Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
Does anyone have any information on these two establishments? Rants? Raves?

Looking to spend two weeks in AC/San Pedro 7/25 - 8/8.

Any advice is welcomed.

TIA

T
T
did you know your author name spells bar broad?

Well, I don't think either resort is actually in San Pedro, and Lighthouse Reef is way too far to commute. I stayed at Lighthouse Reef resort in 12/98 for a week. It is a small island that accommodates fewer than 30 people with cute cabins. There is a communal dining room where guests eat family style, and you are truly a captive audience. The food was adequate and filling but often too heavy for my taste. By the end of the week we were tired of it.

Lighthouse Reef has many wonderful wall dives and spectacular sea life. The week we were there was very windy and rainy at times, and that made the seas rocky and difficult to dive. My biggest complaint was that their dive boats weren't dive boats at all, and we fought with the ladders on every reentry. I was black and blue by the end of the week. I have heard on this message board that their boats continue to be substandard.

If you are into night life, Lighthouse Reef isn't for you. If you are into a laid back, quiet retreat with great diving, you may want to check it out. We have chosen since that time to go to San Pedro for all its ambience, activities, and restaurants and take a day trip to the Lighthouse Reef dive sites. Hope this helps.

Journeys End is on North AC. It's OK but there are better places for the $$. What are you looking for?

Are you going to dive or what? If you are going to dive, then Lighthouse Reef. But, everything else San Pedro. Are you on any kind of budget? Last time we were in San Pedro, we stayed at the Blue Tang. Great place, nice pool, walk to most places.
Journeys End is kinda far from the action.

Journey's End is just too far out of the mainstream. Plus they only have 2 boats into town and they are not at the times you would want to go into town. They make sure none of the boats go in around dinner time as they want a captive audience at their own restaurant.

J
J
Journey's End is just that, a long journey to there and a long journey to anywhere from there.

Closer to or in town is mcuh more convienient to the action and great restaurants.

I was at Lighthouse Reef this past March/April and would go back in a minute. They must have a new cook, because the food was great - everyone but a complaining Belgian woman (who complained about everything) loved the food. Choice of about 10 different things for breakfast (best banana pancakes I've ever had), then a choice between 2 main entrees for lunch and dinner. Nightlife depends on the people there that week. The people who work there are always ready to party - but we were all too tired.

They must have new dive boats - actually the boats are contracted from a dive shop in AC - not Amigos - the other big one (forgot the name). I'm a snorkeler...the divers were raving about the diver masters, except for the complaining Belgian woman. I have no upper body strength and had no problem getting into the boat.

If you want a bar every 20 feet, obviously LHR is not for you. If you want peace and quiet, great food and 20 minute trip to the Blue Hole and other nearby dive sites this is the place!

B
OP Offline
B
Thank you for al the replies.

This is a graduation present/last trip with my daughter before she goes to college. We want to relax, dive and explore. We're adventurous and have a pretty healthy budget.

She's 18, I'm 36 so we'd be up for some nightlife, etc. Our preference would be to stay close to the action and have to travel for the diving.

Now, any reccomendations for a place to stay and a good establishment to take us diving?

TIA - I really appreciate the input.

Lots of good places in and around San Pedro town...depends on what you are looking for, price range, etc. Look at Blue Tang, The Palms, Holiday Hotel, Mayan Princess, Sunbreeze, Ramon's, Paradise Villas. A bit further but still walking distance, Exotic Caye, Corona del mar, The Tides, Belize yacht Club...too many to list!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.