Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#87861 - 06/10/04 10:42 PM island attire?
Sandal Offline
I'm new to Belize!!!! What is the "Dress Code" for dinner. Do you see most everyting from shorts to sundresses? We've visited other islands and at dinner Lds.-sundresses. Men-dress pants,collared shirts, but I hear Belize is much more laid back. Can someone give me some insight?

#87862 - 06/10/04 11:13 PM Re: island attire?
toad Offline
why do you care what other people are wearing?...

#87863 - 06/10/04 11:38 PM Re: island attire?
Sam Scuba Offline
I have been to Ambergris Caye 3 times and will be returning in July. You are correct that the island is very laid back and casual. If you bring nothing but shorts and tee shirts, you will blend. I have seen posts by women who take sun dresses, but they are certainly in the minority.

Another tip: Since the roads are all unpaved, it is pointless to take anything but shoes that can be rinsed off under running water. So I take my casual flip flops and my dress flip flops.

There are numerous posts by people who have gone to San Pedro armed with far too many outfits and brought most of them home clean. As a chronic heavy packer, I am trying to turn over a new leaf myself. So pack light and enjoy the freedom.

#87864 - 06/11/04 01:11 AM Re: island attire?
seashell Offline
Sundresses are lighter and easier to pack than a bunch of shorts and t-shirts (for the ladies that is). They are generally cooler too.

That said, I always pack like a princess. I usually stay quite a while and I like to have choices. That said, I generally end up wearing the same pair or two of shorts over and over and over, instead of the other 3 I also packed just so that I'd have choices. Most important thing is lots of clean undies . . . especially bras for the ladies . . . even more especially if you like to dance.

The advice on the shoes is right on. I rarely wear flipflops because I like sandals that I can dance in. Regardless, all my sandals are comfy and easily handle dust, sand and mud. Flipflops can get stuck in mud, whereas Teva-like sandals stick with you . . .um, so to speak.

If you are going to be spending lots of time in the water, bring at least two bathing suits.

Sarongs are light, easy to pack and work for a coverup while walking on the streets or down the beach (most Belizeans are modest that way so it is respectful to your hosts). Sarongs can also make a great little outfit for dinner. Or a beachblanket or a sunbarrier if you burn easily.

As for the gentlemen, slacks and collared shirts are overkill.
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#87865 - 06/11/04 01:13 AM Re: island attire?
seashell Offline
Tagg, I should ask, when are you going? If you are going in the winter months, a pair of long pants and a light jacket might come in handy if a norther blows through, though certainly not always needed.
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#87866 - 06/11/04 06:34 AM Re: island attire?
Sandal Offline
Thank you Sam and Seashell, Those tips are very helpful. I always pack too much. I had heard the streets were all sand so the shoe advice will come in handy.We will be there he first week in July.

#87867 - 06/11/04 08:45 AM Re: island attire?
Bobber Offline
Shorts, sandals or flip flops and t-shirts are normal. Most people look casual and comfortable in these, and it doesn't connote a scruffy appearance. There are a few scruffy tourist folk around, but they are a minority. I like to take a few collared colorful tropic shirts along. When you spend the day in a bathing suit or shorts and a tank top, it is a nice feeling to don something cleaner for dinner. Sundresses for the ladies are always nice to look at. And, pack more than one bathing suit, if you have only one, it will never get dry and gets a little gamy after the first week. I normally figure a pair of shorts a day, and 2 t-shirts or tank tops per day. They can get real sweaty real fast.
Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt

#87868 - 06/11/04 09:21 AM Re: island attire?
RC Offline
ok folks I keep reading about extra bras...I am going to AC in July. We will be fishing a lot. I understand extra swimsuits but why extra bras? Somebody clue me in

#87869 - 06/11/04 09:36 AM Re: island attire?
bywarren Offline
This is not normally at topic that would peak my interests and invoke a response i.e. what others wear. But, I will jump in on this one solely to give a perspective from one who lives there.

Every reply so far is correct. From a tourists point of view, AC is very casual and one can definitely get by and not be out of place wearing very casual dress. That is one of it’s attractions to many. AC is also developing (dammit). Well, that is a double edged sword. On one hand I miss the AC of 30 years ago, on the other it is nice to have the amenities like nice restaurants to go out to. My point being, there are many restaurants where you can go that have spent a lot of effort and money to create a nice atmosphere. And, I think it is nice to see people “smartly” dressed , like a nice pair of pants and maybe a linen or silk shirt for the men. For us that live here, we might be considered “over dressed” by many tourists standards. But, it is nice to go to dinner and “dress up” a little on those special occasions.

So feel free to bring what ever you feel comfortable wearing. You will not be out of place if you go out for that “special dinner” and wear something a step up from shorts and a tee shirt.

From a mans point of view, I like very much seeing my partner in a nice sun dress, or what ever you ladies call those, or a pair of pants and top and even heels once and a while. Of course I also like seeing her without any of that on. laugh

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Philus, 1 invisible), 35 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,697 Topics
461,208 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.