Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#89426 - 07/12/04 02:01 PM first trip to Belize
beginintotravel Offline
My husband and I are from Canada, and have heard only good about Belize, and are wondering where is the best place to go, what to do, what to visit?
Are there any othe Canadians who have been?, and how did you travel? Direct flight or from home to the states and then to Belize?

#89427 - 07/12/04 02:56 PM Re: first trip to Belize
Johnboy Offline
Beginintotravel,Check out MataRocks (on the search)... Terry & Liz (the owners) are from Canada.. I'm sure they will supply you with all there is to know....We have stayed at MataRocks every trip ( 4 years) & we LOVE it..... cool wink laugh

#89428 - 07/12/04 03:08 PM Re: first trip to Belize
egcntrk Offline
You're questions might be better answered if your interests were known. What do YOU want to do? confused See the ruins, visit a spa, snorkel or dive, sit on the wonderful beach, meet the people; all of the above?

AC is a charming island with wonderful people. The reef is superb and there is a wide variety of lodgings to choose from, each having a different charm. Many choices of cuisine...local being my favorite.

Whatever you choose...be prepared to throw away the watch, kick off the shoes and engage in island life. wink

Happy planning and travels! cool

#89429 - 07/12/04 05:25 PM Re: first trip to Belize
beginintotravel Offline
We want to fish, snorkel, lay on the beach, maybe visit a rain forest on the mainland. But mostly be with the people.

#89430 - 07/13/04 10:13 AM Re: first trip to Belize
MALIBU Offline

We returned from Belize yesterday. What a great place! Contrary to the suggestion of JohnBoy, who I know and love, we stayed on the North of Ambergris Caye and I believe this is where you want to be. See my trip report following on another thread today or tomorrow. And remember these items when packing:

Do Not Bring:
Hair dryer, makeup, long sleeves, shoes other than flip flops. All of these will be dead weight to lug in your bags.

Have Fun!

#89431 - 07/13/04 10:17 AM Re: first trip to Belize
okie Offline
We just got back. Loved it. We believe that Ambergris Caye is a great place for "base". You can make arrangements to go anywhere in the country from there and it is a really neat place to stay. I would suggest staying somewhere close to town so you can walk to clubs, food and shopping. We stayed at The Palms and just loved it. (You can look at maps on this site to locate where lodging and restaurants are located). We were about a block from the airport (heard planes maybe 3 times in a week). The young man from the airport brought our luggage to The Palms when we arrived. We were right on the beach next to Ramon's where we could snorkle off their dock. We walked up the beach about a block to dining. etc. Look up The Palms on this website, you will like it.
Reminder: don't over pack. We took a big suitcase apiece and used not even half. You will need long pants etc. for the jungle but for Ambergris Caye you need only shorts, cool shirts and flip flops. Bug spray and sunscreen a must. Plan to relax and enjoy. The people are friendly, the food is good and the hammocks are out of this world.
I could go on and on and on and on. Feel free to e-mail me personally with any questions.

#89432 - 07/13/04 11:25 AM Re: first trip to Belize
seashell Offline
beginintotravel, you don't say where in Canada you are traveling from. That info may make a difference with regard to your question about the flights. In any event, there are no direct flights (or charters) to Belize from Canada. In my case, I only have a one hour layover in Houston between legs, and so it's not bad at all.

You will get a variety of opinions on where to stay in San Pedro, north, south, in town, etc. And of course, I have my opinion, which is stay in town or south. North can be very beautiful, but if you are social people, want to try all manner of restaurants, and really experience the flavor of SP, you need to be able to easily access the place, without worrying about water taxi's and/or daily bumpy rides.

I also agree that you won't need as many clothes as you think you will need before you leave home. My personal packing list does include a hairdryer, sandals other than flipflops (I don't wear flipflops at all actually), sundresses, sarongs, a couple of pairs of shorts and cool shirts. The only time I wear a t-shirt, is on the dive boat, I find them too warm, otherwise. But you'll want a t-shirt for snorkelling too. Don't want to get a burn on your back, right?

You can get all manner of daytrips, into the jungle, to see ruins, etc., out of San Pedro. During my stays, I rarely get off the island . . .too happy there.
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#89433 - 07/13/04 03:14 PM Re: first trip to Belize
egcntrk Offline
Here's the rub on north vs. south:

Stay north of the cut & if you plan on making daily trips into SP you'll have to take the water taxi or rent a golf cart [that road can be a killer] = spend money

If you stay south & close to town it's a quick walk to anywhere you want to go = more cash to spend on food, etc.

The hairdryer: found it helpful a few times. My hair was long & though thin it takes much longer to air dry with the high humidity. So, if you're in a hurry to get somewhere and don't want wet hair, take it along. With shorter hair it may not be an issue.

#89434 - 07/15/04 05:53 PM Re: first trip to Belize
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
The majority (not all) of the nicer properties are just a few miles north or south of town (Mata Chica, Captain Morgans, Banyan Bay, Mata Rocks, Victoria House).

These all will require a short ride to the downtown area, which is spreading. Really good restaurants can be found all over the island now (Casa Picaso, Las Margaritas, Taste of Thailand, Papis, Capricorn, Portofino).

But then again, everything you need is right out your front door - the Caribbean.

Many of these properties also offer kitchenettes which can help you save a lot (leftovers, drinks, snacks).

Being in town is not all what it seems. It is very crowded and either muddy (after it rains) or very dusty (when it is dry). The little streets are full of bikes, golf carts, delivery trucks and taxis.

It can be very refreshing to stay a bit away from all this, especially if you are looking to relax on an uncrowded beach and enjoy the sounds of the birds, wind blowing through the palms and the surf crashing on the reef.

Just an opinion.

SIN cool
Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Philus, 1 invisible), 35 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,697 Topics
461,208 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.