Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#88419 - 06/22/04 04:09 PM Belize bound!
sophie's mama Offline
Sophie's mama here. My husband, mom & stepdad are planning a weeklong trip to A/C in August or September. Originally this trip was going to be a 15th anniversary celebration for hubby & me, but when I described what I was learning about A/C & Belize to mama, she just flipped. Actually I'd been searching the typical Caribbean trips (Jamaica, Bahamas, USVI, Cayman Is.) & was frustrated with the oh-so-inclusive resortiness of it all. As a forty-something person, seems I'd done a lot of that before. What I really hoped to find was a place to kick back and enjoy the natural beauty and bounty of the tropics, plus a place more like our former home on the NC coast (or redneck riviera, as I liked to call it) where folks are truly "folksy."
So here's the deal: now that our party has grown from 2 to 4, I'm struggling. I'd already done a bit of homework and had concluded (at least until I read somewhere on this board, I think, that they've come under new management) a place like Caribbean Villas, where the focus is on wildlife (& not the kind in the clubs!). Trouble is, it appears their accomodations have only 1 bedroom, which is a bit too much closeness (I love my family, but c'mon.....) The price at the CV seemed right, however. Now I've had to scramble. On my short list now: of the larger spots: Villas at BB, the Palms, Seven Seas, Exotic Cayes. The smaller houses/condos: Casa Azul, Villa del Sol, San Telmo, Belize Beach Suites. All of these rooms appear to be around or less than $200 US per night (which is our limit). Any thoughts on any of these places for a group of middle aged snorkly, fishy, and birdy types???

#88420 - 06/22/04 04:53 PM Re: Belize bound!
seashell Offline
Did you look at Xanadu?

#88421 - 06/22/04 05:04 PM Re: Belize bound!
sophie's mama Offline
Thanks, Seashell:
I did look at Xanadu- thanks. Their rates, however, were closer to $300US per night, when you factor in service charges, tax, etc. We're searching for a better rate (so maybe we can afford a jungle or extra dive trip.) Incidentally, is Tikal really THE Mayan site to see (assuming we'll only have time to take in 1 inland trip). What about Altun Ha or Lamanai?

#88422 - 06/22/04 05:35 PM Re: Belize bound!
Fluffy Offline
Go to www.belizeisfun.com for the Exotic Caye Beach Resort or email direct at playador@btl.net address the message to Carol. They have condos that they lease out and should be able to accommodate you as well as fit your price range.

The resort has Monkey Bites, which is a restaurant, Crazy Canucks Beach bar, awesome time, a fresh water pool and a dive shop on location.

It is 10 minutes walking distance from town. Grocery store right around the corner.

You can't go wrong.

I stayed there in March, May and will be staying there again in September.

#88423 - 06/22/04 05:41 PM Re: Belize bound!
seashell Offline
Sorry about that Sophie's mama. Did you look at Paradise Villas and Belizean Reef? They are within the price range you seek.

Someone else will have to answer as to ruins.

#88424 - 06/22/04 09:18 PM Re: Belize bound!
Tom Offline
Well I sure am middle aged and love staying at Exotic Caye aka;Playador very much. That is why I bought a condo there. Love seeing the different birds and has alot of nice palm trees. Hammocks to lay around in or beach chair and lounge chairs too. It is an easy walk to town and there are sooo many places that you can book day trips tp ruins,snorkling and fishing. They just put in a new and extended dock and I can hardly wait to get there to see it. You won't find a friendlier place tha San Pedro. I am just an ordinary gal and just love the place. You will have a great time no matter where you wind up staying.
Kat

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (Marty, wiley, 2 invisible), 43 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,043 Topics
462,256 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.