Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#89538 07/14/04 04:47 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Coming to San Pedro on the 28th after a few days at Turneffe Flats lodge. Been lurking in the forums for a few weeks now and have not seen any real mention of the lee side of the caye. Any kayaking and fishing going on back there?

Also heard mention of some wadeable flats at the north end of A/C from another forum but no specifics about how far north.

I'll probably do another day guided unless I'm totally burned out at Turneffe, but looking to fill in a few hours. It would be a gas to actually land a bonefish all by my lonesome.

Thanks

K
K
OZTB: The lee side is generally a vey soft-bottomed place. Fishing is good but not wadeable. It would be a nice place for kayaking 'cuz it has less traffic. I think it lacks the variety of heading south. With the price of gas at $8usd./gal. though some guides are staying closer to home(lagoon) or adding surcharges to go to Savannah or Long Caye. I've seen the same mention of wadeable flats up north. However you need a guide to get up there.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
krehfish: your advice and information is right on with the exeption of the price of gas. It is around $8 Belize not US. Don't give the powers that be any ideas. They are already greedy enough.

PS: OZTB, I think you will find the fishing at Turneffe to be to your liking. When I have avid divers and fishermen friends visit me, I like to do a combination trip of heading South, my preference is The Blue Marlin Lodge on Southwater Caye, to do the serious diving and fishing and then back to AC for all it has to offer.

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks for the replys, Belize really does have alot to offer and this website and forum has proven invaluable for A/C information. My primary interests are fishing and laying about and there seems to plenty of that available.

I was really considering Southwater and Blue Marlin, they mentioned tuna on a fly, which got a friend of mine interested but he can't make this trip so I went with Tflats because of the wading right there.

It's really looking to be a great trip for sure.

OTB

J
J
Are there any wadeable flats that can be reached from San Pedro? Where is Turneffe Flats? Krehfish: When you say up north, where does that mean? By Captain Morgan's, etc?

J
J
I couldn't tell if this message got posted, so I sent it again. Are there any wadeable flats that can be reached from San Pedro? Where is Turneffe Flats? Krehfish: When you say up north, where does that mean? By Captain Morgan's, etc?

O
OP Offline
O
I've been reading several forums and there doesn't appear to be any wadeable flats at Ambergris unless you go by boat. Turneffe Flats is a lodge at the south end of Turneffe Atoll. Go back to the ambergriscaye.com main menu and click the maps link and you'll see it on one of the big maps.

OTB

K
K
I've been fishing most often the last few years near Long Caye and St.Geo.caye. There about a 45 minute ride south from AC. I think Turneffe would be about an hour more southeast and Belize City about an hour west/southwest. After 3-4 hours down there we fish it back to AC. There are some wadeable flats 1/2 way back and a bit to the west but there small. Certainly nothing like the hours you spend wandering aroud Turneffe. The flats in northern AC are way up the island and require a guide. Interesting about Capt. Morgan though. We stayed there our first trip to AC, and it is a great place for first-timers. They've got a very predictable school of bonefish around their pier/beach mid-morning and again late afternoon that are/were above average in size. The day we arrived I was sitting on their seawall and realized I was looking at a couple dozen tailing fish. Thought I'd died and gone to...The beach is open to fish, lots of turtle grass, but the pier is off limits unless your a guest(makes sense). Hope that helps.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
J
J
You guys are awesome. Thanks I'll pass on the information.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.