Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#8782 - 10/08/00 02:12 AM Is shopping in Mexico an alternative???
susangg Offline
Thinking about alternatives, but don't know if any of them are reasonable, feasible or legal. They are:

1. Does Belize have a free trade agreement with Mexico yet?
2. If not, are duties lower than they are bringing items in from the US???
3. Are stores in Chetumal bare of supplies due to their own hurricane impact? I recall that Chetumal has some stores that are similar to Costco and Home Depot and they are full of practical things. I also know that there is a lot of building going on there and probably many sources of tools, construction equipment and supplies, etc.
4. If indeed the shelves are not bare, and duty is either non existent or lower there, perhaps delegations could be dispatched to make big shopping trips and drive the stuff in trucks to Corozal and arrange to bring it over on barges or boats?
5. Given the slowness of government, might it still be possible to set up a quick non profit and rent space in the Free Trade Zone and funnel relief and rebuilding supplies through there? I don't know anything about the FTZ but I did hear that items purchased there are duty free.
6. Or, if setting up a quick nonprofit (or renting space for an existing tax exempt non profit, if indeed there are any in Belize or such a concept exists in Belize, are there businesses already operating there that might allow goods to be purchased through them for a fee that is lower than customs duties? Is that legal?
_________________________
Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: susangg@garcia.mpowermail.com

Top
#8783 - 10/08/00 04:42 AM Re: Is shopping in Mexico an alternative???
Marty Offline
I think it would be much easier to bring in things through Chetumal myself...

and i love the small credit union idea....

the more business we can do in Belize the better. And it would be a real big plus for their local economy in Corozal. I know Peter may be working with Jeff Gram, to supply materials and men. I love the idea of a floating sailboat hardware store. the more sailboats the better. gas is scarce. you don't have to look around three days for gas, you can get there in a couple hours...

It would be great to get something going for the small businesses, the street food marketers.

Corozal/Chetumal was nearly untouched by the storm.

I'll send your questions to Peter, he will have the answers to some of these...

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 10-07-2000).]

Top
#8784 - 10/08/00 04:51 AM Re: Is shopping in Mexico an alternative???
Marty Offline
.

Top
#8785 - 10/08/00 08:42 AM Re: Is shopping in Mexico an alternative???
Marty Offline
Hi Susan -- we've met before by Email on the BZ culture list.

>Thinking about alternatives, but don't know if any of them are reasonable,
>feasible or legal. They are:
>1. Does Belize have a free trade agreement with Mexico yet?


No


>2. If not, are duties lower than they are bringing items in from the US???


There are no duties charged for transhipping though Mexico -- but a bond
must be made to cover the value of the load -- if the load does not exit
Mexico within a specified period -- it the bond is forfeit.


>3. Are stores in Chetumal bare of supplies due to their own hurricane
>impact? I recall that Chetumal has some stores that are similar to Costco
>and Home Depot and they are full of practical things. I also know that
>there is a lot of building going on there and probably many sources of
>tools, construction equipment and supplies, etc.


I heard this from a wholesaler here around five days ago. Right now -- hard
to tell. Chetumal has good supplies of everything in normal times.


>4. If indeed the shelves are not bare, and duty is either non existent or
>lower there, perhaps delegations could be dispatched to make big shopping
>trips and drive the stuff in trucks to Corozal and arrange to bring it over
>on barges or boats?


Can be arranged to be shipped directly from Chetumal -- but probably the
simplest method would be to truck it in -- clearing customs. But make sure
you arrange this all with a local broker. Saves so much time. The broker
always gets a better deal than you would on duty. They do not charge much
-- so you save money in the end.


We are talking the difference between hours and minutes here.

>5. Given the slowness of government, might it still be possible to set up a
>quick non profit and rent space in the Free Trade Zone and funnel relief
>and rebuilding supplies through there? I don't know anything about the FTZ
>but I did hear that items purchased there are duty free.


You can do exactly the same by simply spotting the loads in the no man's
land. Can't remember the cost for doing this -- a few dollars per day.

>6. Or, if setting up a quick nonprofit (or renting space for an existing
>tax exempt non profit, if indeed there are any in Belize or such a concept
>exists in Belize, are there businesses already operating there that might
>allow goods to be purchased through them for a fee that is lower than
>customs duties? Is that legal?


The wholesaler/importers here do it exactly as described above. No such
thing as non-profit -- tax exempt her that I know about or have heard about.


But there is one non-profit organization that has tons of experience in
getting donations into Belize that you can contact. The Rotarians.

Top

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!


Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (t42, 1 invisible), 31 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,047 Topics
462,273 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM




AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.