Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#88970 - 07/01/04 08:20 PM June 15th Trip Report
knotborde Offline
We were so ready to wake up because today was the big day. Fishing with Capt. Bicho! We had planned this event four months ago and were waiting for the first day of lobster season. Not sure just how many e-mails and phone calls were made confirming our plans, but we didn't want any problems. We even remembered to buy some Bonine in San Pedro just in case I got sea sick.

Capt. Bicho planned to meet us at the VH pier at 8 a.m. Of course, we were ready and waiting at the pier at 7:45 a.m. just in case Capt. Bicho arrived early. All we needed was snorkeling gear, sunscreen, Safe Sea, and a case of beer and we were all set.

While we waited on the pier, we recognized a small boat just to the left of our pier close to the shore getting bait. To our delight, we read "fishingsanpedro.com"! We were so happy that our time had arrived. A few minutes later,the boat pulled up to our pier and we were greeted by Capt. Bicho and Bicho Jr. We were thrilled to be spending the day with the two of them. Other than hello, the first thing I asked Capt. Bicho was if he thought I needed to take the Bonine. Of course, he laughed a little and informed me that I should have taken it 30 minutes before our planned departure. Better late than never. Certainly, it would take affect quickly.

Capt. Bicho does not automotically decide what type of fishing you do. He asked us what we wanted to catch and we deferred to him. He's the expert, right? Capt. Bicho recommended that we try to go in the ocean and do a little barracuda fishing. Sounded good to us.

It was a beautiful day, but the water looked a little rough. What do we know? We don't do this every day. The ride along the reef was wonderful. A little bouncy, but nothing that we don't experience in the lake on a busy weekend. We probably rode for about an hour when we finally approached a break in the reef where boats pass through to the ocean. We could see that the waves were BIG, but again, what do we know? I was just excited about the possibility of catching a big fish. I'm not sure how far Capt. Bicho intended to go, but we didn't get very far before we had to go to Plan B.

Even though there were about 10 ft. seas, Capt. Bicho and Bicho Jr. knew just how to maneuver this 20 somthing ft. boat in the ocean. Despite their experties, one wave felt like it was going to turn the boat over. I was so scared that we were going to end up as bait for the barracuda. About 15 minutes into the ocean, my stomach was not handling the waves so well. Everyone else was all smiles while I was turning green! The kind person that Capt. Bicho is let me know that if I wanted to turn around and fish inside the reef just to let him no. By the time he finished his sentence, I was asking him to turn around. By that point, I was feeling pretty sick. I had to lie down so that my stomach would ease up.

Once inside the reef again, we hopped to several different spots because Capt. Bicho won't waste time where fish aren't biting. The sad part was that the entire time we were fishing, I had to lie down. I didn't catch a single fish and did not drink a single beer! My husband, however, must have caught 20 snapper and trigger fish and Capt. Bicho and Bicho Jr. caught as many. It was fun just hearing them. Bicho Jr. was so proud each time he or my husband reeled a fish in. I would raise my head every now and again to give my support. I guess they fished for a couple of hours. Then, on to the next part of the day - lobster diving. Perfect timing because I was finally recovering from my bout with motion sickness.

Capt. Bicho would just look out into the water for white areas and stop the boat. Bicho Jr. dove in the water and would come up with a nod "yes" or a nod "no". Capt. Bicho has another boat that his other son and "son-in-law", Charlie, take out for fishing, as well. We ran into them while diving for lobster and the competition began. Bicho Jr. would dive and come up with lobsters in both hands. There was nothing special to keep them in. He would just throw them into the boat. We went to a couple of different spots, but ended up with 10 lobster!

By this time, we had plenty of food for the picnic. Both boats went to a picnic area where Capt. Bicho and Bicho Jr. prepared our food, while the other crew prepared the food for their guests. And I had my first beer! Capt. Bicho saved three of the largest lobster for us to take back to VH for dinner.

I made sure to watch and get the secret recipe. This was probably the first time that I didn't care if the knife was clean or the cutting board was sanitary, but it didn't matter because I knew the food would be great. While they got everything ready, we walked down to Caribe Island restaurant to use their facilities. By the way, it looked like a nice place and we heard the restaurant is very good.

When we returned, we decided to stop at one of the rental houses and talk to the guests. They even gave us a tour of the house. It was a beautiful house, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name of it. Shortly thereafter, the food was ready and it was scrumptous. Fish, lobster, and potatoes enough to feed a party of 20. We ate, all of the crew ate, and there was still enough to feed many more people. My husband ate 5 lobster plus fish and potatoes and he's not a big man! His justification was that we were on vacation and he could work out once we got home. Once we had devoured as much as we could stand, we gave the leftovers to the guests at the house next door who had graciously showed us their home. Really, we felt sorry for them because they were grilling hot dogs!

After cleaning up the area and hiding the grills, we headed off to Shark Ray Alley. Not sure what the deal was, but we were not impressed and did not see a lot of different fish. A couple of rays, one nurse shark, and a bunch of horse-eyed something or other. It was about 4 p.m. and time to head back to VH.

We quickly showered and made our way to our favorite bar in San Pedro, Victoria House. We had the restaurant at VH prepare our lobster and drawn butter and we had an order of Seafood Fritters right at the bar. Excellent. The bar menu is actually very good. We didn't have a single bad dish from there and highly recommend it. They can also serve food from the main restaurant in the bar if you just want to be able to sit in a more casual environment.

We finally decided that it was time to go into town so that we could meet the other boarders at Fido's at 9 p.m. We were looking so forward to meeting everyone that we had been talking to on the board for weeks.

When we arrived at Fido's, Kevin Black was playing. I must say that he looks nothing like the pictures posted all over Fido's. He's at least 10 years older and looks nothing like his brother, Clint Black. He sounded great though playing a mixture of old rock and country music. We immediately saw USNA73, but did not know anyone else. Although USNA73 introduced us to a couple of other boarders, we were absolutely exhausted and did not hang around long. It had been such a long day and we were longing for our pillows. After a few good-byes, we were on our way back to VH by 10. We were finally understanding that we needed at least 8 hours of sleep to get through the days. We knew that we had to be rested up for Wednesday's Chicken Drop and Wet Willie's.

#88971 - 07/01/04 10:15 PM Re: June 15th Trip Report
cajunman Offline
5 Lobsters for lunch????? sounds good to me

#88972 - 07/02/04 01:28 PM Re: June 15th Trip Report
egcntrk Offline
Lobster on the beach is on the list for the next trip. YUM! Enjoying your reports.

#88973 - 07/02/04 07:04 PM Re: June 15th Trip Report
lolamae Offline
I've really enjoyed reading all your reports, but this one I especially loved. We will be leaving for Belize in 7 days and have a day planned with Capt. Bicho on the 14th. I will remember to take my sea sickness med. Especially hearing what you went through. I don't want to miss a single minute. Only 7 days to live the dream!!!

#88974 - 07/03/04 02:41 AM Re: June 15th Trip Report
seashell Offline
Bummer about the seasickness. Myself, whenever, we go over the reef through the cuts, I yell "Yaaaaahoooo". I'm sure sorry it wasn't so exciting for you.

Don't feel alone though, with the sickness. One of my last trips out to the Atolls, there were a number of people ill. Those of us that were not sick, felt their anguish but couldn't look at them. Had we done so . . .well, seasickness can be contagious. Did you know that?

Have you ever tried ginger? Take your seasick meds, but also have some ginger, or even gingersnaps. I hear it works quite well.

Also, I have some friends that used to really get sick, but they started wearing the wristbands. Work like a charm for them.
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,718 Topics
461,262 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.