Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#87945 - 06/12/04 11:22 AM Bride's Beware!!!!
lacole Offline
I do have a bit of advice for you future brides. DO NOT GET A FACIAL THE WEEK OF YOUR WEDDING!!!!!! My esthetician was booked so I decided to get one in San Pedro.
I went to get a facial on Thursday( 2 days before my wedding, May 22,2004) at Personal Touch which was given by Delmay. The type of facial I recieved was called a Glycolic, an acid base the supposedly brings everything to the surface(which I didn't know until it was applied to my face). The appointment was made the day before and I made sure the they knew that I was getting married on Saturday. And I even asked about the facials. When I arrived, again to spoke to Dalmay and told her that I would be married in 2 days. She did not deter me in any way from getting this type of facial.Everything was going well until she applied the glycolic to my face. She told me that I may experience some slight itching, tingling or burning. And if I do to let her know. Delmay,put it on, asked if I was ok(which I was at the time) and left the room. For 5 minutes my face went through all three things she had warned me about, but to the extreme that I wanted to run out of the room and wash it off my face myself. As soon as she came back into the room, I told her what was happening. She asked if I could wait just a little bit longer. I said "yes". I was thinking ok I can hold out for another minute or two. Ten minutes later(after my arms and legs massage) she finally took it off. And boy was I relieved. Everything was fine until the next day, when I noticed bump formations on my face(which by the way weren't pimples I found out later on). Saturday, the day of my wedding, I noticed a little more. I was slightly concerned now, but I was assured that it wasn't anything make-up couldn't cover. Ok, no big deal, the wedding went beautifully and my face looked wonderfully;that's until I took off my make-up. Make-up came off, I screamed and hubby came running into the bathroom. The only thing he could say was, "Wow, your face didn't look like that this morning." We both just stood in the mirror in awe. Needless to say, each day, my face got worse and worse. For a woman who only has 1 or 2 pimples a month to a face full of white pustules, it was extremely devestating for me. Not to mention all of my guests(20), including the children were asking, "What happened to your face"? I have never broken out from a facial, so I didn't even think twice about not getting one 2 days before our wedding. We left San Pedro 3 days after the wedding and I as soon as I got home I called my esthetician for an emergency appointment for the next day. What she said horrified me and my face horrified her. She was extremely upset that lisenced person would even consider applying this type of treatment before a such a great event. Here is what I was told.
A glycolic is the worst type of facial to get before a wedding, especially 2 days before. That should have been told to me regardless of whether I knew anything about the facial. And any person who is lisenced would know this and would discourage this before a big event like a wedding. Because it does bring pimples to the surface. Secondly, what appeared(somewhat) to look like pimples were not. I actually had a bad reaction to the glycolic treatment because 1 of 3 or all things. 1. The glycolic was cheap 2. it was left on too long(2 minutes was the max it should have been left on )3. the strength was too strong.
There was not much she could do, but she did what she could. I was told it would take 1-2 weeks before my face would heal(hopefully). I was extremely upset for several reasons, one in particular was that we were leaving the following day to spend two weeks in Spain for our honeymoon. I spend the first 2 days of our honeymoon crying. So, I looked hideous for another 4 days before my face started to clear up.
Now, it looks like nothing even happened, thankfully. We travel around the world a lot and I've received many facials and never has this happened to me before. So again, AVOID THE GLYCOLIC, AVOID A FACIAL THE FIRST WEEK OF YOUR WEDDING(JUST IN CASE), AND IF YOU GO TO PERSONAL TOUCH IN SAN PEDRO ASK IF DELMAY AND OTHERS ARE LICENSED.

#87946 - 06/12/04 11:48 PM Re: Bride's Beware!!!!
Pedro1 Offline
In regard to hairdressers masseusses beauticians -they have all basically learned their skills by working in the shop-there is no such thing as licenses.

#87947 - 06/13/04 03:02 AM Re: Bride's Beware!!!!
toad Offline
acid on the face...what will they think of next, bat dung on the lashes?....

#87948 - 06/14/04 04:52 PM Re: Bride's Beware!!!!
nancyo Offline
Glycolic peels and sun don't mix either. The purpose of a glycolic peel is to take off the first few top layers of skin cells so that you reach the new fresh skin. Peels should never be left on for 10 minutes - it's a shame you had to experience this - hopefully no lasting damage was done to your skin.

#87949 - 06/14/04 07:55 PM Re: Bride's Beware!!!!
Tom Offline
lacole,
I am so sorry that you had a bad experience with the facial,(something I avoid at all cost). I had read your messages on the board before your wedding and know how much you were looking forward to it being perfect and beautiful.
Don't you remember the saying that if anything bad can happen with a wedding it will. Why do you think they have sooo many of them on the bloobers.
Myself, I fell on some ice delivering flowers to a church for a wedding the week before my own and sprained my right wrist, that was interesting in the receiving line, I drapped my bouquet over it and used my left hand. My husband to be worked in a place that did heat treating and got a burn from that a week before we got married. I will never forget him trying to put my panty hose on me the morning after the wedding as I still could not use my right hand. That was 34 years ago.
I know that this little story may not mean much to you but the fact is you will never forget what happened either, but life goes on and I'm sure that you will have many more really great memories throughout your life. Your husband didn't refuse to marry you or divorce you when you didn't look perfect for your honeymoon, you are a lucky woman.
Kat

#87950 - 06/18/04 04:12 PM Re: Bride's Beware!!!!
lacole Offline
You're right he did marry me. He was so sweet everyday and several times a day,he kept saying how beautiful I looked. I know he was lying.

#87951 - 06/18/04 04:39 PM Re: Bride's Beware!!!!
Tom Offline
lacole,

You are one lucky woman to get such a great guy. There are alot of people that would not have ended up with the positive strokes you got, that says alot for him. You got through it too and that says alot for you. You are blessed to have each other.
Kat

#87952 - 06/18/04 05:05 PM Re: Bride's Beware!!!!
Skyliner Offline
And this happened to an RN?

#87953 - 06/18/04 08:23 PM Re: Bride's Beware!!!!
lacole Offline
Kat-thanks so much. Yes we are both very lucky.
Skyliner--Anything at any given time can happen to anyone. As you know, no one knows everything. Being an RN and an esthetician are two totally different specialties. Or did you not know that?By the way, I never posted that I was an RN.

#87954 - 06/18/04 08:35 PM Re: Bride's Beware!!!!
GAY AND DAVID Offline
you listed your occupation in your profile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Spork, 1 invisible), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,064 Topics
462,323 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.