Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#88893 - 06/30/04 06:15 PM June 14th Trip Report
knotborde Offline
We had good intentions to go to Caye Caulker. We asked VH the times that the water taxi left San Pedro and had planned for a 9:00 a.m. departure. We packed our snorkeling gear and suntan lotion and were ready to leave VH at 7:30 a.m.

We went into town a little early to have breakfast at Estel's. There were only a couple of people there and they were all sitting at what looking like a dining room table that would be in your home. The floors are sand and there are plastic tables and chairs indoors and outdoors. We were greeted at the door and told to choose a seat wherever we pleased. We decided to eat outside so that we could see the water. Apparently, Estel was still asleep because it took about 20 minutes for her to come take our order. We were starting to panic and worry that we might miss the water taxi. When we ordered, Estel guaranteed that we would be out of there in plenty of time to get to the dock. Within minutes, we had our food. The breakfast burrito was fabulous and worth the wait.

I know that everyone on the board says to leave your watch at home, but we had to have it. We did not want have any problems with missing the taxi. We rushed over to the dock, which was nearby Estel's, ran to purchase our tickets to Caye Caulker, and waited for the taxi. We waited and waited and no water taxi. My husband inquired at the ticket counter as to the delay, but was informed that the next water taxi was at 10 a.m. We were confused, but decided that we would forego Caye Caulker and use the tickets later in the week. We specifically decided that we would try again on Friday, June 18th.

We returned to VH and did our usual routine. We went straight to the bar and ordered a Bloody Mary. These are the best ever - even better than New Orleans. (I know that I keep referencing New Orleans. We are originally from there and miss a few things.) The Bloody Mary is made from scratch. They squeeze all there juices and concoct a tomato mixture that could be sold all over the world. It's really hard to remember who all was working, but we had already made friends with all of the bartenders and waiters. I'm sure that Tony, Stone, Enrique, and Lelo were there, but all of our drinks were made to perfection regardless who made them.

I had started The DaVinci Code on the plane to Belize. I was determined that I would finish it. We laid out at the pool until I read every single page. I needed consoling afterwards so my husband made sure to keep the drinks in my hand!

We weren't sure where we would dine that evening until we received a message from a couple that we met during our stay at BB. They were not boarders. (Oh, I forgot to let you know that VH does not have telephones, clocks, or TVs.) Ed and Sara invited us to go to dinner at Taste of Thailand.

We walked into the restaurant and felt like we knew everyone in there. The owners of VH were there, another couple from VH was there, Pedro1 and Chris were there, and that pretty much filled up the restaurant. We immediately recognized Pedro1 and we went to introduce ourselves. We talked for a few minutes and my husband decided to take a photo of me and Pedro1. Not to our surprise, he tried to grab my boobs! The picture is priceless because I am trying to say "no", laugh, and smile all at the same time and he is just being himself.

Dinner was awesome. We shared four different dishes and several appetizers and I think we would all agree that the snapper dish was the best. I can't remember the exact name of it, but it was lightly fried and had a great, hot sauce on it. A little too hot for me, but everyone else loved it.

After dinner, we headed to Crazy Canuck's to hear the Punta Boys. We arrived a little late (well, in our book, 10:30 is late) and the crowd was already having a good time. I even danced with the Punta Boys. Not sure which one because I never got their names. It is really interesting everything that is at the restaurants and bars. Locals, tourists, dogs, racoons. Nothing is forbidden. After all the food and wine at dinner, we hardly had room for another drink. We were champs though and succeeded at least for another 30 minutes. Yes, we left a happening establishment to go home to bed at 11:15. That was okay because we knew that we were meeting a lot of boarders the next day at Fido's. Certainly, we would need to rest up.

#88894 - 06/30/04 07:48 PM Re: June 14th Trip Report
Everglades Offline
Interesting reading knotborde, thanks for taking the time.

#88895 - 07/01/04 12:08 AM Re: June 14th Trip Report
Tippy Offline

Deep fried Fish topped with special cream curry paste and basil.

We think it was this one, number 32.

Tastes of Thailand

#88896 - 07/01/04 06:58 AM Re: June 14th Trip Report
USNA73 Offline
Though of the racoon family that little animal was a coatimundi (http://www.belizezoo.org/zoo/zoo/mammals/coa/coa1.html). We were also there that evening sitting at a table next to the snoozing Brandi.

#88897 - 07/01/04 10:50 PM Re: June 14th Trip Report
chattykathy Offline
We could not believe the incredible dining options while we there in June! Taste of Thailand was one of our family of 4's very favorite!! We enjoyed 2 evenings there and choose it to be our last night dinner. The Weeping Tiger and King Prawns were OUTSTANDING!! We were so impressed with all the resturants on the island (except Jade Garden...everything was horrible and really unedible). Casa Piccasso also found us returning for a second evening. The bananas desert was something up there with perfection. Other top spots were Capricorns and Blue Water Grill. The local restaurants were great too and enjoyed lobster at several of them. Anyway...this isn't a food thread, I just got carried away smile

#88898 - 07/02/04 05:15 PM Re: June 14th Trip Report
cajunman Offline
if it stays alive long enough, every thread here turns into a food thread.....or a Belikin thread

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Marty, 2 invisible), 92 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,728 Topics
461,285 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.