 'em. My husband is very much into flyfishing and Severo is an excellent guide to do this with. My husband caught mostly bones average of 8 in a half day that was in April. He said the tarpon were there as were the permit...schools of them, but that they were easily scared & not biting despite him putting various types of flies on them. As far as what's out there now...not quite sure on that one. Good luck....Goody

#86799 - 05/26/04 04:57 PM Re: What's Biting?
Casita Folks Offline
Listen to goody2shuz, most of the other fishing guides that you hear people talk about were trained by Severo and His brother. Great choice and he will put you right on the fish.

#86800 - 05/26/04 05:06 PM Re: What's Biting?
kimical Offline
Two more votes for Severo here--we spent 2 days with him---fishing, beach bbq, etc. and he was the best guide we were with the whole time we were there. He is also a bit less expensive than some and makes the trip for everyone super fun. He will even take you snorkeling for half the day if you want. You can email him at servero@btl.net

#86801 - 05/26/04 05:12 PM Re: What's Biting?
BLUE_48_98 Offline
IF YOU GO TO PAGE 2 OF THIS SITE AND LOOK FOR " BETTER LATE THAN NEVER" BY ANGELO HE GOES INTO PRETTY GOOD DETAIL ABOUT FLY SELECTION FOR BONES AND TARPON. ONE OF THE BETTER THREADS COVERING THIS TOPIC. THIS TIME OF YEAR THE POONS ARE TO #50. PLENTY OF BONES AND GOOD FOR PERMIT. ITS ALL ACCORDING TO YOUR ABILITY AND HOW YOU HANDLE THE WINDS.THE LARGE MIGRATORY FEMALE TARPON SHOW UP IN JULY AND AUGUST. A 10 WEIGHT SHOULD SURFICE FOR NOW. BUMP IT UP TO 12 WEIGHT FOR JULY AND AUGUST, POONS TO #100+. GOOD LUCK AND TIGHT LINES.

#86802 - 05/26/04 05:22 PM Re: What's Biting?
Vacationlover Offline
Thanks everyone. I was reading a lot about Captain Bicho on another thread, how is he? Seems to get good publicity, but how is he at putting people on fish?

#86803 - 05/26/04 05:23 PM Re: What's Biting?
Casita Folks Offline
I'll try to get
severo's e-mail address for you, if I can find it.

#86804 - 05/26/04 05:32 PM Re: What's Biting?
kimical Offline
We fished once with Capt Bicho and twice with Severo and honestly we preferred Severo. He was a bit less expensive and was willing fish, snorkel, bbq-whatever we preferred. We caught lots of fish and had a great day. He is super friendly and laid back. The one difference we noticed is that he let all 4 of us fish at once. With Bicho it was just 2 at a time. He was all over it--baiting, getting the fish in, etc. as fast as we could catch them. I don't think you will be disappointed.

#86805 - 05/26/04 07:08 PM Re: What's Biting?
captjeff Offline
you guys make me laugh ,severo and bicho are relatives ,they live next door to another ,capt bicho worked for severo for years in fact some people thought it was servero but never new it was not ,,,severo saved for a boat first and started in business first ,bicho had six kids two deaf ,so it took him a while to get a boat now he has two boats soon three ,boats as people love this guy I have fished with both , think bicho is great I love to go out with capt bicho think he is as good as or maybe even better then severo ???? vey multi talented ,best bbq beach feast no questions asked the best hands down ,,, ,now we are talking about me taking over 100 fishing trips with bicho ,so can I talk the talk and walk the walk ,bicho has been working at earning his keep fishing since 12 years old .. while some one is for sure to have his or her favorites , but to say one is better then the other after one or two or ten trips is a personal choice unless ,,you have fished with both many times this just your personal feelings ,not fact ,, ..they fish in the same spots in fact bicho and severro talk about the catch and where the sardines are .. as they grew up and live next door to one another ,if you picked ether you would not go wrong ..just remember capt bicho uses a mate so you get two people to pamper you on the reef days ,serervo is one person , my point if you use ether you will not go wrong .just know who your guide do not book for price ... and do not be cheap with a fishing capt ,it is only a few bucks $$$for first class your on a vacation ,,,good things are not cheap cheap things are not good ...good luck fishing ..hope to meet you guys the capt will be down from the 2 of june till the 8 of june come by see my catch .of fish .. go live the dream and enjoy your days in sanpedro ..

#86806 - 05/26/04 07:17 PM Re: What's Biting?
kimical Offline
We defintely thought Severo was first class--wasn't about saving money--we just enjoyed our trip a bit better although both were good. Both Beach BBQ's were great--one wasn't better than the other. Just nice to have some options.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,673 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,048 Topics
462,276 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.