Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#89326 - 07/09/04 05:10 AM 6 days/5nights -Banana Beach or Mata Rocks or split b/t Ambergris & other parts?
suntravelgirl Offline
Hello! I have never been to Belize but I am trying to plan a trip for either August 15-20 or August 16-21. I am taking the California bar exam at the end of July and this is my reward afterwards with my boyfriend. We only have 5 nights/6 days so we can't see everything so I'd appreciate any advice about what we shouldn't miss. We are thinking of either going to Ambergris Caye and spending all of our time there (with trips to snorkel and maybe day trips inland), or possibly splitting our time between Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker, or even Ambergris Caye and Placentia (flying to Placentia). I know I'm trying to do too much in not enough time but that's all the time we can take right now. We are on a budget but it seems like Belize has decent, good prices if you look hard enough. I want a hotel that is somewhat quiet (not tons of kids since this is a relaxing, romantic vacation), but also simple and not too far out of town. I really want the hotel to have a pool and be close to the beach or on the beach, and it'd be great to have its own bar and maybe even a restaurant or some place for snacks.

From my little research thus far I've been looking at Banana Beach Resort and Mata Rocks. They are right next to each other and I don't know which is "better." Any advice? We definitely can't stay at Mata Chica or someplace that is like $150+ a night but if there is a truly wonderful place we should stay and not miss then we can consider higher prices. We are thinking in the Banana Beach or Mata Chica range ($75+ a night, looks like around $80-$90 is the norm for the simplest rooms since it's low season).

Would it be worth our while to split our time -- say 3 nights in Abergris and 2 in Caye Caulker or Placentia? Or would it be best to just stay in Ambergris the whole time and take day trips to see other spots (Caye Caulker, inland to see the Belize Zoo, etc). Thanks so much for any help. We're 25 and 27 and are adventurous and like to see new things and don't need luxury -- we'd rather find cool unique, different experiences and restaurants etc. than spend a lot of money on Americanized resorts....that beind said, every hotel/resort in Belize looks super unique and wonderful so I'm having a hard time narrowing it down.

Please email me or post back to this if you have any advice. ritaweeks@hotmail.com Thanks so much!

-Rita

#89327 - 07/09/04 12:06 PM Re: 6 days/5nights -Banana Beach or Mata Rocks or split b/t Ambergris & other parts?
USNA73 Offline
IMHO stay at Banana Beach and take a couple of day trips. But whatever your final decision, you will absolutely have a great vacation.

#89328 - 07/09/04 12:52 PM Re: 6 days/5nights -Banana Beach or Mata Rocks or split b/t Ambergris & other parts?
crockhunter Offline
I am probably the only one who will say this, but,to me, Banana Beach is a very nice place but it has way too many people trying to share a small piece of beach. I go to AC to get away from the crowds and they have the most crowded little piece of sand on the whole island.
I agree that for five days, I would just do some day trips from AC. Enjoy your trip.

#89329 - 07/09/04 12:56 PM Re: 6 days/5nights -Banana Beach or Mata Rocks or split b/t Ambergris & other parts?
JeanH Offline
I agree with the above poster. Besides, although certainly walkable, there are nice properties considerably closer to town than Banana Beach or Mata Rocks.

Because we don't care about a pool, we find Belizean Reef to be perfect. The Palms next door does have a pool. No bars at either one, but practically next door to BC's.

On the other end of town, we had a nice stay at the Blue Tang last summer. The pool is small, but nicely landscaped. And Wet Willie's is right at the end of the dock.

Jean

#89330 - 07/09/04 01:24 PM Re: 6 days/5nights -Banana Beach or Mata Rocks or split b/t Ambergris & other parts?
Fluffy Offline
I stay at Exotic Caye Beach Resort (www.belizeisfun.com). I book through Kat, aka Tuki Tuki. You can email her at tom2speed@msn.com. She rents out her one bedroom condo and the price is within the range you are looking for. It is about a 10 minute walk into town, has it's own beach bar, Crazy Canucks; Monkey Business is on site which is a restaurant; Peperonis is across the street which has the best pizza on the island; the grocery store is right around the corner; the resort has an above ground pool and the beach is large and very nice.

Don and Carol the managers are very nice and accommodating.

As for splitting your time, Caye Caulker is very laid back, more so than AC. It is alot of fun and when you go, you have to make your way down to the split and have a couple of cocktails at th Lazy Lizard. There isn't as much night life on Caye Caulker as there is on AC. I would suggest you take a day trip over to Caye Caulker or maybe even an overnighter but it all depends on how you want to spend your time.

Regardless of where you choose to stay, you'll have an awesome time!

#89331 - 07/09/04 02:54 PM Re: 6 days/5nights -Banana Beach or Mata Rocks or split b/t Ambergris & other parts?
alaurieb Offline
My husband and I are of similar ages (25 and 28) and we just stayed at the Xanadu for our wedding/honeymoon and thought it was perfect. Just far enough outside of town to be quiet but not so far as to be inconvenient for getting to town.
The Xanadu has beautiful and modern condos with bedroom, living room, and kitchen available. They also have a nice pool and bikes and kayaks for the free use of their guests. There is no bar/restaurant on site but many within very close walking distance. Susan and Martin will go above and beyond to make your stay perfect and will arrange any activities you may want. We wouldn't change a thing about it.
I would not try and split my time between two places if I were you. Those 6 days will be over before you know it. smile
Regardless of what you decide - you will have fun. It is amazing down there!

#89332 - 07/10/04 01:53 AM Re: 6 days/5nights -Banana Beach or Mata Rocks or split b/t Ambergris & other parts?
Badco Offline
Gotta ditto the Belizean Reef Suites!!!! SOOOOO convenient, clean and has everything for cooking to boot.:-)

#89333 - 07/10/04 08:06 AM Re: 6 days/5nights -Banana Beach or Mata Rocks or split b/t Ambergris & other parts?
okie Offline
I am at the Palms which is next door to the Belizean Reef Suites. You are so close to town yet right on the beach. Dining and clubs close yet not intrusive. Ramon's is next door and it has a cleared swimming area, has a great place to tan and has an artificial reef under their pier so you can snorkle. Leaving tomorrow to go home . . .

#89334 - 07/11/04 03:21 AM Re: 6 days/5nights -Banana Beach or Mata Rocks or split b/t Ambergris & other parts?
coex-pilot Offline
If you haven't seen my photos of the BB, then check out the thread on the board. Here's the link for the pictures:

http://www.kona-cafe.com/bananabeach/index.htm

#89335 - 07/11/04 04:58 AM Re: 6 days/5nights -Banana Beach or Mata Rocks or split b/t Ambergris & other parts?
ScubaLdy Offline
coex cool
Great photos - best I've seen on the board in a while. Do you live in California? You sure look like someone I know. confused

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (ragman, JED), 33 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,210 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.