Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#89438 - 07/13/04 11:55 AM fly fishing patterns
jderie Offline
Since I live with a fishing fanatic and we will be in AC March 1 to 8, 2005, he would like to tye his own flies for bonefish, permit and tarpon. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look these up or can you give me some names of flies or directions etc. We still haven't booked our guides. These are tough decisions. Thanks for any help I can pass on to the big guy.

#89439 - 07/13/04 04:15 PM Re: fly fishing patterns
krehfish Offline
He'll probably tie too many(we all do)but, I'd recommend Silver/white wing and gold/tan wing crazy charlies for bonefish. #6 and #4 in a range of eye-weights. The bones aren't tough and anything thats gets to them with flash will do. For tarpon, tie keys-style flies in white,black, red and yellow, all grizzly hackles; sized a bit small in March--1/0,2/0 will do. The Lemay big-eye series are good examples. Permit around AC seem to prefer shrimp patterns rather than crab styles. Some tight and light cockroach patterns are good on hooks #2 to 1/0. For guides try Vincent Dawson or Manuel Azueta. You can schedule them through Tiffany at Ruby's Hotel. They'll pick your husband up wherever you're staying. Actually the first week or two of March I'll be down too, so one of those guides will be booked! Keep in touch with the board over the year.
Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.

#89440 - 07/13/04 05:15 PM Re: fly fishing patterns
captjeff Offline
if you book capt bicho ,fishingsanpedro.com you can e mail him ,your questions as he is a expert,he will share with you all you need to bring with you .. if you want to have great fishing on the flats,,try him out ..there are good guides here ,but I think he is just wonderful..and will produce action packed days for you check out all the rave reviews he gets from the all the people who used him from the board ..live the dream ,enjoy.
Living The Dream Every Day!

#89441 - 07/13/04 05:24 PM Re: fly fishing patterns
Hey Jeff,
I've got a group coming down in January that want to fish, fish, fish! I gave them Bicho's information, and they got in touch with him that same day. They just emailed me and told me that they are doing a huge countdown calendar! I told them about you and that you go down every month. They all agreed that was the way to live.
Hope to see you again soon!

#89442 - 07/14/04 09:10 AM Re: fly fishing patterns
captjeff Offline
viki be down the 3 of august to th 10 ,will try to to hook up with you this time !!!!!!!!
Living The Dream Every Day!

#89443 - 07/14/04 01:49 PM Re: fly fishing patterns
jderie Offline
krehfish: Thanks for the great information. You're right. We went to the Bahamas and had way too many flies. I'll try to hold him back this time. I'm leaving the guide choosing up to him. I don't want to be responsible.

#89444 - 07/21/04 06:02 PM Re: fly fishing patterns
BLUE_48_98 Offline
just got back from a.c on the 19 of july. spent 2 great days fly fishing for bones , tarpon, permit.you only need 2 flies. a crazy charlie in a #8. forget the #4&#6. root beer or pearl esence will do. for tarpon a standard 2.0 orange grizzly hackle with orange palmered hackle. the permit hit the #8 crazy charlie like a mack semi. no hesitation at all.cought and released 23 bones in 2 days using the root beer colored #8 crazy charlie. i too tied my own flies and could have left all but those two patterns home. you will no doubt hear about guides for fishing. but! i used george bradley ( phone 011-501-226-2179) e- mail at roxsam@btl.net. i am a fly fisher. george is without a doubt a fantastic indiviual and guide. i came away from my experience with george a more knowledgeable person. you dont get that from to many guides these days. good luck and tight lines.

#89445 - 07/22/04 02:25 PM Re: fly fishing patterns
krehfish Offline
BLUE: Congrats. Great post and it's nice to have the name of another quality guide. I'd sized up to #4s only b/c most fish are quicker than I am and it's easier to get the hook out. Haven't really noticed a differemce in takes. Just shows how agreeable Belizean bones are.
Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.

#89446 - 07/22/04 04:37 PM Re: fly fishing patterns
seashell Offline
This is just a general question that has been niggling at me for some time.

With all the avid fisherman than seem to show up on this board from time to time, why doesn't anyone ever talk about El Pesacador? And why aren't the fisherfolk looking into that resort, in the first place?

I'm just curious. I've got no dog in the hunt, so to speak.
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#89447 - 07/22/04 04:45 PM Re: fly fishing patterns
jderie Offline
We decided to stay at Banana Beach because our friends had been there. I didn't know about El Pescador at the time. The people I was going with didn't want to stay north and use the water taxis. We also wanted to do a lot of different things besides fish and I didn't know how those trips got planned through a fishing lodge. I have had quite a bit of contact with a guide named Richard French with Belize Flatsfishing. Does anyone have any feelings on this? Blue 48_98_ Thanks for the info on the flies. The specifics are great. How did you find George Bradley?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 22 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,718 Topics
461,262 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.