Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#89849 - 07/23/04 02:53 PM Ambergris Caye to Playa del Carmen
azscubagal Offline
Does anyone happen to know how to travel between Playa del Carmen and Ambergris caye? We're planing a week in both and the only advise from a travel agent was to fly back to Houston and then to Cancun. I was hoping for a more economical travel solution.

#89850 - 07/23/04 03:13 PM Re: Ambergris Caye to Playa del Carmen
egcntrk Offline
Would like to know that one myself. I recently checked airfare from the States to CUN and CUN to BZ & at this time the fare from CUN to BZ was the same as IAH to CUN. Kinda high. Anyone have ideas?

#89851 - 07/23/04 03:18 PM Re: Ambergris Caye to Playa del Carmen
CHOOCHOO Offline
The bus. The bus.

#89852 - 07/23/04 03:55 PM Re: Ambergris Caye to Playa del Carmen
GAY AND DAVID Offline
we went the other direction.
flew to corozal, enjoyed a long lunch at tonys, had alvin leslie take us across the border to chetumal (your driver is a great help at the boarder crossing), spent a fun night in chetumal at cocos hotel (you can shop your butt off there too), take the primo clause (1st class) bus to playa del carmen. not a bad journey. good ac, american movie, functioning toilet. david, being 6'2" said that it did get a bit cramped but it is not a bad ride.

#89853 - 07/23/04 05:28 PM Re: Ambergris Caye to Playa del Carmen
Everglades Offline
Gay and David, How long did it take from Chet to Player? Thanks

#89854 - 07/23/04 05:37 PM Re: Ambergris Caye to Playa del Carmen
egcntrk Offline
Just how bad is MX 307 from the BZ border to Playa? I've not heard good things about that stretch of road. lol

#89855 - 07/23/04 05:45 PM Re: Ambergris Caye to Playa del Carmen
JeanH Offline
We went from San Pedro to Mexico last spring as well. I think the flight from SP to Corozal only cost $35.00 per person. Bruce and I were the only passengers on the flight. There was a cab driver at the airport who offered to drive us to the bus station in Chetumal for, I think 40.00. He did make crossing the border very easy, as he kept track of our luggage. We hopped on a bus to Tulum and arrived there about 3 or 4pm. Only a three hour bus ride. Not bad at all. Playa del Carmen would have added another hour. There was some significant road construction close to Chetumal, but after that it's an easy drive/ride.

The cab driver gave us his card and said he would come and pick us up at Chetumal if we desired on our next trip. In fact, he said he would drive all the way to Cancun if we wanted. Hate to think what that might cost. I can probably find his business card if anyone wants his name.

Jean

#89856 - 07/23/04 05:48 PM Re: Ambergris Caye to Playa del Carmen
GAY AND DAVID Offline
i want to say it took about 4 hrs. no more, maybe even less. the bus makes 1 stop in a small town. can't remember the name. (maybe puerto morales, if that is not along the way i am thinking of somewhere else.) you miss the end of the movie unless you go on to cancun. we got off at pdc and took the ferry to cozumel. the road was not bad at all. sometimes you feel very very close to oncoming traffic. i was thinking a couple times that the driver should pull the side mirrors in! it takes a lot to scare me on the road, i ride with david!!!!

#89857 - 07/23/04 10:01 PM Re: Ambergris Caye to Playa del Carmen
Everglades Offline
Thanks JeanH and Gay for the info. Sounds like a fun trip and not as long as I anticipated.

David,........ we need to talk about your driving. Anyone that can top those Mexican bus drivers is bad,..... make that BAD. (smiles)

#89858 - 07/24/04 03:16 PM Re: Ambergris Caye to Playa del Carmen
silkpainter Offline
I do that trip every few months also. Like Gay, I fly from SP to Corozal, and I also use Leslie taxi service to do the crossings, I've tried the bus and other taxis and I feel Leslie is the best for what I need to do (I'm always hauling a lot of stuff) They take you right to the bus station and will bring you into the terminal and help you get your ticket also. The bus from Chetumal to Playa is 4 to 4-1/2 hours. If you want to return to Belize, you can call Leslie's the day before and they will meet you whatever time you need them to. I've been met by them at 5 a.m... on time.
I've also driven the route a few times and will stick with the Mexican bus system from here on out.
--Lee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Pokey, 1 invisible), 46 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,027 Topics
462,224 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.