Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
OP Offline
C
I'm 59 years old, have been using a computer for the last 20 years and this is the first time I'm in a chat room. I'm a bit nervous, but here goes.

My husband and I are thinking of coming to Ambergris Caye next February. I'm told flights from the States arrive in Belize City and you can get a connecting flight to San Pedro. Is this true, or are there other modes of transportation to get you to Ambergris Caye?

We don't know much about Belize, but the pictures on the internet make the beaches look spectacular.
Is it necessary to rent a car on the Caye or can you take a cab or walk to most of the restaurants for dinner? Are dress clothes required for dining or are all the restaurants so casual that we should leave dress clothes at home?

How is the weather (generally) in February? Is that a good time of the year to come there? I'm sure just being there makes it a good time no matter which month you choose.

Hopefully, someone will respond to this "Nervous Chat Room Nelly".

Cancun Pat
Hi, Nervous Nelly - I'm 60, and just returned from 3 weeks in belize. You will have a great time! The beaches are NOT spectacular, but the water is. Snorkeling in Belize is great, but you need to take a guided trip to the reef or another snorkeling area to really enjoy it. The swimming off the beaches is really swimming off the ends of the piers (which is OK, by the way). The water is warm, clear as gin and just lovely. I think the weather is always good. We were there in June, so I can't really comment on Feb. You certainly don't need a car on the Caye (in fact it would be damn hard to get one there!). You fly ($46?) from Belize City to San Pedro, and once there, you walk, take taxis (pretty reasonable) or rent a golf cart to get around. depending on where you stay, you can definitely walk to everything. dress is always shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops (or bare feet). There is nowhere in San Pedro that requires you to "dress up" (except maybe church on Sunday?). Have a great time, and keep asking questions on these boards - it is the absolute best way to plan your trip! Sharon

We will also be there the first part of Feb. staying at Captain Morgans. We love the island and have made it our regular get a way in the winter. Don't worry about packing the fancy cloths as this is as laid back a place as you can fine and that is the beauty of it. Mabe we will run in to you there.

Trust me Nelly, leave all of your nice clothes and jewlery at home. There's nowhere to go wearing that stuff...

Once you fly into Belize City you have 2 options of getting to AC... fly or boat. Flying only takes 20 minutes as opposed to an hour by rocky boat. Trust me on this one... fly over. You can do that on Maya ot Tropic Air.

Another decision is where to stay on AC. For the most part AC is cut in half by a small body of water. Below the "cut" or above the "cut". If you pick a place above the cut you must rely on water taxi's to take you back and forth to town. Many places up north only have a few taxi's during the day... personally, I would stay south of the cut. You can walk, or renta golf cart to get around.

Finally, the weather in February is nice... the rates are a bit higher until about March when they srop into low season.

Enjoy! eek

Hey Nelly. This board can be a wealth of information, just ask the question and someone will respond. You may want to check out the web site www.belizeislandvacations.com , the young lady that runs the site has family on AC and is very nice. You can email her from the web site or call her toll free number and she will answer any questions you might have. We have booked through her twice and everything was great. And yes, AC is a shorts/swimsuit, t-shirt and flipflops kind of place!!

C
OP Offline
C
Thank you all. I'm so pleased I "climbed Mt. Everest to actually join a chat board". You have all answered my questions and I can't tell you how much I appreciate your fast responses. In the weeks ahead I will visit some of the sites you've suggested. Thank you again.

Cancunpat

Cancun Pat
Welcome Aboard cancunpat smile

From now on it will be easy to talk, we'll all try our best to make your visit delightful.

ONE thing, be prepared to have a second choice of something to do on the island. Be as flexible as possible.

Belize time is in reverse, or mostly much slower than anyplace I have ever visited. Sometimes you can relax into the melted 'jello' mode. Go with it and have fun smile

My husband and I will be in San Pedro 29 Jan-13 Feb 05. We are staying at The Blue Tang. Stayed there last time and loved it. Can walk almost any where you want to go.
Only bring about half the clothes you think you need. T-shirts, shorts, etc. That is all you really need. My first time to San Pedro I brought all kinds of clothes and didn't wear even half of them.
From Belize City take the flight to San Pedro, it is so amazing.
Been to San Pedro all different times of the year, pretty much had good weather all the time.
It is a great vacation, each time we come back we stay a few days longer because it is sooo relaxing and fun. My husband dives and I don't so I always bring a couple of books. Sometimes I read them, sometimes I don't.
NY Girl is right, be flexible and you will have a ball.

Cancunpat: I think that you will get to really apprechiate San Pedro as compared to Cancun. One thing to consider is that San Pedro is a real town...not a development. The Belizian people are very nice...and for me, a greater attraction than the water or reef.

Gone fishing!!
We generally visit first part of Feb. Weather is usually quite nice, warm during the day and a bit cooler during the evening. Remember Feb 15 is the cutoff for lobster, so if you need lobster, get there before the 15th.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 319 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.