Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#88676 - 06/27/04 11:04 PM Trip report from June 11th
knotborde Offline
June 11 - Our flight from Atlanta to Belize City was really uneventful. However, as soon as we arrived in Belize City, we met Jet and had our first Belikin and rum punch at Jet's Bar. When we asked for a picture of him, he pulled me behind the bar and by the cash register, squeezing me very tightly with thumbs up! He was so cute. He's about 4' tall, and therefore, his head hit directly in between the boobs. We did not have time for many drinks as Maya Air was on time. It was a short flight to San Pedro, but it was a beautiful site. We were met at the San Pedro "airport" and took our taxi to Banana Beach where we spent our first two nights.

Banana Beach is a nice, moderate place with a hotel feel. The courtyard suite was spacious and offered all the amenities of home. A/C works well. Quiet, family place. I would not consider it romantic at all. Very small beach. Pool is within the courtyard, so it felt a little confining. The staff was very nice. First lunch was at El Divino. I must say that the grouper sandwich was one of the best ever.

We rented a gas golf cart for the week from Monkey Business, which is located at BB. It was only $265 for 8 days. You turn it in every 2 days and get another one with a full tank of gas.
We were so curious about San Pedro that we immediately drove into town. What an experience! It is an understatement when people say that the roads are bumpy. No matter how much you swerve to miss bumps, they are everywhere. Also, it was very windy during our visit, so the sand was always in the air. Didn't feel clean until we got back home. In town, we basically got our bearings and stopped at Shark's Bar for a quick drink. San Pedro locals are so friendly and happy to have tourists. By the end of the week, it was as if we were locals.

We returned to BB and spent some time at the pool talking to other guests. The pool bar does not serve all alcoholic beverages. In fact, just to get a Belikin, the bartender had to go in El Divino to get it.

We had dinner at Caramba, with which we were both pleased. The Caribbean snapper filet was excellent, but the Jerk snapper filet was too salty. The service was good. If you do not ask for a large glass of wine, you will be served wine in a baby glass and pay the same price. As soon as we made friends with the waiter, we were entitled to adult size drinks. It was a great time and we considered returning for other meals, but we had so many more places to see.

Since we had been awake since 3:45 a.m. EST, our night ended at 10:30 p.m. We wanted to rest up for an exciting week ahead.

Since we have so much to tell, we will post each day separately. Stay tuned for our unbelievably disappointing dinner at Capricorn's! Worst dining experience of our lives!

#88677 - 06/28/04 12:20 AM Re: Trip report from June 11th
mikell Offline
we had similar feelings about BB...smallish beachfront area...confined pool area in the courtyard...hotel feel...

but we really did enjoy our lovely spacious suite there overlooking the ocean with great sunrise views... and the staff was great to us...and el divino meals were first class! it wasn't perfect but it is a clean, well run and more than comfortable place which i have no hesitation recommending.

we also rented golf carts from monkey business...they were very good to deal with...

i'm picturing you on your first trip into san pedro on the roads...remember that ride too!! it was great fun...an experience to remember!

can't wait to read more...

#88678 - 06/28/04 06:58 PM Re: Trip report from June 11th
Phyllis&Ray Offline
I too had the Caribbean snapper at Caramba's - favorite meal of the trip !!

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 45 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,027 Topics
462,224 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.