Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#89278 - 07/08/04 02:46 PM Jack Attack
CrackerLarry Offline
Well, with the turtle attack and the shark attack making news, I thought I would add my jack attack story. Not an attack really, just a misunderstanding, but I thought I would share it to save someone a sore hand.

On our first trip to Hol Chan the guide secured the boat and started throwing out chum. He said we could get in the water, so I was first in. Don't have to tell me twice. There were a lot of horse eye jacks, rays and sharks coming to the chum and nobody got out the boat except me. They were all waiting to see if I got ate, I guess.

The fish were incredible and I came up and asked my wife to throw me the camera from our dive bag. Guide wasn't paying attention. She tossed the camera about 10 ft. to me in the water. I reached up to catch it, and in the same instant a large jack jumped out the water to eat it, thinking it was chum. I caught the camera and the jack caught my hand all at the same time. I thought he was going to jerk my arm out of the socket he hit so hard. The fish was toothless so it only bruised my hand, but my arm joints are still sore two weeks later. Glad it wasn't a cuda or you'd be calling me lefty.

Everybody on the boat freaked. I just laughed and went back to snorkeling. Had it all to myself, too. Never let em know yer scared.

Lesson here, don't throw anything out of the boat you don't want eaten, and don't try to catch anything being thrown out of the boat. The fish are conditioned to eat anything that hits the water and they don't mind meeting it half way.

Nobody's fault but mine. This is not an aquarium and the creatures are not tame. I've been around the water long enough to know this, but got caught up in the excitement of the moment. No big drama here, no killer fish, just creatures doing what they are conditioned to do and I happened to get in the way. It didn't cause me to miss a minute of water time, but it did make spectators out of a few of the boat passengers.

#89279 - 07/08/04 03:35 PM Re: Jack Attack
egcntrk Offline
Good point! Had a nice laugh at the scared spectators & them not getting in the water. Like you, I don't have to be told twice.

#89280 - 07/08/04 04:33 PM Re: Jack Attack
Everglades Offline
Interesting story. I shutter to think what a large cuda could have done to you. Ouch!!
Glad you lucked out.

#89281 - 07/08/04 04:43 PM Re: Jack Attack
Bobber Offline
That reminds me of a story. I happened to get it all on video, which makes it more fun. We were on a family vaca to Cozumel and were out with our favorite divemaster (when you have a bunch of people, you get the whole boat) and completed a dive on the reef and stopped for the snorkelers. As they were bailing out of the boat, my wife (first out) noticed some fish coming up to check her out. They were chubs, about a foot long, and always seemed to be around the boat when we were getting in or out. As luck would have it, we had picked up a 20 pound bag of animal crackers for fish feeding (never saw a bag like that anywhere else) and I started tossing double handfuls into the water next to the wife. A feeding frenzy broke out, with these good sized fish boiling the water and jumping out of it. My wife was angry, but everyone else jumped in on top of them and it made a good video. Nobody got bitten, or my name would have been mud.
Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt

#89282 - 07/09/04 04:21 AM Re: Jack Attack
chattykathy Offline
Our family of 4 dove there last month and had 2 encounters with a Ramora. These are the fish about 3 feet long that hang upside down on larger sea life. They are creepy looking because their heads look upside down and they have a large mouth and then a flat head to suction on. It chased us and tried to suction on to us repeatedly. It really was pretty freaky. It actually bit a guy on our dive and he still had the marks a couple days later when we saw him on the beach. We have a lot of fun making Ramora jokes and are going to make enlarged photo of it for our daughter!

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 46 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,687 Topics
461,187 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.