Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#89024 07/03/04 03:09 PM
C
OP Offline
C
One of my goals on AC was to eat all of the lobster dishes available on the island. I figured with 10 days, eating 2 meals a day, it should be an obtainable goal. But alas, it was not.

I was doing pretty good until day 3 when I got to Carambas and found 10, count em, 10, different lobster dishes on the menu! These were the entrees, not including the appetizers. So I had to start doubling up and get lobster appetizers along with the main meals.

It was a worthy mission and I had lobster more ways than I can name, in every restraunt mentioned on the board, eating over 30 of the critters in my allotted time. I ate lobster twice a day for 8 straight days. Appetizers and entrees!

On the ninth day I rested and ate some red meat at El Divinos. What a meal! Skewers of beef, pork, shrimp, chicken and pinapple, grilled to perfection and served with all the trimmings. Oh yeah, I did have lobster ceveche for an appetizer.

Gained 10 pounds and couldn't snap my jeans when I got home.

Here are my ratings so far:

Best lobster dish for the price, Carambas Coconut lobster. Ummm.....

Best lobster at any price and the best restraunt overall that we visited, Rico's at Banyan Bay. Great food, service, ambiance, staff. Prices not low, but reasonable for the meal. About $100 for 2.

Honorable mention, Fido's, Calientes, Cannibals, Elvi's, Blue Water Grill, and Lily's. All had fast service, great food and reasonable prices.

Worst lobster for the highest price ( I know I'm going to catch it for this), Victoria House. We were not impressed with the food, service or atmosphere. This was the only meal we dressed up for, too. Had on my best kaki long pants and a clean button up shirt. Wife in a nice dress. The food was mediocre, the place was closed up and stuffy, the waiter all but rude. Price almost $200. Oh, and they add 18% gratuity charges to the bill for ya, too! Won't go back there, sorry Capt. Jeff.

We will have to return soon to complete the mission as I really hate failure, but I think I fought a good fight.

laugh

Did you try JamBels?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Cracker,

Made the same tour last week. You got it right. (VH, ditto)

C
OP Offline
C
No, sorry Seashell, did not try Jambels. Just wasn't enough time to fit it all in. Nor did we get to Mata Chicas. I'm going to diet for a couple months until I can get back into my 34s, then have another go at it :-)

ChooChoo, glad I got some agreement there and glad it wasn't just us who thought VH overrated and overpriced.

The first time I ever ate at JamBel's was the first day I was *ever* in San Pedro. I wanted the lobster and so that, of course, is what I ordered. Unbeknownst to me at the time, is that the house specialty lobster is one heck of a hot dish (comes jerked). I couldn't eat it.

The next time I went back, I asked if I could have it unjerked. They happily met my request. It was delicious and since then, I've eaten most of my SP lobster at JamBel's. Deliciiiiiouuuussssss . . .

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

C
OP Offline
C
Yes mam, we found that out at more than one place. The folks down there like their food HOT.
I like it like that too, but some was a bit too hot for me. Good, but real hot. We had a blackened lobster, I think at Calientes, might be wrong, that was borderline inedible, real HOT. Went through 3 packs of Rolaids, wish I had 3 more!

Cheers to a job well done. laugh

CrackerLarry
I too have a delicate palate and soon learned that caliente means HOT! I now always ask if a dish can be made very mild as I will have to send it back if it is too hot. Now I seldom have a problem.
BTW - some dishes just aren't right when they are made mild. wink

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
O
O
Lobster ...mmmmm...had it night before last at Belizian Yacht Club-wouldn't recommend it. Had it last night at Jerry's Crab Shack in a seafood mix in a Caribbean Sauce-very mild & VERY GOOD.
Today . . .pass the round steak (bologna;)
You fought ther good fight, Cracker
Larry

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 268 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.